Special K Cereal.. Is it ok to eat

Options

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The OP asked if she could have Special K for breakfast. It was an easy question. I'm not sure why the answer needs to turn into yet another lecture on healthy vs. processed foods.

Easy, yes. Yet you missed the implications of the part asking about carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    alfiedn wrote: »
    This depends on your carb goals and what the rest of your day looks like. As long as you're fitting inside your carbohydrate goals, you probably don't need to worry at all.

Carb goals don't really matter - calorie goals are key for weight loss. Low carb is a matter of choice. If OP wants to eat Special K and isn't a low carber, OP can eat Special K with no problems.

Actually in a general sense that may be true but for someone with diabetes that is trying to lose weight carbs matter just as much as calories.

Does OP have diabetes?
  • frumpjunk
    frumpjunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok. I couldn't find regular Special K, but the Special K Protein is 120 calories. I'm not going to tell you to not eat Special K, but for 30 calories more (150 calories), you can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal. Mix in Splenda and cinnamon and it's delicious. Or mix in some Splenda, chopped strawberries, and a little milk and make Strawberries and Cream. So good and it fills you up much better than Special K.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    frumpjunk wrote: »
    Ok. I couldn't find regular Special K, but the Special K Protein is 120 calories. I'm not going to tell you to not eat Special K, but for 30 calories more (150 calories), you can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal. Mix in Splenda and cinnamon and it's delicious. Or mix in some Splenda, chopped strawberries, and a little milk and make Strawberries and Cream. So good and it fills you up much better than Special K.

She doesn't want oatmeal!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pammalla wrote: »
    I like the Special K with the red berrys. It's a quick breakfast I wouldn't want to do the thing where you eat it for breakfast and lunch every day

I remember they were doing the whole "eat the special k twice a day to lose weight" back in like the year 2000. I was a teenager and actually did it! I DID lose weight but I wish I would have realized I was just creating a calorie deficit and could have done so eating things besides stupid cereal twice a day.
  • kaileyfry
    kaileyfry Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much carbs you will less likely to lose weight. All it does is enhance cravings. Eat fruit or vegetables.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Let's keep this general, people. OP asked if it was okay to eat Special K. Big picture, it's okay to eat. Several of you are answering the question as it pertains to yourself. I don't think the OP asked if you specifically could eat Special K cereal. Yes, for some people with specific health issues, there may be reasons this particular cereal may not be a good choice. However, for the general public, and even for someone eating low carb, it would be perfectly fine to eat one bowl of Special K for breakfast now and then.
    Any food is okay to eat in moderation.
  • jim180155
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Tex, it's a loose term and I'm sure some (maybe you) will be along to argue, but I'd define "healthy" as unprocessed, whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, legumes, dairy, etc. Foods with naturally occurring nutrients, not foods that have the nutrients processed out of them and then, in the case of Special K, nutrients supplemented back into them. I have nothing against vitamin fortified foods or vitamin supplements for that matter, but I think you're better off eating mostly whole foods with micronutrients interacting in ways that we don't yet fully understand.

Of course, the person eating Special K could also be choosing fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, legumes, and dairy in their other meals of the day or even to round out their breakfast.

Sure. That's why I said if you want to eat it, eat it. There's nothing bad about it. I just don't think there's anything particularly good about it.

Assuming that one's nutritional needs are met, what is the benefit of avoiding a bowl of cereal in favor of the foods you mentioned? We don't get gold stars for exceeding our nutritional needs.

No, no gold stars for that. But I'd give you a gold star for reading what I actually wrote.

I read what you wrote and it doesn't really make sense to me -- that's why I'm asking follow-up questions.

Why call out this food and say one should eat "healthy" foods instead? You say we should eat "mostly whole foods." But one can do that and eat Special K as well. I'm not understanding what you're attempting to communicate here.

In fairness to you, I did post several times, so maybe you're thinking about one post while I'm thinking of another. I'm thinking of my first post:

As noted above, with rare exceptions for medical conditions, carbs are not bad for you. They are in fact, good for you. Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. You can get by using fat and protein for energy, but most people feel miserable while waiting for their body to adapt to the lack of carbs. Unless you are a total slug spending all day in bed or on the sofa, you should be getting a good 30% to 50% of your calories from carbs.

Special K is not "good" for you. It's marketed that way, and it might be better than Cocoa Puffs, but it's not particularly healthy food. No processed breakfast cereal is. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. If you want Special K, eat Special K. Just make sure it fits within your calorie & macro goals, and that throughout the course of the day you're eating mostly whole, unprocessed food.

Note: I hate Special K. My daughter likes the Special K with strawberries and chocolate, so I make sure we always have a box on hand. The problem is that I can't resist the stuff. I try to stay away but it keeps calling to me. So I open the box and start picking at it, eating it dry. The next thing I know the box is more than half empty. Then my daughter yells at me for eating most of her cereal. So I buy another box and the process starts all over again. I hate Special K.

Does that help? I'm not telling her not to eat Special K. I told her to eat Special K if she wants Special K. I told her I eat Special K. I also told her to try to make sure she's eating MOSTLY whole, unprocessed foods throughout the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal.

• Serah87
    Options
    kaileyfry wrote: »
    If you eat too much carbs you will less likely to lose weight. All it does is enhance cravings. Eat fruit or vegetables.
    Just stop.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kaileyfry wrote: »

No, this is not true. Eating too many calories will keep you from losing weight. Eating a good balance of carbs/protein/fats is good idea, but eating too many carbs isn't going to keep you from losing weight, if you are in a calorie deficit. And one bowl of Special K is not going to be 'too many carbs'.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Tex, it's a loose term and I'm sure some (maybe you) will be along to argue, but I'd define "healthy" as unprocessed, whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, legumes, dairy, etc. Foods with naturally occurring nutrients, not foods that have the nutrients processed out of them and then, in the case of Special K, nutrients supplemented back into them. I have nothing against vitamin fortified foods or vitamin supplements for that matter, but I think you're better off eating mostly whole foods with micronutrients interacting in ways that we don't yet fully understand.

Of course, the person eating Special K could also be choosing fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, legumes, and dairy in their other meals of the day or even to round out their breakfast.

Sure. That's why I said if you want to eat it, eat it. There's nothing bad about it. I just don't think there's anything particularly good about it.

Assuming that one's nutritional needs are met, what is the benefit of avoiding a bowl of cereal in favor of the foods you mentioned? We don't get gold stars for exceeding our nutritional needs.

No, no gold stars for that. But I'd give you a gold star for reading what I actually wrote.

I read what you wrote and it doesn't really make sense to me -- that's why I'm asking follow-up questions.

Why call out this food and say one should eat "healthy" foods instead? You say we should eat "mostly whole foods." But one can do that and eat Special K as well. I'm not understanding what you're attempting to communicate here.

In fairness to you, I did post several times, so maybe you're thinking about one post while I'm thinking of another. I'm thinking of my first post:

As noted above, with rare exceptions for medical conditions, carbs are not bad for you. They are in fact, good for you. Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. You can get by using fat and protein for energy, but most people feel miserable while waiting for their body to adapt to the lack of carbs. Unless you are a total slug spending all day in bed or on the sofa, you should be getting a good 30% to 50% of your calories from carbs.

Special K is not "good" for you. It's marketed that way, and it might be better than Cocoa Puffs, but it's not particularly healthy food. No processed breakfast cereal is. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. If you want Special K, eat Special K. Just make sure it fits within your calorie & macro goals, and that throughout the course of the day you're eating mostly whole, unprocessed food.

Note: I hate Special K. My daughter likes the Special K with strawberries and chocolate, so I make sure we always have a box on hand. The problem is that I can't resist the stuff. I try to stay away but it keeps calling to me. So I open the box and start picking at it, eating it dry. The next thing I know the box is more than half empty. Then my daughter yells at me for eating most of her cereal. So I buy another box and the process starts all over again. I hate Special K.

Does that help? I'm not telling her not to eat Special K. I told her to eat Special K if she wants Special K. I told her I eat Special K. I also told her to try to make sure she's eating MOSTLY whole, unprocessed foods throughout the day.

So the answer is "Yes."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

LOL!

That was my thought too. I like oatmeal (have nothing against is....but it does come in a box ;) ) Some days I want something cold and crunchy. I don't always want oatmeal. Nothing wrong with adding berries and milk to my Special K.
  • Serah87
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal.

Read the posts, several people said to eat oatmeal!!
  • jim180155
    Options

So the answer is "Yes."

Wait. What was the question?
  • frumpjunk
    frumpjunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options

If I wasn't clear, my answer was "yes, it's ok but have you considered this alternative...."

No need to be so defensive.
  • Serah87
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

LOL!

That was my thought too. I like oatmeal (have nothing against is....but it does come in a box ;) ) Some days I want something cold and crunchy. I don't always want oatmeal. Nothing wrong with adding berries and milk to my Special K.

Double standards. LOL ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The OP asked if she could have Special K for breakfast. It was an easy question. I'm not sure why the answer needs to turn into yet another lecture on healthy vs. processed foods.

But how else will I kill time on my lunch break at work if we aren't arguing about this again? Oh wait, is there a sugar thread active somewhere?

• janejellyroll
    Options

So the answer is "Yes."

"Special K cereal . . . it is ok to eat?"
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

So the answer is "Yes."

"Special K cereal . . . it is ok to eat?"
    Yes.