Convincing Yourself to Workout When You Don't Feel Like It?

Options
2»

Replies

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I keep my gym bag geared up and ready all the time. That way it's no hassle to grab it and go :smile:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The only way I could guarantee to have free time to do my workout was if I got up a little early and did it first thing in the morning. It isn't an option. If I'm really in a funk I tell myself I can walk through the workout. Right. By the time I'm dressed with running shoes laced my mood has lifted and I always feel ready to greet the day after my workout.

I've been working out for decades and the only time I could switch to an afternoon workout was in college. Once I started working and then had kids, life got too unpredictable and by the end of the day I could find a zillion reasons why I should skip the workout. I jogged outside for many years, then as I got older with worse joints, on an inside treadmill. Now I'm taking a break from that and trying at home work out DVDs. I guess I'm a loner when it comes to working out but if you go to a class find a group and all commit to going 'x' times a week together.
  • meganhenegar
    meganhenegar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started this app today and I'm trying to loose weight and make exercise a habit...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just do. Or I take a pre-workout. Or, if I feel really really really crappy-I don't go.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! My headache got considerably worse & turned into a migraine, so I didn't go. I'm just trying to get rid of the headache now, argh. At least the nausea is keeping me from snacking L O L I hate migraines sooo much. Tomorrow, though :)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    for the most part, I enjoy what I do for my fitness...so it's really not that much of a chore...I love to ride and I love to lift. On the occasion that I'm really not in the mood, I just do it...same way that I'm usually not in the mood to do the dishes...or mow the lawn...or clean the bathroom. Sometimes things just need doing, so you do them.

if i really need a true rest, that's one thing...but being a lazy *kitten* is a lame fecking excuse.

hah. this.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You made he right choice imo, if the migraine was in full swing then its unlikely exercise would have made it better, maybe made it worse. Listen to your body.
  • cjingles
    cjingles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's a bit stupid, but if I feel like that (lazy, not really sick) then I have to lie to myself. "I'll just put my workout clothes on--they'll be more comfortable than my work clothes." Then once I'm in my workout clothes I just kind of accept that it's time to work out, and then I pretty much instantly feel better and ready to do it. As I said, quite stupid, but for some reason it works for me!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cjingles wrote: »
    It's a bit stupid, but if I feel like that (lazy, not really sick) then I have to lie to myself. "I'll just put my workout clothes on--they'll be more comfortable than my work clothes." Then once I'm in my workout clothes I just kind of accept that it's time to work out, and then I pretty much instantly feel better and ready to do it. As I said, quite stupid, but for some reason it works for me!

haha! that's a) kind of adorable and b) something I might actually do. associative behaviour conditioning! :smiley:
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses! My headache got considerably worse & turned into a migraine, so I didn't go. I'm just trying to get rid of the headache now, argh. At least the nausea is keeping me from snacking L O L I hate migraines sooo much. Tomorrow, though :)

Good call. There are definitely times to not work out - migraines, chest infections etc. But barring illness, it just comes down to habit rather than motivation. If I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and not up to my usual session I'll go for a walk or do yoga - something lighter. But I still do something and it often makes me feel better too.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I usually will make myself because it makes me feel good and I know it helps the process and makes me healthier. If I have a headache I usually won't work out because then it'll get worse for me.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I have made it a habit. I feel bad when I don't exercise.

Plus I eat exercise calories, and if I don't exercise I don't get to eat as much as I would like.

I'm the same! I've set my activity to sedentary and track my steps and exercise. If I don't walk around or go to the gym, I'm not gonna be eating much for the day. It's a big motivator for me coz I love my food! Hahahaha! Plus I feel guilty not going to the gym, since I only go about 4x/week as it is, and most people on here seriously trying to lose weight go everyday!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My gym has wifi; I can surf the internet while I do cardio, and that is all the motivation I need to get me in the door. But, when my gym didn't have wifi, I had playlists to listen to. There is always some kind of small reward you can give yourself at the gym. I love having time to myself.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There's a mantra that I like that says "Exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it". I go through the same struggles with exercising, especially around the time for my period to start because I just generally have less energy & don't feel as well. However, I've never exercised & then regretted having done so. It goes without saying that exercise can really be a mood booster!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I sure as hell wouldn't want to exercise after seeing the dentist! It's ok to skip a day for something like that, just make it up the next day.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    whenever i dont want to workout, I'll at least force myself to put on my gym clothes. Once they're on, I go, I have yet to not go to the gym when I'm already dressed for it : )
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a hedonist. I only like things that make me feel good. I think if whatever exercise you do does not feel good or deeply satisfying, it takes enormous effort to do it in the long term. If you don't think whatever exercise you do is hella fun, maybe you want to find something that is. Walking, dancing, sex...there are a lot of ways to burn calories that are not at the gym.

Best of luck!