More running questions - sorry! Should I be pushing harder and if so how?

Options

Replies

• nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    @erockem - no in a good way!! I have one of those wrist things that I put my phone in and run MapMyRun on it - I guess I could always use that to get me home I never even thought of that!

We just run until we can't then we walk!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would echo everyone else's thoughts, especially the "doing fantastic" part :)

I had sore shins when I started running and I went to a local running shop. They had a treadmill with a camera, analysed the way I ran and fitted me shoes accordingly. I was previously running in shoes with no support (barefoot) when I actually needed quite a cushioned shoe. Between my new shoes, shorter stride and just general fitness levels improving, I don't get any pain (touch wood!) in my shins anymore.
  • h_thrilla
    h_thrilla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 6 months and I feel as if I am progressing slowly. I was extremely overweight, I have a sit down job, and haven't ran in literally 15 years. I battled with shin splits, tight calves and ankles, improper running form, hurt knees, and exhaustive breathing for a while. It took my body quite some time to build the stabilization muscles in my legs. I still battle quite often with my knees, tight ankles, and my breathing. It is important to find that balance of pushing yourself versus allowing yourself time to heal. Have you tried run intervals like run 3 min, walk 2 min? Or 5 and 1, or 10 and 1? As a challenge, I will run faster for a short burst of time. I try to take more frequent smaller steps when running rather than over-striding. As a rule of thumb, for every 2 steps, I take a breath in, 2 more steps, and take a breath out to regulate my breathing. I found keeping distractions very low helpful to remain focused so you can build endurance. I set mini goals often as I run to push myself. My running shoes are Nike Free and they are pretty great. Although my foot likes to over-pronate so I battle that often. I stretch often and do calf raises and pay attention to my form. After running, I stretch, massage, ice, and take Ibuprofen as necessary. Its an ongoing progression for me and may be for you too. You are probably doing better than you think and its your trainers job to help you push your limits.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    yeah it's a walk/run programme that I do, I tend to challenge myself to say, run to the next lamppost before stopping. And I've really been working on shortening my stride.

I do enjoy it especially the buzz afterwards, I just feel like I should be better!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    running belt
    though as I'm getting longer runs in I'm considering getting ones with a water holder.

you are doing great. you are doing better than so many people and you are trying so that is all that matters
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    but walk up to the dogwalker please.
    I have so many people run up to us. some dogs will see it as a threat

I've had people run/bike past on the dog side and almost lose a calf

just a mini thread hijack

If your dog bites people that run by it has no business being out in public. You shouldn't taunt them but I don't think that other people should feel the need to cross the street to avoid you.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    yeah it's a walk/run programme that I do, I tend to challenge myself to say, run to the next lamppost before stopping. And I've really been working on shortening my stride.

I do enjoy it especially the buzz afterwards, I just feel like I should be better!
    Keep it up and you will get better. It takes time but it's worth it.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

If your dog bites people that run by it has no business being out in public. You shouldn't taunt them but I don't think that other people should feel the need to cross the street to avoid you.

all dogs can be startled. while my dog doesn't bite, I can't speak for other dogs and it is good practice to pass on the human side when walking by. no one said anything about crossing a street

• _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

all dogs can be startled. while my dog doesn't bite, I can't speak for other dogs and it is good practice to pass on the human side when walking by. no one said anything about crossing a street

Generally you're supposed to stay to the right side of the trail and pass on the left so it mostly depends on the dog owner. I've only had one bad experience where a woman couldn't control her German Shepherd and I had them ejected from the park. There are the occasional people who let their dogs run out 20 feet of leash right across the trail. My favorite is still the lady that wouldn't leash her dog and it decided to run with me while she chased us begging for me to stop running. This happened twice before I called back to her and said "I'm doing 3 more miles. Try to keep up." She said "Please stop. I can't catch you." :laugh:

I've never met any bad dogs. Just bad owners.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    OP, you're doing a great job and should be proud!! For a while I was frustrated that I couldn't get any faster. That's when I learned that in order to become faster, I first have to simply run more miles. So I slowed down and tried to add in more miles to my runs and that has slowly improved my pace. To be honest, I just don't have more time in my schedule to keep adding more miles at this point, so I'm accepting my slower pace for now with hopes to progress in the future. But for now, I'm running and burning calories, and enjoying what I CAN do and not stressing much about what I can't do.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    as someone still in the walking/biking phase of their regimen (barely two months in), i have to ask what is possibly the most newbie question ever: what, exactly, is a "gait analysis" and where does one get this done?
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you @jaga13 - it's hard seeing everyone else run off ahead of me but I have to remember that we all start at different stages and they were probably fitter than me when they started.

@misterwendy - when you go for running shoes at a decent sports shop they do a "gait analysis" where they analyse the way you run and all sorts of technical things about your feet and technique - so they can find the trainer that best supports you.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    as someone still in the walking/biking phase of their regimen (barely two months in), i have to ask what is possibly the most newbie question ever: what, exactly, is a "gait analysis" and where does one get this done?

I went to my independent running store. I had a store employee watch my gait (how I run) and we went and tried shoes on from there. some places I'm sure are about the money only but I felt like he knew what he was talking about. the store is also very active in sponsoring and supporting the local running community. It also had good reviews online.

• erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My favorite is still the lady that wouldn't leash her dog and it decided to run with me while she chased us begging for me to stop running. This happened twice before I called back to her and said "I'm doing 3 more miles. Try to keep up." She said "Please stop. I can't catch you." :laugh:

I've never met any bad dogs. Just bad owners.

Laughing out loud. I will do this next time also.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    guess what - I did it!! My trainer told me I should be running 20 mins non-stop and yesterday I ran 20 mins non-stop and ran most of the way back!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    guess what - I did it!! My trainer told me I should be running 20 mins non-stop and yesterday I ran 20 mins non-stop and ran most of the way back!!!

the most useful think I learnt about running is that its 99% in your head
  • nicola8989
    Options

It so is! I've been spending so long thinking "I can't run" then when I started "I'm bad at running" but just someone telling me I can do it, and the girls in the group pushing me on, has been so helpful
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

That's awesome!! Amazing work!
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're really putting in a lot of work, so good for you!! But you may be putting in too much time running. I don't know how much you run with the group, and then you say you go out several times during the week, too...it could be too much for a beginner. Aim for 3-4 days a week, max, and try not to make them back to back. Run at a pace you could carry on a conversation at...there is no "fast" or "slow" when you're running...just what pace is right for you. :) Don't let your trainer make you think you "should" be able to go a certain pace or certain distance...I have very fit friends that have been running for years and can run a whole marathon but still are "slow" at around a 12 minute mile. You're moving and you're improving, that's what you should focus on!!

I'm not a big fan of compression socks to deal with shin pain because it can cause you to run through pain instead of taking it for what it is...your body trying to tell you something. Advil and stretching help with shin-pain, but you also need rest. If you only treat the symptoms (i.e. the pain) the pain will often turn into an injury...and shin splints are an extremely common running newbie injury usually caused by doing too much too soon. A rule that's gotten me through 2 marathons and 16 half-marathons is "if it hurts, rest it". I haven't had any running injuries, and I really credit that rule. Taking an extra day off here and there when you're tired and/or hurting will not ruin your training, but not taking a day off when you need it can.

The breathing thing was explained to me once to think of your belly as a balloon, and when you breathe in, try and fill that balloon (ie: push your belly out with air) instead of just your lungs...it helps to get more air into your system. I don't understand the science behind it, but when I take deep breaths when I run, I try and fill my belly with air, too.

Do you run with music?? I suggest making a kick-*kitten* playlist you only listen to while running to distract you and give you something to smile about. Sometimes it helps to focus on something other than thinking "am I done" "I could go faster" "my knees hurt" etc...at least it helps me, I would die without music!

Good job making it to your 20 min goal!! Keep it up!
  • _Waffle_
    Options

It so is! I've been spending so long thinking "I can't run" then when I started "I'm bad at running" but just someone telling me I can do it, and the girls in the group pushing me on, has been so helpful

What a great story. It makes me happy seeing others enjoy their workouts and know that yes, they too can do it. Great job!