Calorie dense food that WON'T make me feel full

Options
jtboner
jtboner Posts: 59 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, I'm finding it hard to reach my calories goal of 1200 without feeling sick to my stomach. I've tried common calorie dense food such nuts but they fill you up. List some foods that will not make me feel sick and not make me feel full?
UPDATE, NO BANANAS, AVOCADOS OR ANY KIND OF BUTTER, that seems to be quite common but those foods make me full

Replies

• mauriscool
    mauriscool Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend fruits that are high in calories. If you eat plenty in one serving it might make you feel bloated. Bananas are pretty high, as well as avocado. Some pears are decently high in calories but I tend to find that they make me feel hungrier after eating them
  • mary_carmen_
    mary_carmen_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that lentils don't fill me up very easily (I will probably have a cup or more for lunch), and they are very calorie-dense. Avocados in a salad will make you full, but not bursting. Oatmeal is also a great high-calorie food that doesn't fill me up a lot. I will have it for breakfast and still feel hungry for lunch. It's good to have oats with some kind of fat- milk, butter, nuts, etc.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try a Banana with Peanut Butter. It's a great snack and PB packs a walloping 200 cals per 2 TB. Equals out to about a 320 calorie snack or more, I've probably had 500 calorie ones.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    A Snickers?
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find that lentils don't fill me up very easily (I will probably have a cup or more for lunch), and they are very calorie-dense. Avocados in a salad will make you full, but not bursting. Oatmeal is also a great high-calorie food that doesn't fill me up a lot. I will have it for breakfast and still feel hungry for lunch. It's good to have oats with some kind of fat- milk, butter, nuts, etc.

This is my favorite, you managed to list every single food that fills me up XD I ate about a half cup of lentils with salsa and I was full, a cup off oatmeal (1/3 cup oats+2/3 cup water) and I was full, half an avocado and I'm good, I think we have something going on between the 2 of us ;)
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to get to 1200 calories a day (and aren't bedridden or very small statured), then it might be worth looking at the types of foods you've been eating. All of the things you say you struggle with have a fair bit of fibre, which will fill you up and keep you full for longer than low fibre foods with similar protein levels. Perhaps try adding some fat to your vegetables; it's easy enough to up your calories significantly by drizzling over some olive oil or adding some cheese. If you eat chicken, try thigh instead of breast, and keep the skin on. Go for oily fish like salmon rather than fresh water fish. If you like sweet foods, dried fruits are low volume with comparatively high sugar levels. Failing all that, see if you can get more movement into your day to boost your appetite.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, chips, icecream!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pick pretty much any junk food, or a bowl of cereal :wink:
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hard to hit 1200cal omg that's a very low cal intake to begin with!! Have a bowl of icecream with topping lol you could nearly get 1200 in a bowl alone lol
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    As far as vegetables are concerned, sweet potatoes and corn never make me feel full. They take the edge off of hunger, yes, but they never give me that satisfied "ahh, that was a nice, filling meal" feeling. Rice works the same way for me. You could cook the rice in some oil as well, which would further boost the calories.

Really, though, if you're having trouble meeting 1200 calories, why don't you just phase a few of the things from your previous diet back into your new diet to fill the calories? If you gained weight eating calorically dense foods like ice cream and french fries and you now suddenly find yourself struggling to eat all of your calories, why not start eating some portion-controlled amounts of said ice cream and fries again? You would fill your calories without being overly full and you would be happy for getting to eat treat foods while still losing weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I so wish I struggled eating only 1200 calories. I struggle staying under 2000 most days!! :confounded:
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Olive oil.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Oatmeal is actually pretty low calorie. It's what you put in it that adds in the calories. Make the oatmeal with full fat milk if you don't and put the peanut butter in that or maybe nutella. Granola can tend to be pretty high calorie for a small portion. Put mayo on your sandwiches and drizzle olive oil on things. Eat lots of ice cream, pizza and cake?
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense, but you don't want to feel full....I don't understand why. Melt 50g of chocolate and dip some fruit fondue style. Full fat dairy instead of low fat. More chocolate. Drink some calories - fruit juice for example.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How many calories are you eating currently? What is your weight and height? Could you open your diary? How fast have you been losing? If you literally feel sick when trying to eat this little, then it sounds like it is time to talk to a dr.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How on earth did you gain weight in the first place if 1200cal makes you sick? I don't get it.

Sorry if it's harsh.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Breakfast cereals
    Juice

Any sugary treat - candy, cookies, frosting (!), donuts, ice cream, etc. frosting, especially. I looked up how many were in the frosting that I make and literally gasped. I don't tell anyone how many there are, lol. Nobody would want to eat it! :)

Juice is an easy and healthy way to add calories without feeling too full. That POM juice is very yummy. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Oatmeal is actually pretty low calorie. It's what you put in it that adds in the calories. Make the oatmeal with full fat milk if you don't and put the peanut butter in that or maybe nutella. Granola can tend to be pretty high calorie for a small portion. Put mayo on your sandwiches and drizzle olive oil on things. Eat lots of ice cream, pizza and cake?
    Two cups with nothing in it but water is 600 calories. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether that's low calorie or not.

I'd suggest ice cream with fruit preserves, sandwiches with fruit preserves, whole milk.

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Understand that 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 calories, 1 gram of FAT = 9 calories.
    Some of the suggestions above are good options, calorie dense is going to equal higher fat content. Things like nuts, peanutbutter, butter, can use coconut oil to cook with, bacon is high fat. Cream cheese, beef jerky, sausage. Etc

You complain about feeling full, reduce the portion size when you are eating them ie space it out. Not hard at all to fill gap calories.