How low can I keep my protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The cdc recommends about 46g for women, 56g for men.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's based on averages and the .8 g/kg minimum. It doesn't address the issue of maintaining muscle while on a deficit.
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am currently 227lbs and 40% body fat. I would like to lose 10% of my body fat while keeping as much of my lean muscle as possible. I am vegetarian and so my protein consumption tends to be on the low side, today I got about 40g of protein for example.

I know some sources say to eat huge amounts of protein but I am really not convinced that is healthy long term for example this study http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711217 links high protein diets to dementia.

I do agree high protein makes people look good and makes them strong but it also seems to be negative long term for health.

In addition I like to eat a high antioxident diet with lots of fresh vegetables and some fruits, nuts etc because that is good for my skin.

What is the minimum amount of protein I can eat to meet my goals of losing fat and keeping my mucle as much as possible?

Thank you!

Note: I am a vegetarian but I do eat eggs and milk.

My macros are 80-10-10 (not the diet). 80% Carbs - 10% Protein - 10% Fat This works for me, and I feel really good. You can always try going up and down with the numbers until you find a ratio that works for you. I find it is easier to fulfill my protein than it is my fat. Some days I am a little over 10% in fats and/or proteins, sometimes less. You honestly don't need a lot of protein. Unless, if you are into bodybuilding or fitness modeling or whatever requires a lot of muscle, you don't need it. What you need are the essential amino acids and you can get all of those from plant-based foods. Give your kidneys and liver a break and they will thank you later, in your older years.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's based on averages and the .8 g/kg minimum. It doesn't address the issue of maintaining muscle while on a deficit.

+1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Aim for 100/day- the math works out for averages if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it- but if you want a general ball park- aim for around 100 a day and you'll be fine.

You won't always hit it- but that's okay too.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would not think about it as being a "high protein" style. It's about getting the necessary macronutrients your body needs while maintaining a certain amount of calories a day. You need a certain amount of protein a day to preserve your muscle mass. When your calorie intake is less than your calories burned a day; you not only lose fat, but you lose muscle mass as well. Your body needs protein to keep repairing itself daily, the fat to keep your organs protected, and the carbs for energy and to keep things moving (because your body can't use the protein to repair without the energy from the carbs). The best way to determine how much protein you need is to follow a calculation that MyFitnessPal already gives you when you enter your information, but for a more in-depth look follow:

Your goals will determine your macros. So it's not necessarily always about eating a significantly high amount of protein for the long-term, but getting to where you want to be, and adjusting your macros.

Do you want to lose fat? Then your carbs will need to be lower than your protein and fat intake.
    Do you want to maintain your weight and figure? Then your carbs should be eaten at a moderate amount.
    Do you want to bulk up? Then carbs will cover most of your plate.

First, find out how many calories you need a day based on a TDEE method. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Next you determine your macronutrients: Understand that 4 calories = 1 gram of protein, 4 calories = 1 gram of carbs, & 9 calories = 1 gram of fat. Your body needs about .8 - 1 grams of protein per each pound of body weight you have (and your goals). If you want to decrease your body fat, I would go with the 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So you said you are 227 lbs, you would want 227 grams of protein, which is 908 calories a day. Fat, as females should be at about 30% (males at 25% and never drop below 15%), of your calorie intake in a day, so take your TDEE calories multiply by .3 and divide by 9 to get your grams of fat a day to meet. Then take your TDEE calories, minus the calories for protein and fat and what you have left over is your carbs, divide by 4 to know how many grams a day of carbs you should intake.

Example: My TDEE based on me being 5'0" 152 lbs female working out 3-5 times a week wanting to lose .5 - 1 lb a week makes my calories at 1600 a day. This means, if I want to lose fat, I need 152 grams of protein a day, which is about 608 calories, 30% of 1600 is 480 calories of fat for 53 grams of fat a day, 1600-608-480 = 512 calories of carbs or 128 grams of carbs a day.

Read more: http://www.bodyrock.tv/posts/calculate-macros-part-2

• lemurcat12
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    I would not think about it as being a "high protein" style. It's about getting the necessary macronutrients your body needs while maintaining a certain amount of calories a day. You need a certain amount of protein a day to preserve your muscle mass. When your calorie intake is less than your calories burned a day; you not only lose fat, but you lose muscle mass as well. Your body needs protein to keep repairing itself daily, the fat to keep your organs protected, and the carbs for energy and to keep things moving (because your body can't use the protein to repair without the energy from the carbs). The best way to determine how much protein you need is to follow a calculation that MyFitnessPal already gives you when you enter your information, but for a more in-depth look follow:

You do need a certain amount of protein/day depending on goals, and there seem to be benefits from more protein beyond the minimum required for health if the goals are to maintain muscle mass in a deficit, but it doesn't have a thing to do with percentage of your diet.
    Do you want to lose fat? Then your carbs will need to be lower than your protein and fat intake.
    Do you want to maintain your weight and figure? Then your carbs should be eaten at a moderate amount.

This isn't true. You can do all of those things at a wide range of carb percentages.
    If you want to decrease your body fat, I would go with the 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

There is no benefit to this much protein unless someone just likes eating this way, which OP said she does not. It's particularly ill-suited for someone with lots of weight to lose, like OP.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »

Your goals will determine your macros. So it's not necessarily always about eating a significantly high amount of protein for the long-term, but getting to where you want to be, and adjusting your macros.

First, find out how many calories you need a day based on a TDEE method. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Next you determine your macronutrients: Understand that 4 calories = 1 gram of protein, 4 calories = 1 gram of carbs, & 9 calories = 1 gram of fat. Your body needs about .8 - 1 grams of protein per each pound of body weight you have (and your goals). If you want to decrease your body fat, I would go with the 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So you said you are 227 lbs, you would want 227 grams of protein, which is 908 calories a day. Fat, as females should be at about 30% (males at 25% and never drop below 15%), of your calorie intake in a day, so take your TDEE calories multiply by .3 and divide by 9 to get your grams of fat a day to meet. Then take your TDEE calories, minus the calories for protein and fat and what you have left over is your carbs, divide by 4 to know how many grams a day of carbs you should intake.

Example: My TDEE based on me being 5'0" 152 lbs female working out 3-5 times a week wanting to lose .5 - 1 lb a week makes my calories at 1600 a day. This means, if I want to lose fat, I need 152 grams of protein a day, which is about 608 calories, 30% of 1600 is 480 calories of fat for 53 grams of fat a day, 1600-608-480 = 512 calories of carbs or 128 grams of carbs a day.

Read more: http://www.bodyrock.tv/posts/calculate-macros-part-2

Protein levels are set based on per lb of lean body mass not weight. If the OP's body fat is accurate, then she should be eating around 135g of protein. Fat intake should be .35g to .6g per lb of lean body mass, or 47g+ of fat and carbs can be the rest.

And everything in the bold is completely false.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat a high carb - very, very high carb - diet. I still lose weight. I don't recommend my diet to...well, to anyone. If I didn't have to go low-fat, I just wouldn't. I'm not even suggesting that high-carb is good for anyone. But the carbs don't prevent everyone from losing and...

...I have to say it, in all caps this time...

FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE GOOD FOR YOU!!! Edamame is a nutritional powerhouse!!

Sorry about the screaming. There's just so much sugar and carb talk lately with people giving up fruits and veggies. I even met someone IRL who had given up fruit.

Eat your fruits and veggies, people.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Those of us who have the best success with fat loss and maintaining focus on protein and veggies the most, and just enough healthy fat and carbs for energy and health.

Since you eat eggs and milk I believe Egg Whites and Greek Yogurt are going to be your best bang for calories/protein ratio.

I'm only 5 tall foot and I try to get 100 grams of protein a day (usually more), I've found it keeps me feeling better and less hungry and that makes it successful. Most others who stay fit will feel the same way.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Sorry about the screaming. There's just so much sugar and carb talk lately with people giving up fruits and veggies.

Yep. Drives me crazy.