Hardest thing about losing weight...

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is that I have so much to lose that it feels overwhelming sometimes. I've made so much progress but still have so far to go! It's hard *still* being the fattest person at my gym after working hard for months.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I miss mindless snacking :/
  • gotalosew8
    Options
    For me it would be exercise...
    I do play indoor netball once a week and I sometimes do Zumba at home, but I just want to lose weight so I can do a marathon.. that is my dream to accomplish two marathons.. But I need the enthusiasm and motivation to actually train for it..
    Please add me as a friend if you can help me.
    Thank you.
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Staying motivated. And my schedule. I work nights and I barely ever get 7-8 hours of straight sleep that I get irritable and my willpower just fails...
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Like previously mentioned, the hardest thing for me is patience! It's so difficult when you're doing so well, exercising, eating well, losing weight... but you still wake up fat every day. I wish the weight could just drop off, but I know it can't. It can be so demotivating when I think about how far I've still got to go - so much so that I sometimes think it would be easier to just give up. But I need to remind myself that that is highly counter-productive, and if I give up I'll just be even FURTHER away from my goal.
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated when weight loss is really slow! Just had to give myself the team talk! Remember why you started and how great it was watching those first pounds come off! :drinker:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the weight loss phase too hard, other than the fact that it gets boring and the novelty wears off, and you have to find creative ways of staying motivated.

For me, the hard part has been maintenance. Specifically, it's hard to accept that I will always have to be restricting myself to some extent. I'm very happy with my diet and lifestyle, and I enjoy how and what I eat. I don't mind weighing and logging everything. I have grown to love exercise.

After being an emotional eater for decades though, it's sometimes hard to accept that I just don't have the option of eating unlimited amounts of food any more. If I want to stay healthy and slim, I can't use what has been almost a life-long coping mechanism. That makes me want to rebel. :ohwell:
  • nelllll018
    nelllll018 Posts: 18
    Options
    Consistency! we never go back to day 1. We never go back to be the person we used to be right? :)
  • JewelleryByMandy
    JewelleryByMandy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely staying committed.

I've fallen off a few times, but the key is to pick myself back up. I've done it every time thus far. I'm realizing that this isn't a weight loss journey. It's a lifestyle change.

Very true!
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    Probably sounds ridiculous but how slowly the weight takes to go away! I just want it gone, right now. I've had 260-280 pounds on me for 5 years without a care about how I felt internally or about how it was hurting my body. I saw a picture of me at my sisters wedding and I was twice as wide as everyone else (at least it looked that way to me) and I changed everything the next day and found this site.

I've changed my diet 100%, I walked just over 104 miles last month alone as compared to 0 unless I was shopping, I'll walk to a friends house instead of driving the 7 miles and refuse a ride and walk back. Its hard because I've lost almost 25 pounds since May 9th and my waist measurements are exactly the same and my XL and XXL clothes still fit snug.

On the opposite side I find its actually easier because my diet has changed my entire families diet. I feed my kids whole organic fruits and veggies instead of cheerios, poptarts and gummy snacks. They dont even ask for them, not to sound corny but I feel like an awesome dad when I can say my 2 and 4 year old love eating raw spinach, Kale and a plethora of other organic whole foods for snacks. I don't deprive them of kid centered things, but they rarely even ask for them (Candy or popsicles for example) anymore. Sorry, didn't mean to go off track...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Probably sounds ridiculous but how slowly the weight takes to go away! I just want it gone, right now. I've had 260-280 pounds on me for 5 years without a care about how I felt internally or about how it was hurting my body. I saw a picture of me at my sisters wedding and I was twice as wide as everyone else (at least it looked that way to me) and I changed everything the next day and found this site.

I've changed my diet 100%, I walked just over 104 miles last month alone as compared to 0 unless I was shopping, I'll walk to a friends house instead of driving the 7 miles and refuse a ride and walk back. Its hard because I've lost almost 25 pounds since May 9th and my waist measurements are exactly the same and my XL and XXL clothes still fit snug.

On the opposite side I find its actually easier because my diet has changed my entire families diet. I feed my kids whole organic fruits and veggies instead of cheerios, poptarts and gummy snacks. They dont even ask for them, not to sound corny but I feel like an awesome dad when I can say my 2 and 4 year old love eating raw spinach, Kale and a plethora of other organic whole foods for snacks. I don't deprive them of kid centered things, but they rarely even ask for them (Candy or popsicles for example) anymore. Sorry, didn't mean to go off track...

This doesn't sound ridiculous at all. I am at maintenance weight wise, but am working on strength, toning and endurance. You are conquering both at the same time and you will be really glad you did when you get to maintenance. Think about it - your habits will be there and your built in support group will be your kids as you are all more active and eat healthy together. Great post!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is that when I have a success and reach a mini-goal, my tendency is to stop or regress. I need to just say YAY for reaching that goal, but let's continue on to reach that big goal on the horizon.

I know that it is good to set small goals in front of your big (end) goal, but for me it seems to just trip me up!

Yesyes this! I lose like 2 lbs then I'm like yay!! Slack off then binge for like a week and I'm up 5 lbs. -.-
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    For me it's being patient and dealing with the fact that the change will be slow
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    The waiting game

Second guessing if what I'm doing is the best thing (cal amounts and workouts ect)

Never being satified.
  • GaloisGirl
    GaloisGirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Patience and staying on track.

I read so much motivational stuff that when you work hard, the results are sure to come, but it's hard to believe when you're stuck in a plateau.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Not seeing the scale drop sometimes
    Being judged that I am overly consumed with my new lifestyle of exercising and eating healthy and people saying I am obsessive or scared of food and have a problem, no I am just thinking more about what I eat, to those I say "it is called mindful eating".

THIS - I was called obsessive about losing weight by a work colleague this week - I am not obsessive, I am persevering in changing the way I eat for the rest of my life! (He also threw in the "you have lost enough now and starting to look haggard" comment in to make me feel really good!)

You are judged when you are overweight, and judged when you make the effort to do something about it. So the hardest thing for me is staying positive and being PROUD of my achievements - but I am getting there :)
  • jennimc13
    jennimc13 Posts: 37
    Options
    social events with friends..summer time, lots of impromtu BBQ's and get togethers, where food and drink is the focus! I am learning to make better choices its not easy though.
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    getting the right balance of macros and calories and not drinking.
  • caitlinjm74
    caitlinjm74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat healthily in a house filled with nothing but chocolate and junk food :(
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine was to try innovative ways to exercise as I cannot do most of the traditional exercises.
    But the effort has paid off.:smile: