Does anyone log their binges?

Options
About once or twice a month I just go crazy and binge on whatever I can get my hands on in the house. I'll be doing great all day long, have my whole day prelogged, calories and macros balanced, but all of a sudden something happens and I just can't stop the cravings/binging.

Luckily, I don't keep bad food around, but I'll still eat wayyy too much of things like nuts/nut butters, cheese, popcorn, etc. and I know the calories add up quickly. I never measure any of it so I don't typically record these moments of weakness and just move on.. tomorrow is a new day!

Tonight after dinner, I had a few handfuls of popcorn, a Kind bar, and some Cabot cheddar cheese.

So, do you think it's better to attempt to log what you know and guestimate or just forget about it and move along?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I would log it. It's important to log it all, even the bad things.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I log it. Always. If I lose my mind and don't remember I at least try to guess. More often, I log it as I go. It actually helps to stop myself (sometimes). I like having it to look back at and so I don't lie to myself. Log it.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I log it. I make a guess.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Try and log it. Even better, measure and log.
    That way, if the next week your progress slows you will know why.

It may also help prevent the next binge. If you start trying to control the binges by recording them, it will be easier next time to say no.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat, except when I'm at the cottage with no access to the internet - which is every weekend at the moment and, conveniently enough, when the binges occur... But I would absolutely log if I could and I know that it would help me avoiding the situation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't binge. But if I did, heck yeah, I'd log it! A diary is supposed to be an accounting and a record. Good and bad.

If you're counting the calories, count all of them. What is the purpose to counting some of the calories? Can't think of one.

Log everything.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I log everything. That way I know how many calories I have to work with not only daily, but weekly. If I have a larger deficit one day I can always use those extra calories if I feel I have to have a treat later in the week. If I have a cheat day, then I like to know how much I've gone over my deficit so I can compensate for it later in the week (if possible).
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice! I need to start holding myself accountable and logging a binge/unplanned food when it happens. I actually never thought to try to force myself to measure it so I can record it in an attempt to slow down/stop eating. I'm definitely going to start trying this. Thank you guys! (:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    My commitment to logging helps prevent unplanned eating :)
  • glitterr0cks
    glitterr0cks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    deff log everything...we only cheat ourselves...I log everything, down to every sauce, topping, everything! Good to know where you can balnce it the next day with out feeling so guilty and going downhill for a while :)
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes, usually! The only day I did not log was when I went wine tasting. I guess I could have kept count on glasses of wine, but so many!

I have a weakness for chocolate cake and do not keep it in the house. But when I was at my daughter's house, she had some leftover chocolate cake birthday cake in refrigerator. I ate that and logged it. Just to let you know Costco's birthday cake is SO good and SO high calorie!

70044776.png
  • lisan1209
    lisan1209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have learned to control binges, somewhat! Lol. But how do you log bites of something? For example, my work had papa johns pizza served for lunch today. I had 2 slices of veggie pizza but only ate the toppings and threw away the crust. How do you log things like that?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I log it all, I don't have anything I would call "binges" (which is a serious term that I think a lot of people misuse), but I do have days where I go well over my calorie goal. I think it's important to log it because then I can see my progress based on how much total I've eaten that week/month/whatever. For example, I can see if I still managed to stay under my weekly calorie goal, and lost weight, even with the cheat day. If I didn't manage that, I know to tone it down a little next time.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ate 5 cinnamon buns today on a slight binge. I did log it though.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I force myself to log it every time. The process of logging helps me move past it and helps me figure out any trends to my binges (although I'm with @shell1005 in that I don't think of them as binges) such as timing, types of food, etc.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    lisan1209 wrote: »
    Thankfully I have learned to control binges, somewhat! Lol. But how do you log bites of something? For example, my work had papa johns pizza served for lunch today. I had 2 slices of veggie pizza but only ate the toppings and threw away the crust. How do you log things like that?

Quick add some calories or do a simple estimate. It can easily add up
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I always weight and log it because then I am accountable.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Log it all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log everything. It really helps to look and really "see" our troubled areas.