Special K Cereal.. Is it ok to eat

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you like it. People get concerned about protein and fiber, but your dairy has protein, and you can add other foods into your day to get that in. Add a snack mid-morning if you get hungry. If you like it, eat it.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Meh, Special K has no fibers, i am stick with pure oatmeal, skim milk and goji berries, cheap and healthy, great for weightloss.
    Taste of oatmeal is blend but i dont care about taste :)
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This depends on your carb goals and what the rest of your day looks like. As long as you're fitting inside your carbohydrate goals, you probably don't need to worry at all.
  • angua1234
    angua1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can eat chocolate cake for breakfast and lose weight if you stay under your calorie goal. Carbs don't matter. Macros matter in that they will make you feel better and gain muscle mass, but for pure weight loss, you could eat 1500 calories of milkshakes and candy and drop the pounds.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    This depends on your carb goals and what the rest of your day looks like. As long as you're fitting inside your carbohydrate goals, you probably don't need to worry at all.

Carb goals don't really matter - calorie goals are key for weight loss. Low carb is a matter of choice. If OP wants to eat Special K and isn't a low carber, OP can eat Special K with no problems.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you like it, it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals for the day, and you don't feel any kind of adverse affects after eating it, then it sounds like a great addition to your diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike Special K as it advertises itself as a "diet" cereal, and from a diabetic's point of view, it's terrible! Almost no fiber. It's essentially eating air.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rossergirl wrote: »
    Special K is tasty but it only has 2 grams of protein. I do not think if would keep you full for very long.

Nope -

FLAVORED Special K's have 2 grams of protein......the original one is made with brown rice. 1 Cup Original Special K has 6 grams of protein. Pretty decent for cereal. What is lacking is fiber....zero
  • mccindy72
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I personally dislike Special K as it advertises itself as a "diet" cereal, and from a diabetic's point of view, it's terrible! Almost no fiber. It's essentially eating air.

The point isn't supposed to be that people are 'dieting' - the point is supposed to be that people are eating food they want to eat, while maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight. Avoiding the stigma of a 'diet' is a the point. Eating comfortably, happily, is the point. No one should be shamed about what they choose to eat. And as long as other food sources offer necessary fiber, everything is fine.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Low fiber, no whole grain and has wheat gluten. On the bright side, no BHT. Whole Grain offering does use BHT. There's better cereals. Pass.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

The point isn't supposed to be that people are 'dieting' - the point is supposed to be that people are eating food they want to eat, while maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight. Avoiding the stigma of a 'diet' is a the point. Eating comfortably, happily, is the point. No one should be shamed about what they choose to eat. And as long as other food sources offer necessary fiber, everything is fine.

^This.......totally this!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @mccindy72 , I personally dislike the Special K cereals advertising themselves as "diet" when there are clearly better choices (simpler, cheaper) out there. I agree it can be doctored in to something acceptable but that seems sort of counterproductive. The OP is looking for low-calorie, "healthy" choices for breakfast and frankly, Special K is not anywhere near the top of my list. I'll have a breakfast based on eggs or Greek Yogurt, and my first choice for cereal is oatmeal for it's high soluble fiber content.

Now, if Special K gives her particular joy, go for it! Just add back in all the things it's missing for breakfast.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    hal1964 wrote: »
    Low fiber, no whole grain and has wheat gluten. On the bright side, no BHT. Whole Grain offering does use BHT. There's better cereals. Pass.

Gluten is not bad for you unless you are one of the small percentage of the population who actually has an intolerance to it.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    anyone try there cereals is it a good part of a diet or is it too many carbs?

As noted above, with rare exceptions for medical conditions, carbs are not bad for you. They are in fact, good for you. Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. You can get by using fat and protein for energy, but most people feel miserable while waiting for their body to adapt to the lack of carbs. Unless you are a total slug spending all day in bed or on the sofa, you should be getting a good 30% to 50% of your calories from carbs.

Special K is not "good" for you. It's marketed that way, and it might be better than Cocoa Puffs, but it's not particularly healthy food. No processed breakfast cereal is. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. If you want Special K, eat Special K. Just make sure it fits within your calorie & macro goals, and that throughout the course of the day you're eating mostly whole, unprocessed food.

Note: I hate Special K. My daughter likes the Special K with strawberries and chocolate, so I make sure we always have a box on hand. The problem is that I can't resist the stuff. I try to stay away but it keeps calling to me. So I open the box and start picking at it, eating it dry. The next thing I know the box is more than half empty. Then my daughter yells at me for eating most of her cereal. So I buy another box and the process starts all over again. I hate Special K.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    anyone try there cereals is it a good part of a diet or is it too many carbs?

As noted above, with rare exceptions for medical conditions, carbs are not bad for you. They are in fact, good for you. Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. You can get by using fat and protein for energy, but most people feel miserable while waiting for their body to adapt to the lack of carbs. Unless you are a total slug spending all day in bed or on the sofa, you should be getting a good 30% to 50% of your calories from carbs.

Special K is not "good" for you. It's marketed that way, and it might be better than Cocoa Puffs, but it's not particularly healthy food. No processed breakfast cereal is.
    How are you defining "healthy," then?

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't ever eat it for breakfast because I'd be shaky ravenous hungry by mid-morning. Which means I'd eat too much as a snack.

However, I LOVE cold cereal -- especially Cinnamon Oat Squares from Giant -- so I work in the calories to have it as a snack sometimes in the afternoon.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat the Special K Protein and I like it. 1.5 servings is 180 calories and 15g of protein. :) I eat that along with a banana and greek yogurt.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Tex, it's a loose term and I'm sure some (maybe you) will be along to argue, but I'd define "healthy" as unprocessed, whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, legumes, dairy, etc. Foods with naturally occurring nutrients, not foods that have the nutrients processed out of them and then, in the case of Special K, nutrients supplemented back into them. I have nothing against vitamin fortified foods or vitamin supplements for that matter, but I think you're better off eating mostly whole foods with micronutrients interacting in ways that we don't yet fully understand.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    No it's not ok, it tastes like cardboard, get a tastier cereal.

This. Just joking... but seriously, I'd be hungry an hour later. I'd suggest a more filling breakfast, but that's just me...

Yes, I'd be hungry again in an hour as well. I prefer eggs for breakfast, but if you want a more filling cereal, try oatmeal from rolled oats or steel cut oats with something added to boost the protein.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten it. I do eat other cereals sometimes.
    If you like it and it fits your goals, fills you up, etc then eat it.