Cardio and strength training

Options
So I am wondering what's the best way. Is it best to lose all of your weight first and then strength train? Is it best to do them both together? I am wondering because the first time around I would only do cardio and of course lost a lot of weight, but I wasn't happy with my shape and lost all of my curves. So I ended up adding strength training to tone up and then lost track due to family issues. This time around I am doing both cardio and strength training (2-3x a week). I am just a little confused sometimes because my weight fluctuates everyday on the scale and I wonder if that is from me building muscle, since it weighs more than fat.

What do you all do?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Calorie deficit first and foremost.

Do both cardio and strength training because when you only did cardio you lost muscle mass and would of had to get lower in weight. Also your body fat % did not drop from the LBM lost when only doing calorie I think.

ETA: If you are not eating to build muscle then the scale increase if you are in a calorie deficit is from other factors. Not muscle. Unless you are in the newbie stage of weight training.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're not adding enough muscle to register on the scale really quickly. But you may be retaining water, which can mask fat loss. Keep with it. You'll keep getting new lows.

Lifting isn't just good because it tones you up - it's good for you. Might as well do things that are good for you now instead of waiting! :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I am just a little confused sometimes because my weight fluctuates everyday on the scale and I wonder if that is from me building muscle, since it weighs more than fat.

Weight fluctuations are completely normal - depending upon exactly what you've eaten in the last day or so, including how much sodium, if you worked out, how much water you've consumed, etc.

IOW: don't worry about daily flucuations. Be mindful of weekly/monthly/howeverlong trends.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did bodyweight resistance training for the first 2months on MFP..then moved to heavy lifting...wish I had done the heavy lifting from the start but at least I didn't wait too long.

I did add in cardio the following summer with lots of walks and bike rides while still heavy lifting

This year I am still heavy lifting, running, walking and biking.

HOwever my weight loss was from the deficit...but at least I didn't lose weight mainly just fat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are ok on the consumption side then do both because they offer different benefits and complement each other.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    During my first round on MFP, I didn't do strength training and, like you, wasn't happy with my composition when I finished. My butt deflated. :( A year of strength training helped a lot.

Also like you, I had some family/personal matters that derailed me. This time around, I included heavy lifting in my routine from the start and I'm happy to report my butt is not droopy. ;)
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    During my first round on MFP, I didn't do strength training and, like you, wasn't happy with my composition when I finished. My butt deflated. :( A year of strength training helped a lot.

Also like you, I had some family/personal matters that derailed me. This time around, I included heavy lifting in my routine from the start and I'm happy to report my butt is not droopy. ;)

:) Hilarious! But so true! Thanks for the tips!
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit first and foremost.

Do both cardio and strength training because when you only did cardio you lost muscle mass and would of had to get lower in weight. Also your body fat % did not drop from the LBM lost when only doing calorie I think.

ETA: If you are not eating to build muscle then the scale increase if you are in a calorie deficit is from other factors. Not muscle. Unless you are in the newbie stage of weight training.

Okay great! Thank you! I will make sure to consider this. I have done strength training before, just after all my cardio. Maybe I am not eating enough protein. Problem is, I can only workout at night after my little one goes to bed, which is usually between 9-10. On a good night she goes to sleep before 9. I don't want to eat too late and then go to bed, which means I would be eating after 10pm. :/
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're not adding enough muscle to register on the scale really quickly. But you may be retaining water, which can mask fat loss. Keep with it. You'll keep getting new lows.

Lifting isn't just good because it tones you up - it's good for you. Might as well do things that are good for you now instead of waiting! :)

This is a good point because I wonder if that comes from the gatorade I drink last night after my workout.
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I am just a little confused sometimes because my weight fluctuates everyday on the scale and I wonder if that is from me building muscle, since it weighs more than fat.

Weight fluctuations are completely normal - depending upon exactly what you've eaten in the last day or so, including how much sodium, if you worked out, how much water you've consumed, etc.

IOW: don't worry about daily flucuations. Be mindful of weekly/monthly/howeverlong trends.

Thanks for the motivation! I actually like weighing myself daily, I am just throw off by the numbers on some days. I am using the Happy Scale app and it's great!
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    I also definitely feel a difference in my pants, so I know that I am losing inches as well.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates during the day and everyday, but I only take into account days when I actually drop lbs. haha!

I do both strength and cardio training 2-4x a week depending on previous commitments (work/life getting in the way) Hour of weights before an hour of cardio. Hated exercise before this, but now I look forward to gym time! I love weight lifting! Granted I can only lift so much having only done if for the last month or so. Lol.

Not dropping a lot of lbs (only 5.6lbs in the last 3mos) but dropping inches, which I think is a good compromise, as I started exercising to make clothes look better on me. Haha! It's been very slow coz I like my food :( although I've been sticking with my caloric allowance since I started MFP last week (oops!).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i personally like to be able to maximize my efforts...I'm obviously not going to be able to maximize my lifts if I just did a bunch of moderate to intense cardio...and I'm not going to maximize my cardiovascular training if I just spent myself lifting.

i do cardio and i lift on the same day on Mondays and Wednesdays...but I do my cardio in the AM and lift in the evening...i have plenty of time to recover and re-fuel.
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    My weight fluctuates during the day and everyday, but I only take into account days when I actually drop lbs. haha!

I do both strength and cardio training 2-4x a week depending on previous commitments (work/life getting in the way) Hour of weights before an hour of cardio. Hated exercise before this, but now I look forward to gym time! I love weight lifting! Granted I can only lift so much having only done if for the last month or so. Lol.

Not dropping a lot of lbs (only 5.6lbs in the last 3mos) but dropping inches, which I think is a good compromise, as I started exercising to make clothes look better on me. Haha! It's been very slow coz I like my food :( although I've been sticking with my caloric allowance since I started MFP last week (oops!).

This is great! Definitely stick with it! I have also read somewhere on a fitness article that it is better to do your strength training before cardio. I am going to try this. I used to do mine after cardio. I too notice the difference in my clothes from losing inches, weight not so much, but I am not going to give up! Keep pushing lady!
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i personally like to be able to maximize my efforts...I'm obviously not going to be able to maximize my lifts if I just did a bunch of moderate to intense cardio...and I'm not going to maximize my cardiovascular training if I just spent myself lifting.

i do cardio and i lift on the same day on Mondays and Wednesdays...but I do my cardio in the AM and lift in the evening...i have plenty of time to recover and re-fuel.

Oh ok...this makes sense. I usually do my cardio and lifting together. Maybe I should separate them. I might try and do my strength training on days separate from my cardio.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

This is great! Definitely stick with it! I have also read somewhere on a fitness article that it is better to do your strength training before cardio. I am going to try this. I used to do mine after cardio. I too notice the difference in my clothes from losing inches, weight not so much, but I am not going to give up! Keep pushing lady!

It is more of a preference but I read that weight training will burn more carbs in the ratio of protein fats carbs. Cardio burns all three but if you already went through some carbs you could burn more protein and fat from cardio. It is also safer if you train heavy. Cardio could fatigue you enough to hinder your form which can cause injuries.
  • Faith4eva31
    Options

It is more of a preference but I read that weight training will burn more carbs in the ratio of protein fats carbs. Cardio burns all three but if you already went through some carbs you could burn more protein and fat from cardio. It is also safer if you train heavy. Cardio could fatigue you enough to hinder your form which can cause injuries.

Okay great! Thank you for these tips! So would you say it is best to do them on separate days vs. together?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Okay great! Thank you for these tips! So would you say it is best to do them on separate days vs. together?

That is a preference question. Both can do the same but some claim separate days make better results of maintaining muscle mass.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Haha thanks! I do weights before cardio because I want to be able to give my all with weights and I can't do that if I'm all tired from cardio. Plus I do classes for cardio so I have the instructor to push me if I'm lagging behind, but there is no one to push my muscles if I'm too tired to lift heavy. Lol.

Regarding doing weights and cardio separately, I think that is a great idea, as you'll have time to give your all for both and can work out longer if necessary. It won't work for me though, as I have 16hr days and cannot imagine working out before or after that. So I squeeze everything in on the days I'm not working. Whatever works for you, stick with it!