The Potato: Friend or Foe?

Options

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm never sure where most people stand on potatos. I eat them on a regular basis. They're an excellent source of potassium, which I was low on, have many other vitamins and minerals...and they taste good (IMO, anyway.) I like the sweet potato, but give me an Idaho any time and I'll take that.

Where stand you on our friend (or enemy?) the potato?
    I usually avoid them except on those days when I just call it christmas and cheat.
    A potato is not so bad, but once I am done loading it with stuff, it's bad...very bad...and so delicious!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I want to try this recipe...as soon as I get a waffle maker...

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/waffled-mashed-potatoes-bacon-cheddar-recipe.html

Waffled Mashed Potatoes With Bacon, Scallion, and Cheddar

tu4ynoglln53.jpg

That's a great idea! I wonder if it works with cauliflower.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I'm never sure where most people stand on potatos. I eat them on a regular basis. They're an excellent source of potassium, which I was low on, have many other vitamins and minerals...and they taste good (IMO, anyway.) I like the sweet potato, but give me an Idaho any time and I'll take that.

Potaotos are my (Friend)
    I eat them for the "potassium" mainly and the other good nutrients it has

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I want to try this recipe...as soon as I get a waffle maker...

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/waffled-mashed-potatoes-bacon-cheddar-recipe.html

Waffled Mashed Potatoes With Bacon, Scallion, and Cheddar

tu4ynoglln53.jpg

That's a great idea! I wonder if it works with cauliflower.

The recipe has eggs, so it should work with cauliflower. Yesterday I made zucchini patties. Same principle - low starch vegetable.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    Friend, I eat Yukon gold or Red with skin.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Friend. I eat normal (white) Potato's and Sweet potato's with (tinned) Tuna and grated cheese on top for protein. Baked Beans and cottage cheese is great too for added protein.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love the purple ones too!
    18s047iy7959mjpg.jpg
    yes!
    I never tried them 1's before will go on the hunt for them when i go to my market run
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it's a whole food...I'm a whole foods advocate.

potatoes are loaded with nutrition....stupid low carb fad has demonized a lot of good, healthy foods.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    nanniek1 wrote: »
    Potatoes are very nutrient dense, especially the skin. It's what you put on them that makes them icky for you. Salsa, veggies sautéed in broth or a small amount of cheese on them can replace the sour cream and bacon you may be used to.

Note sure what icky means. . .some people celebrate icky. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kABeR8NJSQ
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome. So nutrient dense. And easy to add to most dishes.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of my favorite foods. And they keep me full. Hot, cold, whatever. Roasted with herbs, Brussels sprout and potato hash, cauliflower and potato soup. A thousand ways to top a baked potato. Mash one with kale and garlic. Add slices to a frittata to make it more filling.
    So many possibilities!
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I *love* new\salad potatoes boiled with the skin on <3 add some fish and some greens- YUM :p
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I eat both potatoes and sweet potatoes a lot. I particularly like them roasted with their skin, a little olive oil and salt, and sometimes dill or rosemary and/or garlic.

Friend- I couldn't be without baby potatoes roasted in their skins like lemurcat said. I also sprinkle them with smoked paprika to go with turkey chilli or with cayenne pepper powder to go with chicken breast and things.

They are good for the fibre and lots of other nutrients and I find them very filling.

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

potatoes are loaded with nutrition....stupid low carb fad has demonized a lot of good, healthy foods.

I need a "Like" button.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Friend, but im a lot more careful with them these days. They dont really fill me up for the calories. they are also the building block for making chips or other more high calorie derivatives.

I eat a lot more of them in the fall/ winter. Am a fan.
  • jolin83
    jolin83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Depends on the application of said potato.

In the wrong hands potatoes can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by trained experts under controlled conditions. They are instruments of destruction. Delicious destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqrAYg30bp8

• jolin83
    jolin83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lol!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Not an enemy.
    I grew up with a mother who didn't consider it a complete meal unless there was a potato involved.
    I don't eat potatoes like that anymore but potatoes are a regular part of my diet.

• B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I need a "Like" button.

Yeeessssss!!!
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are our friend. Its what you do to them or put on them that makes them an enemy. They are loaded with potassium and if you google resistant starch you can see how to prepare them to avoid any insulin spikes. They have less carbs than a lot of fruit.