Special K Cereal.. Is it ok to eat

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    She means that it doesn't fill her up, I think.

I don't generally find cereal very filling, myself, and often advise it when people ask about high-cal, but non-filling foods.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh it. A serving size is sooo sadly small :(
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh it. A serving size is sooo sadly small :(
    I weigh it the next day. A half box of Special K usually results in me being about a pound heavier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hate cold cereal. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat it. However, I am not OP, and thus that is not relevant, and either is my speculation on how filling it would be for me or how it would suit my goals.

Therefore, the correct answer is yes, it's fine to eat for breakfast if you like it, OP. If you don't actually like it much but are swayed by the "lose weight eating Special K" stuff, don't eat it, eat something you like.

As for carbs, it has 25, which isn't that much (unless you are doing keto or something), but doesn't have much else, so you might want to consider eating fat or protein with it, especially if you find you aren't staying full or are low on those macros at the end of the day. I would imagine that you are eating milk with it, which has protein and (depending on the kind you choose) carbs, but some might enjoy it in greek yogurt which would have even more protein.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get the Special K Protein version. I like it, it's semi sweet. But I usually have it as a night time snack when I want something sweet. It's really helped my protein goal though, I specifically picked it out for that. Maybe add in berries to bulk it up if you want it more filling.
  • weightlosssweetspot
    weightlosssweetspot Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I personally dislike Special K as it advertises itself as a "diet" cereal, and from a diabetic's point of view, it's terrible! Almost no fiber. It's essentially eating air.

Totally agree with you! Eating air and sugar. There are better choices out there. Oatmeal that you prepare would be a good one. But as many other posters have said, if you are within your cal goal and you like it, go for it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I personally dislike Special K as it advertises itself as a "diet" cereal, and from a diabetic's point of view, it's terrible! Almost no fiber. It's essentially eating air.

Totally agree with you! Eating air and sugar. There are better choices out there. Oatmeal that you prepare would be a good one. But as many other posters have said, if you are within your cal goal and you like it, go for it.

How do you eat air??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    5 pages about special K... GO you good things!! :joy:

In the interests of keeping on topic.. I love special K and pretty much every other cereal! But the calories are just not worth it for me. There is no way I'm having a piddly 45g serving that doesn't even touch the sides, so I'll I've have a big bowl, probably closer to 4-5 servings, and still be hungry an hour later.
    If I would feel satisfied with a small bowl, you can betcha I'd eat special K every single day.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I believe the question was, Is Special K okay to eat. Well of course it is. I didn't tell her that it wasn't. I didn't tell her or anyone else not to eat foods in a box. I personally choose mostly fresh vegetables and fruits. I don't have to worry about calorie deficits or serving sizes or bad vs good ingredients and it's done for me within 3 years what 35 years of medical treatment couldn't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lucstone wrote: »
    Why would you want food from a box when there's a plethora of fresh foods available...

Because box foods are also delicious and convenient. Obviously.

Yes indeedy!

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kaileyfry wrote: »
    If you eat too much carbs you will less likely to lose weight. All it does is enhance cravings. Eat fruit or vegetables.

But..fruits and vegetables have carbohydrates.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone else to notice that....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much carbs you will less likely to lose weight. All it does is enhance cravings. Eat fruit or vegetables.

Logic, smogic.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Howinell do Special K and oatmeal keep getting compared....? For pete's sake. If OP is asking about Special K, why not advise her to eat scrambled eggs instead? Or bacon and toast? Good lord.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Howinell do Special K and oatmeal keep getting compared....? For pete's sake. If OP is asking about Special K, why not advise her to eat scrambled eggs instead? Or bacon and toast? Good lord.

Stop making sense. That's not what this is all about.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    or Kale. KALE!
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    or Kale. KALE!

It always comes back to kale. Really, it's the only healthy food.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Well, those are special carbs, ;)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I read all 5 pages.... I think I have a headache now :| Who would have thought such a simple question about Special K would turn into this?!?!