Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    haha! You 2 are the bomb.
  • AllieMalle
    AllieMalle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great, Great story! Thanks for sharing! ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!
    YOULL BE AT 25-30 in no time at all!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you are two lbs down from last week, when you took the swim suit photos.

Congratulations!!!!

i love these stories. Keep them coming. They bring a smile to my face!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    If somebody pulled that on me, I would consider it abuse or something pretty darned close to it.

My advice is to make your own goals and not let anyone -- including your husband -- tell you that you need to do more, especially if your knees are hurting. And you have every right to change your goals if you find you are in too much discomfort to continue the workout and reach them. As we age, it becomes even more important to listen to our bodies, because if you get injured from over-stressing a muscle or joint, it can take even longer to heal than it did when we were younger.

You are the one that has to live in your body once you have finished your workout -- not your husband!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If somebody pulled that on me, I would consider it abuse or something pretty darned close to it.

My advice is to make your own goals and not let anyone -- including your husband -- tell you that you need to do more, especially if your knees are hurting. And you have every right to change your goals if you find you are in too much discomfort to continue the workout and reach them.

You are the one that has to live in your body once you have finished your workout -- not your husband!

Don't worry, Jane. Ed has never forced me to do anything. I'm too much of an alpha personality for that.

On the contrary, this man worries more about me than I do about myself. He fusses over me, like I am made of glass. I am truly a very spoiled lady.

I told someone already today that Ed will be an absolute wreck, when I get my knee surgery. He cannot stand to think of me in pain. As for working out in pain, he knows me very well and will insist that I stop, if he thought that I was going too far and causing myself any pain. Believe me, Ed watches me like a hawk to make sure that I don't do anything that would hurt me. His coaching is more like playful teasing and encouragement.

There is NO ABUSE here. The title was just a joke...not intended to make you concerned about me; but thanks for caring. :smile:
  • janebshaw
    Options
    OK, good luck, but that kind of coaching would NOT work for me!

I would not tolerate a coach, husband, or anyone else making me think I had almost finished a workout, then telling me I had a lot more to do. When I go to my fitness class, I like to know upfront what a workout is going to consist of and how long it will last. If I am tired and/or sore and can't do as much as was originally planned, that has to be OK too. Because I believe that listening to my body and knowing when to stop is much more important that forcing it to do more than it should.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i would've stopped and never gone swimming with him again.
    i'd have swum alone and never told him how far.
    i'm cranky and difficult that way.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I noticed that you are two lbs down from last week, when you took the swim suit photos.

Yeah. I guess that I have lost at least one pound since my swimsuit arrived. My eye is on the 70 pounds lost mark for my surgeon. Ed wants me to call the doctor, when I hit 210 pounds. We are both hoping that he will put me on the list for the surgery just a little bit earlier. Getting on the list is the first step. My first knee surgery could be 3 months later, so the sooner I get on that list the better.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options

Without my hubbie, I couldn't have even got up the courage to put on that swimsuit. Without Ed, I couldn't even get into the pool. I love him. I need him, and he makes my swimming more fun. Sharing this time with him is the best reason for going to the pool.

Cranky doesn't work for me. I love to laugh and play around too much.
  • janebshaw
    Options

I don't think you are cranky and difficult at all!

You're an independent woman, just like I am!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    He sounds like a keeper :wink:

You're absolutely right, Sis.

I wouldn't want to share my life with anyone else. He is the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would've pulled the noodle out from under him and smacked him with it then carried on with my laps. :laugh:

I probably would have challenged him to swim with me too.
    Get off your high noodle and put your money where mouth is :bigsmile:

I should have told girls first. ED CAN'T SWIM. :laugh: He only floats. The pool is only 4 feet deep at the DEEP END, but he won't go into the pool without his noodle, even though he can stand up and walk the length of the pool without getting into more than chest high water.

Talk about a sissy. Coach Curry won't even try to dog paddle. :bigsmile:

Ok...I take it back. I'd THREATEN to pull the noodle out from under him and smack him with it :smile:
    Keep on swimming girl!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Ed and I just got back from the pool. I did my 20 laps today.

Ed was there for the last 10 laps and started cheering loudly, when I turned over to my back for the final leg of lap 20. He was there, when I touched the wall and stood in the shallow end. I fully expected him to tease me and say, "Now, just 10 more." or some other silly thing. Instead, he looked at me with a smile and said, "Time to get Mama in some warm water, before those muscles cramp up."

Then, Ed helped me out of pool, wrapped me in a big towel and put me in my wheelchair. He rolled me across the hot patio to the spa and made sure that I was safely in that bubbling water, before he went back to gather up the rest of our stuff by the pool.

I did 20 laps in 50 minutes this morning, followed by 10 minutes of down time in the spa. Now, that's what I call a good hour of workout.

We're going back to the pool tomorrow, and I can hardly wait.

Friday, we will be out of town all day. I am taking my sweetie to the Del Mar Fair in San Diego, one of my favorite annual events. I want him to see the gardens, the rose show, the animals, the craft buildings and the big commercial buildings.

This is a place that I visited almost every year from my childhood until 2004, when I moved to Nevada. That when I met and married Ed. This is something from my past that I really want to share with him.
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY WHOLE LIFE! HUZZAH!!! just goes to show that going at ur own pace will always lead to a victory!
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Awww! This story was just too cute :)
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I loved reading you story :) Such a sweet hubby!

I am super grateful my husband works out with me. He really does push me to do better (the "it's all you, one more, you got it"). What I love doing is if he gives me a number or reps or laps or something of the sort, to go a little above and beyond. Ex. He wanted 10 reps, sometimes I'll give him 15. I love seeing how excited/proud he gets!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I loved reading you story :) Such a sweet hubby!

.....What I love doing is if he gives me a number or reps or laps or something of the sort, to go a little above and beyond. Ex. He wanted 10 reps, sometimes I'll give him 15. I love seeing how excited/proud he gets!

I thought about doing 21 laps yesterday, when I heard Ed start cheering me to the wall on lap 20; but I knew that I had already been swimming for most of an hour. I didn't want to overdo a good thing and not be able to swim the next day.

Today, I am going to try and push through to 21...22...or even 24 laps, because we won't be able to go to the pool tomorrow. We are going to be out of town all day. So, today's swim should be a good one.