Does anyone log their binges?

Options

Replies

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I log it all, I don't have anything I would call "binges" (which is a serious term that I think a lot of people misuse), but I do have days where I go well over my calorie goal. I think it's important to log it because then I can see my progress based on how much total I've eaten that week/month/whatever. For example, I can see if I still managed to stay under my weekly calorie goal, and lost weight, even with the cheat day. If I didn't manage that, I know to tone it down a little next time.

Ditto, if I don't log the day I eat it, I log it the next day.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Yup.

I ate a lot for the 4th of the July weekend. Twas all in good fun.

You can enter the day into the recipe builder and log the entire thing as one serving of you feel it will make you more accountable.
  • kaileyfry
    kaileyfry Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do. This app is to keep track & find people to get anf give help with.
  • Mgonza55
    Mgonza55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOG IT. IT HELPS KEEP ME HONEST!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Log it. Maybe include a note about how you were feeling physically and mentally--it might help you in the future.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes I log it. I want my numbers to be accurate.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Log it. Quantify it. Understand it.

Often I can look back at days where I've eaten like double my calories for the day and I can see patterns like maybe I didn't have enough water, or I was low on protein, or it was 28 days from the last time I wanted to eat the world.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 oranges in a row a couple of days ago. I had the *ahem* munchies - not at all typical for me, FWIW. I decided the safest thing was fruit. Best damn oranges I have had in awhile. I weighed and logged them, and stayed in my calorie limits for the day. Does that count as a binge?
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Log it. MFP's approach to nutrition fundamentally requires an honest and complete assessment of your calories--All of them, both in and out.

You put it in your mouth, so it went into the deposit side of your CICO ledger. If you want to understand how your books look when the auditor (aka your scale) weighs in, you need a full and complete picture of your calorie spend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you're logging, you should log it...if you're logging, you should log the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I log it all, I don't have anything I would call "binges" (which is a serious term that I think a lot of people misuse), but I do have days where I go well over my calorie goal. I think it's important to log it because then I can see my progress based on how much total I've eaten that week/month/whatever. For example, I can see if I still managed to stay under my weekly calorie goal, and lost weight, even with the cheat day. If I didn't manage that, I know to tone it down a little next time.

Ditto, if I don't log the day I eat it, I log it the next day.

Same here on the logging the next day.
  • leahzerke
    leahzerke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hadn't in the past, but in the spirit of trying to keep up my MFP streak I did this time. I spent a long weekend at the cabin/on a road trip and logged the entire thing. A bit of a reality check. I have been keeping around 1300 calories pretty consistently and my binge days were around 3000. And I didn't think I was being THAT BAD at the time. Alcohol and snack foods add up pretty good...
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I kind of hate that the scale doesn't always reflect a binge. I'm all like:

"oh man, that was bad, I deserve to be punished by the scale gods."

Step gingerly on the scales...waiting for the scale pointer to go up to the mark that says 'you ate HOW much?? The scale gods are so judging you right now and you shall be punished by a 5lb gain!!'

Only to find the scale gods don't really care. They barely notice you and you find you are the same weight you were yesterday as they couldn't even be bothered to add water weight!

I get off the scales and think "whew, I got away with it."

I then find, not long after, I am thinking...."well if I got away with it yesterday, I can get away with it again today..."
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Log it, how else are you supposed to know if you are still in a deficit? Besides, if you see how much it truly is it might help you stop.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Step gingerly on the scales...waiting for the scale pointer to go up to the mark that says 'you ate HOW much?? The scale gods are so judging you right now and you shall be punished by a 5lb gain!!'

Only to find the scale gods don't really care. They barely notice you and you find you are the same weight you were yesterday as they couldn't even be bothered to add water weight!

I then find, not long after, I am thinking...."well if I got away with it yesterday, I can get away with it again today..."

Haha seriously!! This happens to me sometimes and it definitely makes me feel like I can get away with it, which is NOT good.. lol!
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Haha seriously!! This happens to me sometimes and it definitely makes me feel like I can get away with it, which is NOT good.. lol!

so this, I went out to a Japenese steak house the other night, I logged as best I could guesstimate..and was still under my calories..I did gain a lb, but it was gone the next day...I thought hmmmmm

but i have done that so many times in the past that I know better.

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In the past I wouldn't. If I ate something that put me over my calorie goal, then I wouldn't post my diary or even log it. I did today because it'll be interesting to see if I can still lose weight even if I go over my calorie goal. I'm also still trying to figure out how many calories I can eat and still lose weight. My goal is set at 1300, but today I ate almost 1500. It'd be nice if I could up my calories and still lose weight.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    LOG EVERYTHING!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Log it! Then you won't get frustrated when you're not losing and you can look back and see why :)
    This^^
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I log everything...sometimes shamefully (especially if I've had take-away or even worse, McDonalds), but it keeps me accountable. And I still try not to go over my calories, but if I do, I'd go into that much deficit the next day.