Would you eat food ONLY for its nutritional value?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One of the things I promised myself very early on in this process was that I wasn't going to make myself eat food I didn't like, and I wasn't going to give up any foods that did. I feel like it's made adherence much more tolerable.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh god no... I'll gag if eat foods I don't love, no matter how good the nutritional value is. I eat foods I love. I'm not gonna make myself suffer. :laugh:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who likes quest bars frozen?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll eat food I don't like if I feel it's a waste of money to not eat it, like certain flavors of Quest bars I've purchased, or take out meals, etc.
    But I won't purchase foods I already know I don't like very much, even if it's nutritionally awesome. One exception is Greek yogurt, I don't like it on its own but I like its nutrition profile and I use it as an add in to cut calories of creamier foods (like ice cream and dressings) and a sub for sour cream; its versatility as a creamy high protein low calorie food works well for me despite me not enjoying just eating some plain yogurt on its own.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i will eat things i dont prefer, but i will not choke something down for health.

This. I won't eat a whole MEAL of foods I don't like, but in small quantities, I'll eat some things just because they're good for me. Like broccoli. I'm not a big fan, but I'll eat it as a side.

But artichoke, no. It smells like armpits, and I don't want armpits on my tongue.

• Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hmmm no, but i wouldn't eat something that's totally not ok in my eyes just because it's yummy.

I've given foods I didn't like a try, and in different meals they do turn out better mostly,but some I just won't have,like guayabas ( dunno english name) I love the smell but the texture eeewwww

I like my food to taste good and be good, and yes I don't like junk food,but I'm not saying people can't have it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    i will eat things i dont prefer, but i will not choke something down for health.

This. I won't eat a whole MEAL of foods I don't like, but in small quantities, I'll eat some things just because they're good for me. Like broccoli. I'm not a big fan, but I'll eat it as a side.

But artichoke, no. It smells like armpits, and I don't want armpits on my tongue.

Yeah pretty much. I'll stick to the veggies I can tolerate, lol.

I have a hard time believing that everyone loves veggies though, or I guess a lot of people don't bother eating them?
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My protein shake with chia seeds. I get absolutely no enjoyment from it and will give it up at some stage but at my current calorie deficit it would be nearly impossible to get enough protein and fibre otherwise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I have a hard time believing that everyone loves veggies though, or I guess a lot of people don't bother eating them?

I love most veggies. I really think that most people would if cooked right. This probably is not the case for you, but in the US I think lots of people think they dislike them because they have them overcooked or canned or cooked in unappealing ways (like boiled). I grew up thinking of veggies as mostly okay to tolerable--my mother didn't cook them that well, usually, although there were some things she did I liked, like sauteed summer squash with mushrooms or, of course, broccoli and cauliflower in a cheese sauce, plus plenty of raw stuff in salads--but I learned to eat them since we were required to. As an adult I also learned to cook them to my taste (LOTS of roasting and sauteeing, almost no boiling, except for some greens preparations, no canned except for tomatoes in a pasta sauce or soup sometimes) and to focus on what's in season when possible (makes a huge difference for some, like asparagus, less for others, like broccoli, IME), and as a result I do really enjoy them. (If I didn't like them much I'd still eat them and keep working at it, but that's probably the one exception to my "don't eat what you don't like" theory.)
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes, but only for protein or fiber really.
  • GeapetCore
    GeapetCore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do try to drink coconut water even though I do not like it (always hated coconut). I have low potassium and can only eat so many bananas. Thankfully if I drink it quickly, I only grimace once at the end of the bottle. :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I love most veggies. I really think that most people would if cooked right. This probably is not the case for you, but in the US I think lots of people think they dislike them because they have them overcooked or canned or cooked in unappealing ways (like boiled). I grew up thinking of veggies as mostly okay to tolerable--my mother didn't cook them that well, usually, although there were some things she did I liked, like sauteed summer squash with mushrooms or, of course, broccoli and cauliflower in a cheese sauce, plus plenty of raw stuff in salads--but I learned to eat them since we were required to. As an adult I also learned to cook them to my taste (LOTS of roasting and sauteeing, almost no boiling, except for some greens preparations, no canned except for tomatoes in a pasta sauce or soup sometimes) and to focus on what's in season when possible (makes a huge difference for some, like asparagus, less for others, like broccoli, IME), and as a result I do really enjoy them. (If I didn't like them much I'd still eat them and keep working at it, but that's probably the one exception to my "don't eat what you don't like" theory.)

It's a good point but then... when I roast my veggies, I get more calories from the oil than the veggies... and I'd still rather eat something else for the calories!
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes. Bottom line, food is fuel.

Sure, I prefer when it tastes good. But most of my food choices are not for taste. For things that don't taste good at all, I'm always seeking alternatives (prep or replace).
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Do you eat foods that you don't like because it's good for you? Is that sustainable?

Yes, I do, all the time. And yeah, it's completely sustainable. HOWEVER, motivation makes a huge difference. If you don't have to, I don't think most people would do it.

I do it because I don't have any other choice. I have a lot of allergies, which eliminates a lot of food choices for me. And as my allergens are ALSO typically making up inactive ingredients in vitamin supplements, I've either got to find foods to give me what i need, or get sick.

It's not fun. Frankly, it makes it so that eating is not enjoyable any more, and it's simply another chore to do, most of the time, like vacuuming. But like most things, you would be amazed at what you can do when you suddenly have no other choice, you know?

I have to agree I do also eat things that others find revolting. Mainly for their nutrition impact and cause the medication I take has killed my taste buds. If you have no clue what it really tastes like then just go for nutrition.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Would you eat food ONLY for its nutritional value?

No.

I group foods into 3 categories:

1. Stuff I like that has health benefits and makes up the majority of what I eat:

fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes

2. Stuff I like, but has little to no benefit or I only eat in moderation for other reasons:

beer, animal products, coffee, fried potato products, fats and oils, doughnuts

3. Stuff that tastes awful to me and has no business being in my body:

processed/overcooked/enriched/packaged/frozen/canned things that pretend to be food: canned ravioli and similar, frozen dinners (this site does them justice: http://jezebel.com/5879868/what-your-frozen-diet-dinners-really-look-like-hint-disgusting/ ), meal replacements and freaky supplements including "health bars", Doritos, soda and sweetened drinks, margarine, McNuggets, any beverage served in a cup with domed lid, Maraschino cherries, "cafeteria food" (pretty much anything that might be served at a public school or hospital), the bagged lettuce with the off taste, canned lima beans, etc. yuck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I love some, like others, don't like some and hate a few. Just like cookies. Just like anything.

I agree with lemur that a lot of people think they don't like some veggies because their mom just boiled it and stuck it on the plate, probably with a little margarine. People have had veggies prepared in ways that suck. If you boiled the heck out of hamburger, you probably wouldn't like that, either.

There are a lot of things that can be done with veggies so that they end up tasting good. Most people who think they don't like veggies have never bought different kinds and tried making them different ways.
  • chubalicious1
    chubalicious1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Never had salmon before but know it's so good for you. I bought some, made it and loved it! But was ready to force it down if I didn't like it because it's so good for u.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This question has been on my mind since yesterday. Would you eat some food, or all food, only for its nutritional value?

Do you eat foods that you don't like because it's good for you? Is that sustainable?

No.

If I've only got a limited number of calories to work with, I'm going to eat foods I like. I refuse to waste time on foods I don't like. Why would I?

Fortunately, as it happens, I like foods such as ... brown rice, chicken, tuna, most veggies, pretty much all fruit, yogurt ... :)

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well veg is a whole category of food, so even if you can find just one that you like, you'd fall under the category of "liking vegetables". I like certain salads but can't be arsed to make them myself at home. I like baby carrots - they taste great with Swiss cheese! And chicken salad for me doesn't quite feel right without celery...
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Although I do enjoy chicken, I have to admit that I do sometimes eat more than I might otherwise like to purely because of the protein content in it.

That said, I woudln't ever eat anything I didn't like purely because of the nutritional factors of it.