which potential adverse effects
    of protein was identified, the
    upper end of AMDR based on
    complementing the AMDR for
    carbohydrate and fat for the
    various age groups. The lower
    end of the AMDR is set at
    approximately the RDA..

http://iom.nationalacademies.org/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRIs/New Material/8_Macronutrient Summary.pdf
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That said, there is an upper limit to how much protein your body can actually use. On average, Americans consume three to five times more protein than they need...
    Most people need 40 to 70 grams of protein per day (the CDC's general protein recommendation for adults is 46 g a day for women, and 56 g a day for men).

SAD protein intake is right at 100g/day. On what planet is that "3 to 5 times" more than 46g?

An article that can't even get simple things like that right is not an article I'm going trust.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

SAD protein intake is right at 100g/day. On what planet is that "3 to 5 times" more than 46g?
    By SAD, you are referring to the Standard American Diet. I will repeat myself, I did not refer to SAD, I was quoting actual MYF members.

• johnnylakis
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Lol... I'm 108lbs and eat 120-150g protein and I dont even try, its just how I eat :joy:

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

By SAD, you are referring to the Standard American Diet. I will repeat myself, I did not refer to SAD, I was quoting actual MYF members.

From the OP...

On average, Americans consume...

That by definition is referring to SAD.

The article is ****.
  • johnnylakis
    Options

All that is instantly shot down by our ancestors through the hunter/gatherer phase, who ate animals for food most heavily,
    Our ancestors, even 50 years ago, did not eat meat pumped full of antibiotics and hormones.

• johnnylakis
    Options
    The quality of protein being consumed today is poor at best. By consuming too much of it, you increase your health risks. Those who consume too much protein and suffer bad health will remember my post in 30 to 40 years.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options

All that is instantly shot down by our ancestors through the hunter/gatherer phase, who ate animals for food most heavily,
    Our ancestors, even 50 years ago, did not eat meat pumped full of antibiotics and hormones.

well keep up that great work and keep getting skinnyfat eating your 50g or p a day.

protein.jpg
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish Posts: 831 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

While this is true, it does not change the fact that this alone shoots down the entire idea. Yeah you added additional factors too, so what? Now you need to prove that by adding antibiotics and hormones that protein over 40-70g/day causes health problems, where it didn't before. Go on...

And even one could prove this, you would only prove that its the addition of the other factors, not protein over 40-70g/day that caused the problems...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Way to shift the goal posts.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
  • johnnylakis
    Options

And even one could prove this, you would only prove that its the addition of the other factors, not protein over 40-70g/day that caused the problems...
    Again, I did not say protein over 40-70 was a problem. I said protein at 3 to 5 times more than that amount is a problem. I bolded 3 to 5 times in my original post.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Again, I did not say protein over 40-70 was a problem. I said protein at 3 to 5 times more than that amount is a problem. I bolded 3 to 5 times in my original post.
    But that is wrong. As was pointed out. "The average American" does not consume 3 to 5 times that amount, and that amount is also the minimum recommendation as to not become deficient, not an upper maximum. You should not eat LESS than that. Furthermore, if you'r exercising (you know, what pretty much everyone on here does) that amount is not enough as has been stated many times.
    http://www.usada.org/resources/nutrition/proteins-role-as-a-team-player/