Special K Cereal.. Is it ok to eat

Options

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just has the Special K fruit & yogurt this morning. I actually had 2 servings with skim milk & I'm so hungry already. I might suggest adding fruit or something else with it to help bulk it up & satisfy you longer.
  • wunderkind54
    wunderkind54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat the high protein version, very tasty and solves some of the complaints about "not enough protein." I pair it with a single slice of Sara Lee 45 calories & delightful toast. I alternate with Fiber One Raisin Bran Crunch to keep my fiber numbers up. (I eat Fiber One 90 cal snack items during the day as well). I've lost 44 lbs. in just over a year and put my diabetes in remission, FWIW.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    OP: I like Special K w/Protein. ( I like to add sugar on it, too. <3) Sometimes eat for dinner, cuz don't want alot. 1.5cups of cereal + 1c Mootopia milk (has extra protein) packs 32g protein total. Crunchy, cold, sweet, satisfies.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    anyone try there cereals is it a good part of a diet or is it too many carbs?

@nickeyhicks as you can read personal opinions are all over the board. I live in a house full of carbs including Special K which is a go to cereal for the wife but when I was eating sugar and grains I was more into raisin bran.

After I learned cutting out most all calorie sources that come from carbs greatly reduced my arthritis pain level within 30 days and stopped a 40 year IBS issue in 120 days it became clear my body over the years had become carb intolerant for some reason so I no longer do processed foods like Special K and others.

Those that have no health issues triggered by processed foods and drinks should be able to enjoy Special K just fine especially young people with no metabolical disorders. Being 64 some of my pass abuse of carbs I guess caught up with me.

Like @mccindy72 states I now eat what I want when I get hungry. Things that make me sick that I learned by a elimination process I no longer like. After 10 months my health is recovering with a slow weight loss as a bonus. There is not diet per say since I plan to keep eating the same way for life.

We are all different but over time we can learn what foods and how much of it gives us the best health. I find eating what I like when I am hungry works to manage my pain and leads to improving health. In the end we only know what works for us. Foods that a good for me may be bad for another and the other way around.

At 64 I finally am eating well (food that works with my body and not against it) and enjoy life more than ever. In doing a lot of reading of research on the subject it surprises me how much BAD science is out there. The results of a 10 week diet with mice is almost without value. Long term studies carry the most weight but even then you have to look at the conflict of interests statements. I am happy to seeing so many younger people get serious about learning what is best for them to eat because I had damaged my health doing the wrong thing.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just has the Special K fruit & yogurt this morning. I actually had 2 servings with skim milk & I'm so hungry already. I might suggest adding fruit or something else with it to help bulk it up & satisfy you longer.

Skim milk has zero fat (try replacing it with 2%). Protein, fat & fiber are filling. Some people stay full on non-fat, high fiber, others not so much. You may need to experiment a little.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    frumpjunk wrote: »
    Ok. I couldn't find regular Special K, but the Special K Protein is 120 calories. I'm not going to tell you to not eat Special K, but for 30 calories more (150 calories), you can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal. Mix in Splenda and cinnamon and it's delicious. Or mix in some Splenda, chopped strawberries, and a little milk and make Strawberries and Cream. So good and it fills you up much better than Special K.

She doesn't want oatmeal!!

If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal.

Read the posts, several people said to eat oatmeal!!

Yes, to which you responded, "She doesn't want oatmeal!!" If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal one way or the other, so was curious as to why you claim she doesn't want it.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If OP doesn't have any health concerns in which she should limit carbs, and she's working it into her daily goals, why not? You go OP, you eat your cereal and you enjoy the hell out of it.

But do you know who doesn't want to eat cereal? Ryan Gosling.
    1XfNgbv.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Ok. I couldn't find regular Special K, but the Special K Protein is 120 calories. I'm not going to tell you to not eat Special K, but for 30 calories more (150 calories), you can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal. Mix in Splenda and cinnamon and it's delicious. Or mix in some Splenda, chopped strawberries, and a little milk and make Strawberries and Cream. So good and it fills you up much better than Special K.

If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal.

Yes, to which you responded, "She doesn't want oatmeal!!" If "she" = the OP, I went back through the thread and didn't see that she'd mentioned oatmeal one way or the other, so was curious as to why you claim she doesn't want it.

Because she did not mention oatmeal in her OP!!!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The OP asked if she could have Special K for breakfast. It was an easy question. I'm not sure why the answer needs to turn into yet another lecture on healthy vs. processed foods.

Because this is MFP... and why we can't have nice things.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This. I hate oatmeal. It is nothing like Special K (which I'm not particularly fond of either but apparently the OP is). If she asked about Special K and got alternative cold cereal suggestions (like Kashi or something) then maybe that's better, but for people to just automatically tell her she should be eating oatmeal instead? I don't get it.

She asked if it was ok. People said yes. /endthread.
  • Serah87
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This. I hate oatmeal. It is nothing like Special K (which I'm not particularly fond of either but apparently the OP is). If she asked about Special K and got alternative cold cereal suggestions (like Kashi or something) then maybe that's better, but for people to just automatically tell her she should be eating oatmeal instead? I don't get it.

She asked if it was ok. People said yes. /endthread.

Thank you. :)

Yes end thread now!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Op, you want some Kale?
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    These types of cereals used to give me a big sugar rush and then I would have a horrible crash in the afternoon and walk around zombiefied but now I don't eat them anymore and I don't get that mid afternoon crash anymore. As much as I loved the taste of them it just wasn't worth it for me personally.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »
    These types of cereals used to give me a big sugar rush and then I would have a horrible crash in the afternoon and walk around zombiefied but now I don't eat them anymore and I don't get that mid afternoon crash anymore. As much as I loved the taste of them it just wasn't worth it for me personally.

This really is a result of not eating a balance of the right foods, not a sugar rush and crash. Eat more proteins and fats along with the cereal (spread out through the day) and there wouldn't be a crash.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My every morning breakfast.
    1 cup of either cheerios or bran flakes. Sometimes I get some other cereal but these two are my favorites.
    3/4 cup whole milk
    10 grams of slivered almonds
    fresh fruit Blueberries, strawberries or bananas usually.

This is somewhere between 350-400 calories depending on what fruit and how much. And the bran flakes are a little higher cal than the cheerios.

I walk 10,000 steps by lunch time doing a very physical job. and for me this just gets me through the morning without being ravenous at lunch time.

If it works for you. Enjoy it.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've tired Special K in the past, but it's just like eating air. I stick to Bran Flakes with a banana, or poached eggs on toast if I have enough time.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I don't understand "eating air", I have never ate the air, LOL. ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't understand "eating air", I have never ate the air, LOL. ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity_(confectionery)

MFP/Vanilla hates the format of the URL, but you can copy and paste.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [quote="owensy12;33454250"tumblr_inline_mkpobtkvzd1qz4rgp.gifI've tired Special K in the past, but it's just like eating air. I stick to Bran Flakes with a banana, or poached eggs on toast if I have enough time.[/quote]