From one extreme to the next.....

2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    SAP82915 wrote: »
    I will start with my primary doctor maybe they can refer me to someone and i will do some research of my own, it would be wonderful to be better again
    Good plan, and good attitude! It sounds like your parents are supportive as well, which is wonderful. Beyond them (if you're still on their insurance), there's no reason anyone else ever needs to know, unless you want to tell them. I have recurring depression and am not shy about saying that I've been in therapy, as-needed, for years, but not everyone needs to know that. If it's really none of someone's business, I've told people "I'm not available at that time; I have an appointment that I can't cancel." If anyone presses the issue (which they won't, because that's so rude), blame it on the salon or a massage or something.

Getting help for an eating disorder, or any other mental health-related issue like anxiety or depression, is no different than getting help for a physical issue. Someone else went to school to find out how to help people in your exact situation, so you shouldn't be afraid of getting advice from an expert. I'm not saying that you shouldn't educate yourself (you absolutely should do your own research so you can be an informed, involved participant in your recovery), but you don't need to re-invent the wheel.

In the meantime, until you're ready to speak with your doctor, here are some resources:
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
    www.youreatopia.com