Convincing Yourself to Workout When You Don't Feel Like It?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I went to the dentist today & got a teeth cleaning which gave me a minor headache. After waiting for the fluoride to go away, I ate lunch at ~3:30pm, which put my planned 4pm workout on hold for a bit. My headache got a little worse, and I feel really sleepy.

I know I can go workout, I will like it if I get there. I went over calories a couple times in the past 7 days, and I haven't been to the gym since Saturday (and I only have a couple days before I get my period and really won't want to go to the gym).

How do you convince yourself to go work out when you don't feel like it?

Replies

• Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Exercise really elevates my mood so it's something I actively seek out now when I'm feeling crappy. I'm currently dealing with insomnia and just started my period and also just finished a jog, and I'm a lot more cheerful than I was before I went!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have made it a habit. I feel bad when I don't exercise.

Plus I eat exercise calories, and if I don't exercise I don't get to eat as much as I would like.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Even if I don't want to. It's habit. It's just part of my routine, like going to work and brushing my teeth. I just do it. I never regret it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I enjoy what I do for my fitness...so it's really not that much of a chore...I love to ride and I love to lift. On the occasion that I'm really not in the mood, I just do it...same way that I'm usually not in the mood to do the dishes...or mow the lawn...or clean the bathroom. Sometimes things just need doing, so you do them.

if i really need a true rest, that's one thing...but being a lazy *kitten* is a lame fecking excuse.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I know once when I get there I'll feel great - getting dressed and out the front door is the hardest. If it's really bad I take some pre-workout and then I have to move! If my body is physically hurting I just don't go and wait til I feel better.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been following a bunch of athletes on instagram and seeing their beautiful bodies everyday inspires me to do my workout. It's a big motivation for me
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Even if I don't want to. It's habit. It's just part of my routine, like going to work and brushing my teeth. I just do it. I never regret it.

This. I never feel crappy after working out, but I almost always feel crappy if I skip it.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If I genuinely feel sick or unwell, then I just rest. But if I'm just being lazy I don't bother to convince myself because I often remain unconvinced. :) I just say to myself "Suck it up, buttercup!" and get off my butt and go no matter how I feel. Usually I feel better once I get started.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If I genuinely feel sick or unwell, then I just rest. But if I'm just being lazy I don't bother to convince myself because I often remain unconvinced. :) I just say to myself "Suck it up, buttercup!" and get off my butt and go no matter how I feel. Usually I feel better once I get started.

That is the the same thing I tell my self. I was fixing to post it right before I read yours.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way today so I had to read your post. I think I'm coming down with something, but I've got group training run scheduled this evening. I could just skip it, but I won't. Why? Because I've learned that working out is an action, not a feeling.

It turns out you don't need to want to do it, not even a little bit, in order to do it. You just need to put on your shoes, grab your water bottle and go wherever you work out. You can even grumble all the way there if you want. It may even burn extra calories.

The good news is it gets easier and easier the more times you workout when you aren't feeling it. I realize I'm probably feeling this way right now because I've been on vacation and have been away from my workout routine for a few weeks. I know once I get back into it, I'll stop thinking about whether I'm going to workout or not.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    02e8a3de12f8851a59bfe9087f5bea39.jpg

^ This is my philosophy. I work out at 4:00 in the morning and I don't give myself the option not to. At this point it's automatic for me to just get out of bed and get downstairs to our garage gym. I don't remember ever having to really convince myself to do it, but I did have that issue when I was trying to force myself to work out in the evenings. I'm best in the morning - after work, I have no motivation to exercise. So, early morning workouts are my best (and only) option.
  • burgundy37
    burgundy37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I went to the dentist today & got a teeth cleaning which gave me a minor headache. After waiting for the fluoride to go away, I ate lunch at ~3:30pm, which put my planned 4pm workout on hold for a bit. My headache got a little worse, and I feel really sleepy.

I know I can go workout, I will like it if I get there. I went over calories a couple times in the past 7 days, and I haven't been to the gym since Saturday (and I only have a couple days before I get my period and really won't want to go to the gym).

How do you convince yourself to go work out when you don't feel like it?

Tell yourself you are going for 5 minutes. Once you get there you will stay longer.
  • rhiannonarmstrong31
    rhiannonarmstrong31 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Think about the cool down and relaxation after it!ifi have a headache I do some gentle stretches first just to loosen up and feel better then build up to my full work out once in the past 3weeks I didn't do my work out because of a migrain..
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I sign up for series dance classes. I'm not going to skip something I've paid for in advance.

I also found a way to combine being social with exercise- social dance. So- what do you like to do? Watch tv? Get your favorite shows on a tablet and only watch while working out. Like podcasts? Only listen to them while running. Figure out the things that you like to do and find a way to incorporate exercise.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I fret about it a lot less these days because im so far ahead at being diligent. I feel better if ive gone and done everything, but if im not up to it then I dont go as a crap workout is rubbish. What I would say is getting yourself in the gym is 70% of the battle. Making it a habit is key.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    I've been following a bunch of athletes on instagram and seeing their beautiful bodies everyday inspires me to do my workout. It's a big motivation for me

I do this too!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Step 1: put the gym clothes
    step 2: get in the car and drive
    step 3: park in the gym and get inside
    step 4: convince my self that mehhh since I'm here why not do "only 15 mins"

That usually ends in doing the whole workout
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I have made it a habit. I feel bad when I don't exercise.

Plus I eat exercise calories, and if I don't exercise I don't get to eat as much as I would like.
    ^^ This
  • on_the_other_side
    on_the_other_side Posts: 6 Member
    Options

That really is the key. It really is like flossing or brushing your teeth. After an appointment with a dentist years ago, I knew I needed to get serious about flossing every day. It was a "do this or suffer in the future" sort of thing in my mind. Scared, I did it. Every day. Years later, I still HATE flossing at night, but I never skip it. When something becomes a habit, you feel a compulsion to do it no matter how you feel (unless you're bedridden or the like). I think the key is to keep being honest about the food and exercise you log and note what happens when you don't exercise or go over your calories a little here and there--not much. Then remind yourself of that every day, that you'll never get there without doing this. The hardest part--getting ready and getting out the door--might always be a chore, but you'll begin to do it every day even if you're grumbling all the way to the door.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Since I almost always enjoy going to the gym and lifting, I find it's not a big deal if I need to take an extra day off for whatever reason on rare occasion. That's me - I know that I won't get in the habit of not going, so it's fine. Your mileage may vary.