Food Addict

Options
I have a serious problem. When I am around certain foods I feel like I can't control myself. I can't stop thinking about some foods when they are around no matter how hard I try. Eventually I always give in. For example, my boyfriend bought a package of white chocolate flips recently. He left it at my apartment. At first I resolved not to eat it. After awhile of resisting I decided just to eat a few.... which turned into a few more.... and before I knew it the package was empty. I always feel depressed and ashamed after this happens. Can anyone else identify with this struggle?

Replies

• wordbetsy
    wordbetsy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yikes ! Finally found somebody that has the same problem as me i downloaded this app today hoping that this would be enough motivation for me lol . but i myself could definetly identify with you about an hour ago i said to my self im not eating anything else tonight and. Do you know what i go do take some pringles make a sandwhich...
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am such an idiot! Sunday night I cooked up a dozen Cheddar Bay Biscuits and ate 4!! I gave them to my son the next day....
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    wordbetsy wrote: »
    Yikes ! Finally found somebody that has the same problem as me i downloaded this app today hoping that this would be enough motivation for me lol . but i myself could definetly identify with you about an hour ago i said to my self im not eating anything else tonight and. Do you know what i go do take some pringles make a sandwhich...

I know I have such a problem with late night cravings too! Drives me crazy. Have you found any methods to help curb those cravings?
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    I am such an idiot! Sunday night I cooked up a dozen Cheddar Bay Biscuits and ate 4!! I gave them to my son the next day....

Man I love cheddar biscuits! Especially from Red Lobster and they just keep refilling them on your plate. Soooooo hard to pass up.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Flips are good. I suspect you made them more alluring than they would otherwise be (or deserve) because of your resolve to not eat any even though you understandably wanted to have some (i.e. made them "forbidden").

I recommend viewing Flips in the same undramatic light as you view any other food you permiss yourself to eat. Shame is a consequence of committing transgressions. You drew the line between you and Flips, and then crossed it, crossing the line isn't the problem, drawing any line in the first place is the problem.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lourdesong! I'm a big fan of everything in moderation because once I tell myself I "can't" have something or "won't" eat something, that's all I can think about! So, I make sure to budget myself a treat everyday. Something of a splurge so it's "easier" to say no to other temptations when I know I have a treat to look forward to. For instance...we have a beach pail of chocolate in our office, as well as regular boxes of doughnut holes. This week my treat is Dove dark mint promises...so knowing I have one or two waiting for me helps me pass up the candy that I'd be eating just because it's there. If you really like the pretzels, tell yourself you can have one serving...measure it out, and really savor them (as in, eat them without distraction of a tv, etc)...walking away after that serving will still require willpower, but maybe since you let yourself have a treat without guilt, it will be easier.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Flips are good. I suspect you made them more alluring than they would otherwise be (or deserve) because of your resolve to not eat any even though you understandably wanted to have some (i.e. made them "forbidden").

I recommend viewing Flips in the same undramatic light as you view any other food you permiss yourself to eat. Shame is a consequence of committing transgressions. You drew the line between you and Flips, and then crossed it, crossing the line isn't the problem, drawing any line in the first place is the problem.

This. I had this experience yesterday with a can of Pringles at lunch, lol. The longer I spend thinking about it and adding it to my diary to see the impact, then saying, "Noooo I don't like having that many calories at lunch," then saying, "But I really want them..."

I ended up eating them. And went over my allotted calories for the day by about the amount of my can of Pringles. And while I was still under maintenance for the day, it was frustrating!

The best thing to do is exactly what people have already said: moderate and allow yourself treats here and there. You also have to accept that you are not perfect, and some days you're gonna have a lot of food, and you're going to exceed your calories -- and once in a while, it's okay. _D
  • LisaC1202
    LisaC1202 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Struggle with this everyday of my life.
  • dfree4wb
    dfree4wb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can identify with that. Certain cookies are my weakness, but boredom gets me. If i'm stuck inside and bored, i'll graze all day especially if those bothersome cookies are around! Good luck, it's tough to limit the things you really like.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

That's really good advice. Thank you so much. I do that all the time. I just can't help wishing I didn't feel the overwhelming need to eat any in the first place. It feels like it's not even my choice sometimes. Like I have total loss of control. Very frustrating. Sometimes I try to eat something healthy instead and even though I'm full I still end up eating the food I was trying to avoid that led me to eat in the first place.
  • jlaustin957
    jlaustin957 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a food addiction issue. Pizza is a trigger food ...im hoping to redefine my relationship with food
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    runningkel wrote: »
    I agree with Lourdesong! I'm a big fan of everything in moderation because once I tell myself I "can't" have something or "won't" eat something, that's all I can think about! So, I make sure to budget myself a treat everyday. Something of a splurge so it's "easier" to say no to other temptations when I know I have a treat to look forward to. For instance...we have a beach pail of chocolate in our office, as well as regular boxes of doughnut holes. This week my treat is Dove dark mint promises...so knowing I have one or two waiting for me helps me pass up the candy that I'd be eating just because it's there. If you really like the pretzels, tell yourself you can have one serving...measure it out, and really savor them (as in, eat them without distraction of a tv, etc)...walking away after that serving will still require willpower, but maybe since you let yourself have a treat without guilt, it will be easier.

That's a good idea. I have a hard time avoiding eating while watching TV for sure. They practically go hand in hand for me.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

This. I had this experience yesterday with a can of Pringles at lunch, lol. The longer I spend thinking about it and adding it to my diary to see the impact, then saying, "Noooo I don't like having that many calories at lunch," then saying, "But I really want them..."

I ended up eating them. And went over my allotted calories for the day by about the amount of my can of Pringles. And while I was still under maintenance for the day, it was frustrating!

The best thing to do is exactly what people have already said: moderate and allow yourself treats here and there. You also have to accept that you are not perfect, and some days you're gonna have a lot of food, and you're going to exceed your calories -- and once in a while, it's okay. _D

Thanks gramarye. I've tried entering in food ahead of time to deter me from eating it too. It pretty much never works. I just hate wasting calories on junk food and then still being hungry and feeling like I need more food even though I have already met my calorie goal for the day.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    dfree4wb wrote: »
    Yes, I can identify with that. Certain cookies are my weakness, but boredom gets me. If i'm stuck inside and bored, i'll graze all day especially if those bothersome cookies are around! Good luck, it's tough to limit the things you really like.

Oh yeah boredom makes it very difficult to avoid eating unnecessarily. I can definitely relate to that. And I love cookies! Especially oreos and homemade chocolate chip cookies.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    LisaC1202 wrote: »
    Struggle with this everyday of my life.

Nice to know I'm not alone.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    I definitely have a food addiction issue. Pizza is a trigger food ...im hoping to redefine my relationship with food

Pizza is a big one for me too. I had pizza last night and this morning, although I still managed to meet my calorie goal yesterday. I hate that food is such a comforter and friend to me. I wish I could just think of it as fuel for my body.
  • VeggieKMommy
    VeggieKMommy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I just came in to the section to write about the same thing!
    I totally have a food addiction, late night snacking and regretting it EVERYDAY I wake up saying today is the day I change. I sneak eat donuts when I'm driving and at work, I think about loosing weight and quitting junk every second of the day. At work I eat healthy, very healthy. It's funny because I basically just eat a plant based diet when I'm around everyone else, if I could just kick the junk I'd be golden. I need help and support, if I can't do this on my own any time soon I will be getting help!
    Stressful :(
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I was a long term carb abuser. I would just keep eating even when it hurt to eat more. Never knew "why" but I know is was not because I was truly hungry. Because it was going to kill me at my age I decided to taper off. After two months I was a total failure at tapering off carbs. Finally when I was going to have to start Enbrel injections for arthritis pain I left carbs cold turkey. I thought I was going to die for two long weeks. It was the fear of death from getting cancer (Enbrel side effect) that drove me on. Thankfully after two weeks the physical cravings just started fading very fast. It took a few more months before the mental 'addiction' (to use your term) started to fade.

Thankfully in 30 days my pain levels dropped from a 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale and I was able to tell the doctors NO on starting Enbrel injections. That was 10 months ago. My pain is even less now (not all gone however), I am in better health than in 20 years and have lost another 30 pounds putting me just under 200 for the first time in 22 years. I eat a lot and never go hungry.

Most do not need to go very low carb and that is good because most would not give up carbs unless starring death in the face or at least I did not give up carbs for 40 years. @AshleyCMoody I only share my story because I think you are serious and may in time have a real reason to give up/limit carbs for your health. It can be done and after the physical and mental withdrawal stage I wondered why I waited 40 years and after my body was a physical wreck from crippling Ankylosing Spondylitis form of arthritis.

Best of luck. Meeting calorie goals is good but in my case my physical damage came from eating types of calories that over time became toxic to my health for some reason. I only learned that from reading research and by eliminating carbohydrates. No I did not think it would manage my pain but when facing real cancer risks I left off carbs and started to see my health to start to improve within 30 days.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Hello!
    I just came in to the section to write about the same thing!
    I totally have a food addiction, late night snacking and regretting it EVERYDAY I wake up saying today is the day I change. I sneak eat donuts when I'm driving and at work, I think about loosing weight and quitting junk every second of the day. At work I eat healthy, very healthy. It's funny because I basically just eat a plant based diet when I'm around everyone else, if I could just kick the junk I'd be golden. I need help and support, if I can't do this on my own any time soon I will be getting help!
    Stressful :(

I am the same way. Definitely here for support. Do you happen to be a vegetarian? Just noticed your name. I have another thread about being an overweight vegetarian.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    I was a long term carb abuser. I would just keep eating even when it hurt to eat more. Never knew "why" but I know is was not because I was truly hungry. Because it was going to kill me at my age I decided to taper off. After two months I was a total failure at tapering off carbs. Finally when I was going to have to start Enbrel injections for arthritis pain I left carbs cold turkey. I thought I was going to die for two long weeks. It was the fear of death from getting cancer (Enbrel side effect) that drove me on. Thankfully after two weeks the physical cravings just started fading very fast. It took a few more months before the mental 'addiction' (to use your term) started to fade.

Thankfully in 30 days my pain levels dropped from a 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale and I was able to tell the doctors NO on starting Enbrel injections. That was 10 months ago. My pain is even less now (not all gone however), I am in better health than in 20 years and have lost another 30 pounds putting me just under 200 for the first time in 22 years. I eat a lot and never go hungry.

Most do not need to go very low carb and that is good because most would not give up carbs unless starring death in the face or at least I did not give up carbs for 40 years. @AshleyCMoody I only share my story because I think you are serious and may in time have a real reason to give up/limit carbs for your health. It can be done and after the physical and mental withdrawal stage I wondered why I waited 40 years and after my body was a physical wreck from crippling Ankylosing Spondylitis form of arthritis.

Best of luck. Meeting calorie goals is good but in my case my physical damage came from eating types of calories that over time became toxic to my health for some reason. I only learned that from reading research and by eliminating carbohydrates. No I did not think it would manage my pain but when facing real cancer risks I left off carbs and started to see my health to start to improve within 30 days.

Wow, that is an incredible story. I know I need to cut down on carbs and I'm definitely doing better now than I was a few months ago before I joined this app. I sure don't want to be facing death over this. Thanks for sharing that with me.