13»

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah, it is roughly 7000 exra kcal to gain 2 lobs. Roughly. And that is extra, so not including what your body burns in a day.

I think it would also depend on what your body can physically do. I amguessing that there is a point where your body gives up on absorbing and just passes the food through. Just guessing.

Plus some foods are more easiliy absorbed than others. That would make a difference.

Serum insulin levels will also affect how fast you put on fat. Insulin helps store fat, so if your insulin levels are higher, you may store fat more efficinetly. Carbohydrates will raise insulin, as will protein to a much lesser degree. Those with insulin resistance (T2D or prediabetes) will have higher levels of insulin in their blood stream too.

Insulin tells cells to store fat. That means the fat already has to be there, available to the cells. That means, the fat already has to be in your body.
    It's a common misconception that people get about insulin. Honestly, that your body stores it is actually a good thing - the alternative is that your blood stream has fat floating around which we tent to call cholesterol and triglycerides and associate with negative health outcomes.
    In people who already are generally considered healthy and have a low body fat, you'll find their insulin is more active and stores fat faster. Insulin resistance is the body doing this slower and less.
    None of that really has to do with fats being taken up from food.

actually insulin signals cells to take up glucose not fat, what you posted is completely and utterly wrong! The glucose can be then used for energy or stored and eventually can be converted to fat. keeping it simple gotta go to work.

^^^This is true

This thread is full of utter disinformation

Your mitochondria burns your fat. Eat a deficit and exercise.

As your muscles seek fuel your mitochondria sources glycogen and lipid mix. Exercise in a fasted state and your mitochondria physically adapts over time to source more fat

I have lost 145 lbs of fat and reversed my diabetes doing this with dr and nutritionist supervison and 6 month blood tests along the way

Calorie deficit sets the stage. What you do with it is a personal decision. I'm enjoying endurance training in that state.

It works for me.

But please anyone in this thread look up some of this stuff in Google

There is so much wrong in this thread it is scary.
    I've already clarified why martinecoates was over simplifying.
    Go take a look at what I posted. Using Google isn't simply typing in what you want to hear.
    There is nothing special about fasted exercise. Absolutely nothing. For all the increased fat burning you're doing while fasted, your body will just source more energy from carbohydrates later if you eat foods that are a mix. The human body isn't that naive. It's had to become highly adapt at using any and all fuel it comes across, or we wouldn't be here today.

I've done a few grad school papers.

Every class required one at minimum

Your replies are getting a bit presumptive you are dealing with people seeking only to justify their opinion and not learn current info

Our understanding of how the mitochondrial function impacts weight control and how that internal switch works is opening new understandings in type 2 diabetes treatment.

So yes, there are some new ideas and it never hurts to check them out

A better understanding of diabetes could be a huge deal.

Google search is good. But you have to be a good researcher and not call dissenting views outliers.

The body will regulate the set points of fuel mix, If you present a consistent diet.

Mine burnt over 3 lbs of fat since last weigh in.

I'm not going to argue with results and biology to back it up

Rock on man. I don't think discussing this further with you will matter

Different strokes for different folks

• irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I was just talking about this with a friend of mine on Thursday night. She just got a Fitbit and is a scientist in organic chemistry. She says that there is no way to know exactly how many calories you get out of your food or how many you burn. All of the tools we use are useful and do help us to at least get a good best guess. The important thing is, are you getting the results you want, and if not then make some adjustments until you do.

That's what my doctor was told, too. It's all guesswork.

I think all these tools are great if you keep in mind that they are not precise but are probably consistent. The actual numbers really don't mean much, but if you see them changing over time in a more healthful direction and notice that those changes correlate with improvements in weight, size or general feeling "healthier" then you are probably moving in the right direction.