Replies

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    laineybz wrote: »
    I had to google this. In England it would be a weird combo lol.

I grew up in Germany so when I discovered biscuits and gravy and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I was like weird... But then I was in heaven!

Just noticed you live in Lawton! I live in Norman :) Oklahomans love their biscuits & gravy. I'm pretty sure it's part of our state meal. Or maybe that was chicken fried steak & gravy....
    Omg! How cool! :) I love that area! And yes you are right! Comfort food :) there are some gems for places to eat in our area!

Hey wait, is this an Oklahoma party? I'm in Midwest City.

Our state meal includes biscuits and gravy as one of the courses:
    fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas
    State Information

Better be hungry to eat all that... And the state beverage is milk, so that will go well with the biscuits and gravy.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    certain things just shouldn't be tampered with...if you're going to do them, just do them...just don't do them all of the time.

I'd rather enjoy a calorie bomb of true biscuits and gravy than some 1/2 the calories substitute that really doesn't even compare.

Very true.

I should hit maintenance in a couple of weeks . . maybe I'll have a calorie-bomb breakfast to celebrate before getting on the maintenance wagon.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Biscuits in a tube? McCormick powdered mixes?

I'm going to cry, they just aren't worth it kids.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I just have one very important question...

Red Eye or Cream?
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I grew up in Germany so when I discovered biscuits and gravy and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I was like weird... But then I was in heaven!

Just noticed you live in Lawton! I live in Norman :) Oklahomans love their biscuits & gravy. I'm pretty sure it's part of our state meal. Or maybe that was chicken fried steak & gravy....
    Omg! How cool! :) I love that area! And yes you are right! Comfort food :) there are some gems for places to eat in our area!

fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas
    State Information

Better be hungry to eat all that...

Oh how I exciting, I hardly ever see anyone else on here from Oklahoma! And yep, that is definitely the state meal.. lol How any one person could eat all that in one sitting, I have no idea, but it would be yummy, I'm sure.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Stodge.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Hey, if I want some hardcore biscuits and gravy I'm making it on the weekends. For weekday meals, I don't mind a sub version considering it only takes me 20 minutes to make, satisfies my cravings, and whole lot cheaper.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1 roll Jimmy Dean pork sausage 1080 calories
    4 tablespoons flour (if white 112 calories)
    3 3/4 cup skim milk 296 calories
    salt and pepper

1488 total for the skillet, makes 6 servings (for my family)

248 calories per serving.

Brown sausage like ground beef, spoon off some fat, leave some, it's in the calorie count. Sprinkle with flour and stir well until it sizzles, pour in milk salt and pepper and stir until bubbling and thick.

Best thing to do is weigh a skillet full and then weigh a portion so you know how much for next time. This makes a lot! I've never weighed it because they are always in the kitchen digging it out with spoons before it's done. I put mine over a scrambled egg and skip the biscuit.

It's about a 330 calorie meal for me that way.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    1 roll Jimmy Dean pork sausage 1080 calories
    4 tablespoons flour (if white 112 calories)
    3 3/4 cup skim milk 296 calories
    salt and pepper

1488 total for the skillet, makes 6 servings (for my family)

248 calories per serving.

Brown sausage like ground beef, spoon off some fat, leave some, it's in the calorie count. Sprinkle with flour and stir well until it sizzles, pour in milk salt and pepper and stir until bubbling and thick.

Best thing to do is weigh a skillet full and then weigh a portion so you know how much for next time. This makes a lot! I've never weighed it because they are always in the kitchen digging it out with spoons before it's done. I put mine over a scrambled egg and skip the biscuit.

It's about a 330 calorie meal for me that way.

That's sounds good.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I agree.

We don't even have biscuits and gravy in CT!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is what's for dinner here tonight! My hubby works late, so we eat the "naughty" food that isn't on his cardiac diet!! I had a nice light lunch in preparation
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I used turkey sausage and low fat biscuits. Made the gravy with skim milk.

My man licked the plate!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Look up the vegan version on the Happy Herbivore website. I've made it a few times. Vegan ground sausage (Gimme Lean) is pretty decent, soy milk replaces higher calorie ingredients in the gravy, and low fat biscuits. (sigh. I know it isn't the real stuff, but it isn't bad and has way less calories.)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but there are some foods you JUST DONT MESS WITH. A really good biscuits and gravy recipe means homemade biscuits with heavy cream and meat fat in the roux. When it comes to certain foods, they are worth budgeting for!
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

State Information

Better be hungry to eat all that... And the state beverage is milk, so that will go well with the biscuits and gravy.

Haha yall are killing me lol
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I agree.

We don't even have biscuits and gravy in CT!