why am i not losing weight?

Options
crys_vb
crys_vb Posts: 25 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been working out for over two years now. Previously due to my arthritis i was doing zero excersize and i weighed about 102 pounds and i ate whatever i want.. now i average about 400-900 calories burned in an hour-an hour and a half workout, i try to eat (healthy) about 1200-1400 calories a day and i just feel like i'm constantly bulking?! I have GAINED weight up to 8 pounds at one point.. why am i not losing anything?!

Replies

• kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Did you just say you weigh 102 lbs? How tall are you?
  • jcamby77
    jcamby77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything that you put in your mouth. Do not eat back all exercise calories burned, as they are usually overestimated.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jcamby77 wrote: »

If she wasn't eating enough, she'd be losing weight.

How tall are you? Do you use a food scale? Unless you're doing a progressive heavy lifting program, you aren't bulking.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're 102 and you want to lose weight?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    maybe because you don't really have any weight to lose.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    kspoon5 wrote: »

I was 102 i now weigh about 108/109 and i'm 5'1
  • crys_vb
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    jcamby77 wrote: »

If she wasn't eating enough, she'd be losing weight.

How tall are you? Do you use a food scale? Unless you're doing a progressive heavy lifting program, you aren't bulking.

I'm 5'1 and i have a food scale and if i eat 1200 cals i feel like i'm starving myself

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    crys_vb wrote: »

so as i suspected...you really have no weight to lose...you're at the low end of a healthy weight for your stats.

hmmm...my spidey senses are telling me that maybe there are some other issues here...
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options

so as i suspected...you really have no weight to lose...you're at the low end of a healthy weight for your stats.

hmmm...my spidey senses are telling me that maybe there are some other issues here...[/quote]

Exactly what I'm thinking.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

hmmm...my spidey senses are telling me that maybe there are some other issues here...

I guess you have to see me to know what i mean , i actually look like a chubby person but i can feel SO much muscle underneath a layer of fat
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you do not need to lose any more weight. You would probably benefit from doing a recomp or bulk and getting on some kind of structured lifting program. Your posting indicates that you may have some kind of ED issue, and you may need to seek help from a professional.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I vote for recomp. Google search or search these MFP forums for recomposition. It involves lifting heavy weights to build muscle while you eat at maintenance.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you do not need to lose any more weight. You would probably benefit from doing a recomp or bulk and getting on some kind of structured lifting program. Your posting indicates that you may have some kind of ED issue, and you may need to seek help from a professional.

I don't have an eating disorder, if i want a donut i'm going to eat a donut, i just don't have the shredded look that i really want. Again i'm only five foot and i weigh 109 pounds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I don't have an eating disorder, if i want a donut i'm going to eat a donut, i just don't have the shredded look that i really want. Again i'm only five foot and i weigh 109 pounds.

then I would suggest a structured lifting program + a bulk/cut cycle or recomposition ...

losing more weight is not going to make you "shredded"....
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Start lifting weights do a 5x5 program you wont have the "shredded look" if you have 0 muscle mass.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I guess you have to see me to know what i mean , i actually look like a chubby person but i can feel SO much muscle underneath a layer of fat

Eat at maintenance calories or slightly above coupled with a decent resistance training plan. Don't worry about the scale unless you know how to reliably track you body fat percentage and interpret the two metric properly. Reassess after 6 months. You'll be golden.

Your goal is not in fact losing more weight but improving body composition.
  • crys_vb
    Options

Start lifting weights do a 5x5 program you wont have the "shredded look" if you have 0 muscle mass.

I do have muscle that's the thing, i can feel and see the muscle but it's not distinguished, i lift weights and rotate heavy sets one week and lighter sets more reps another. I can't lose the fat on top of my muscle
  • crys_vb
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Eat at maintenance calories or slightly above coupled with a decent resistance training plan. Don't worry about the scale unless you know how to reliably track you body fat percentage and interpret the two metric properly. Reassess after 6 months. You'll be golden.

Your goal is not in fact losing more weight but improving body composition.

Thank you!