Does anyone log their binges?

Options

Replies

• lisan1209
    lisan1209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    lisan1209 wrote: »
    Thankfully I have learned to control binges, somewhat! Lol. But how do you log bites of something? For example, my work had papa johns pizza served for lunch today. I had 2 slices of veggie pizza but only ate the toppings and threw away the crust. How do you log things like that?

Quick add some calories or do a simple estimate. It can easily add up

Yeah I Agree. I didn't know about the quick add feature, do you just plug in ingredients and it populates calories? Ugh bites of stuff still kill!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have learned to control binges, somewhat! Lol. But how do you log bites of something? For example, my work had papa johns pizza served for lunch today. I had 2 slices of veggie pizza but only ate the toppings and threw away the crust. How do you log things like that?

Yeah I Agree. I didn't know about the quick add feature, do you just plug in ingredients and it populates calories? Ugh bites of stuff still kill!!

No, you can literally quick add a specific number without doing individual ingredients. So you can just add 25 or 30 calories or whatever you think you ate.

Im usually pretty anal retentive about it and would try to do each item. But pizza topping? If they're veggies I would just quick add.
  • lisan1209
    lisan1209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

No, you can literally quick add a specific number without doing individual ingredients. So you can just add 25 or 30 calories or whatever you think you ate.

Im usually pretty anal retentive about it and would try to do each item. But pizza topping? If they're veggies I would just quick add.

Ok thanks. I need to start doing that. It's just hard because my work routinely has food and I try really hard not to take any of it. But on Fridays or random times I might have a bite. It can be hard to guess and I always hope for less than it is!
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I force myself to log it every time. The process of logging helps me move past it and helps me figure out any trends to my binges (although I'm with @shell1005 in that I don't think of them as binges) such as timing, types of food, etc.

I agree - I log it and then look for trends in the cravings to try to tease out why I'm craving a certain something. If it is something in particular that I crave (as opposed to 'I just want to snack'), then I try to look at the nutritional breakdown and figure out if I was lacking something in my diet. For instance, if I have not had enough salt for a few days, I will start craving pho or some other sodium-laden foods. Then, I can substitute in a healthier option to increase my salt intake.

My body knows what I need better than my brain does a lot of the time.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Try and log it. Even better, measure and log.
    That way, if the next week your progress slows you will know why.

It may also help prevent the next binge. If you start trying to control the binges by recording them, it will be easier next time to say no.

This is exactly what I was going to say. :smile:
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Log. It's hard to do it consistently in binge mode, so I often use the "Cheat Day - Everything In the House" item, and then list what I ate in notes of the entry. The item is 2500 calories, so it covers pretty much everything...although on a particularly awful day I logged it twice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    kelfran1 wrote: »
    I force myself to log it every time. The process of logging helps me move past it and helps me figure out any trends to my binges (although I'm with @shell1005 in that I don't think of them as binges) such as timing, types of food, etc.

I agree - I log it and then look for trends in the cravings to try to tease out why I'm craving a certain something. If it is something in particular that I crave (as opposed to 'I just want to snack'), then I try to look at the nutritional breakdown and figure out if I was lacking something in my diet. For instance, if I have not had enough salt for a few days, I will start craving pho or some other sodium-laden foods. Then, I can substitute in a healthier option to increase my salt intake.

My body knows what I need better than my brain does a lot of the time.

Ya, when I stopped cooking Thai food regularly I started craving salt, and eventually realized it was actually iodine that I wanted as the salt I buy doesn't include iodine. I take kelp supplements now and no more salt cravings.

• SherylClark75
    SherylClark75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Log it! Otherwise, you are only lying to yourself.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Log. It's hard to do it consistently in binge mode, so I often use the "Cheat Day - Everything In the House" item, and then list what I ate in notes of the entry. The item is 2500 calories, so it covers pretty much everything...although on a particularly awful day I logged it twice.

Thank you, this is a great idea!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to indicate that I probably went over my cals by a large amount, usually with foods that I have no idea about or didn't care to pay attention to. For instance, last night, after I finished logging everything I knew or could guess at, I plugged in 900 servings of "I blew it up! (So fat today...)," at one calorie per serving. My 5-week projection had me gaining 3 lbs, so I thought that was fair.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yea
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't consider what you had a binge, but rather some unplanned eating.

I like this mentality - healthy.

I log it. Now I have started preplanning it too so I don't feel the binge guilt.
  • Acetona
    Acetona Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Log each thing as you eat it. That will stop you eating the next thing, as you realise you have doubled your energy requirement for the day.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I log everything, because otherwise my math doesn't work. (I anticipate having trouble switching over to maintenance, so knowing what maintenance calories are for me is important. If I know what I ate, and how my weight changed, both over long periods with reasonable consistency, math gives me maintenance calories. Leaving stuff out cheats me of knowledge!)
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found about logging the really, really bad days, or binges....is that the damage I think will be done is really not as bad as I think it would be. My head says "Well there goes that, now you are going to put on all the weight your worked so hard to lose"....Reality is that my weight spikes up a little bit, but then drops back down in the next few days when I am back on track.

This has been really helpful for me personally - there was a time where I would have let a binge-fest derail me to the extent where I would completely give up.

Agree with everyone else. Track everything and use it to learn something about yourself. :)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I log mine always
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I log them and sometimes I don't. I haven't had a binge that was genuinely out of control since I was 19. Usually what happens is that I realize I'm eating to deal with stress, so I leave the house and do something fun. The last thing I want to do when I want to stop a binge is to think about food for even a minute longer.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found about logging the really, really bad days, or binges....is that the damage I think will be done is really not as bad as I think it would be... Reality is that my weight spikes up a little bit, but then drops back down in the next few days when I am back on track.

This has been really helpful for me personally - there was a time where I would have let a binge-fest derail me to the extent where I would completely give up.

Agree with everyone else. Track everything and use it to learn something about yourself. :)

Isn't that always the case? I've found that I actually eat less on those "binge" days than on days where I just didn't prelog a trip to a chain restaurant.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think you should log everything you eat. The good, the bad and the ugly. It is the only way to really be accountable to yourself.

That being said, I do feel that once you've either reached maintenance mode or have lost enough weight to know that you've developed the discipline to stick to a daily calorie limit, then it's ok to have the occasional blow-out meal/day and not log anything/everything. Sure, you'll not really know how many calories you had that day but it will balance out because you know that the next day, you'll be right back into your routine and those excess calories will be lost eventually. It may take days or even weeks (if it's a really bad day) to undo the damage but by the time you hit maintenance, logging all your calories should be second nature to you and you'll be able to bury that one bad day with the next month of good days.

Plus, for me, there is accountability fatigue. Every few months, I just hit a point where I'm just tired of logging every single thing I eat. I'm tired of thinking about fitting this or that into my diary. On those days, I'll log the "major" stuff but the little things, the odd treat here or there, I'll just eat and not bother logging it. That may not work for everyone but it does for me and it helps me keep a little sanity.
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I log it so that I can make up for it the next few days !