increasing calories

Options
2»

Replies

• LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Do some research on Lepton and the role it plays in your metabolism.
    When you starve yourself, your Lepton level drops and your metabolism hangs on to every calorie. An occasional spike in your caloric intake can get these levels back in sync and trains your metabolism to believe that food is plentiful and hanging on to calories is not required for survival.

What I refer to as a spike is 800-1000 extra calories maybe every 7-10 days, but choose them wisely (i.e. vegetables, meat etc. not simple carbs.)

There is no such starvation response. Your body doesn't need to "believe food is plentiful"

Are you suggesting she continue to eat 600 calories?

Agreed. Starvation mode is a myth. If you google it there are dozens of reputable articles that confirm this.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Just a hunch....sounds like depression and anxiety, which in case can lead to weight loss from swings in eating habits. The issue is, balanced eating helps normalize the chemical imbalance that causes anxiety and depression, so it is important to maintain a proper healthy intake. With depression and anxiety though you also want to modify certain types of things, like limiting sugars and caffeine, which can further trigger issues.

So go see your doctor and get his recommendations, but also be honest with yourself about any issues you might have. They can steer you right.

All the best.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Either double your calories (minimum), or seek professional help for the eating disorder you have developed.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Perhaps you should look into the Minnesota starvation experiment and learn a bit more about the "starvation response" before quoting some junk about lepton you found out of some fad diet book.
    My profession involves working with Nutritionist on a daily basis but I'll be sure and let them know they are all wrong.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, let them know the hormone is called Leptin. Lepton is a subatomic particle.

I agree.
    -Doctor Blue
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that you should really see your doctor about this, since even 1200 calories a day will have you losing weight (unless you're still trying to lose weight). There are plenty of websites that can help you figure out your caloric needs to maintain weight. This depends on your activity level. In my case, at 5'4", 35 years old, current weight of 168.8, to maintain this weight i would need to eat 2,300 calories at my activity level. Even sedentary, I'd need around 1800. But your doctor can refer you to an expert in the field of weight loss and nutrition and help you better than the internet can. So it really depends on your goals here, but 1200 isn't a realistic goal to stick with forever because at some point, you'll have to start maintaining weight instead of losing it, and it sounds like you have developed some disordered thinking about everything..
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Idk what everyone else said because I'm too lazy to eat but you needs to eatsss moreeeeeeee.