Why do I see body builders eating less than me?

Options
13»

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Eat more fat perhaps. Fat doesn't make you fat, or kill you. You could get more calories in if you add an avocado, some dark chocolate or some butter to your veg.

Yes, this^^.
    Also, try eating Nuts....they're very calorific.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Sorry about your brother. Individual BMR may not vary much from normal, but a lot of untrackable behaviors get lumped into TDEE. Nervous ticks like shuffling your feet while you are sitting, tossing around a lot in your sleep, a job where you have to sit down and get up a lot, a lot of stairs in your house, etc, are all somewhat invisible activity that goes towards your TDEE. My son can't sit still for 5 minutes with getting up to randomly jump up and down or run around in circles.
    A lot of people log inaccurately too because they don't have a food scale or just because there are so many bad entries in the database.

Yes thats true, I didn't think of that. I am on my feet a lot at work. Thanks for your reply.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    1) in order to gain weight you need to be eating 2500+ calories. Why'? Because 2500 is on the low end for those who need to gain weight, I've seen people eat over 8000 calories to try and gain.
    2) There is no number 2 because it's not rocket science, you stated you eat 1900-2000 calories a day ONTOP of working out. Simply eat more until you start to gain weight. Unless you have a freak metabolism then I would suggest seeing a doctor and a nutritionist.
    Also a lot of bodybuilders go low cal when they cut.

Yes I know it takes about 2500 when the person isn't SO underweight. That is what I was confused about. Why I could lose to get SO underweight on 1500 and then not gain it back. When a lot of people are underweight they usually gain very easily because bodies don't like to be underweight. It would be different if I was only a few lbs underweight. I will suck it up and stop fooling myself. I guess I just need to eat 2500 if I want to see results bottom line.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Sorry, I guess I just need to suck it up and eat more. You all are right.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you eat a truckload of vegetables, so just swap some out for higher fat foods. And I agree nuts are a fantastic choice!
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Ok, back to the 36 or 38 ATP question --

I've worked on educational materials related to cellular respiration and the reason there is a difference is b/c when the electrons from our food are carried into the inner mitochondrial membrane, there are 2 types of electron carriers: NADH and FADH2. If NADH carries the electrons to the inner membrane, you get 38 ATP. BUT, FADH2 carries electrons from the citric acid cycle and unloads them in a different spot, resulting in 36 ATPs.

I never get to use that piece of trivia, thanks for the opportunity to share it!
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    http://rippedbody.jp/diet-break/

That was a really good article. Thanks for posting!

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to eat a larger volume of food, but choose more calorie dense foods. Make sure you are consuming full fat dairy if you eat dairy. Use healthy oils in your cooking. There are ways to get more calories without feeling like you are stuffing yourself or eating crap all day.