"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It prob is true. That's why the diet fad biz is so big. How many on MFP have lost weight only ONCE and kept it off forever? Even if it is true, it doesn't mean you can't be successful today.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    i think for people who follow ' diets' it could definitely be true. especially if you are cutting out whole food groups of foods that you (or the diet) classify as 'bad' (ie: sugar, carbs, whatever).

but for those of us who have made lifestyle changes... and eat everything we enjoy WITHIN those calorie (whether loss or maintenance) unless you just get lazy and stop monitoring your intake, i find it hard to believe. thats why its so important for me the same foods i always have - just in smaller quantities. could i eat MORE? oh yes - i can gorge myself till i feel like im going to pop ... i just dont do it anymore.
    Eating less isn't really a lifestyle change.

Lifestyle changes are big things, like adding exercise when you didn't do it before or eating a healthy diet when you didn't - the kind of things that change your way of living - your lifestyle. Eating less changes your calorie total, not your way of living.

You can totally be successful that way! It's just not what they're talking about when they say "lifestyle."
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I agree with @Kalikel. Everyone should be mindful of the high probability that they will regain. Everyone who says "well that only applies to OTHER people and not to me" needs to remember one thing: you weren't born obese, you became that way through your choices. In other words, you've already failed once. If you couldn't avoid it last time, why are you confident that you can avoid it this time?

I'm not saying don't try. If anything, I'm saying "try harder." I know that's my plan, because really, what other options do we have?

Not always the case esp now in North America.

Childhood obesity is reach epidemic proportions...why ....it's not the kids it's the parents...the kids don't have a choice really.

Chances are they will be obese adults until they choose to fix it...but without education that won't happen...so who's fault is that?

And I don't think anyone is saying that no one will regain..we all know those who did and do still..but we as adults have a say in the matter now...

And just because I was fat once and failed at being healthy once doesn't mean I will do it again...we as humans have the ability to learn from our mistakes...

And I don't think anyone here saying it won't be me isn't mindful of the fact lots do...it just won't be us.

As the stats say 2/10 don't regain it...

fail to plan...plan to fail

And tell me, do children remain obese as adults because somebody continues to force feed them, or is that perhaps a result of their lifestyle choices?

lifestyle choice due to poor education around food and already formed habits that need broken but...yes but that only happens with education.

Children do not choose obesity...and if a child is obese then becomes an obese adult and has no idea there is a simple way to not be obese that is not the fault of the child who is now an adult? is it really a choice? Fat cells are created during childhood...

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/may2008/05122008fat.htm

Which is another reason people have a hard time maintaining...

I mean seriously I've watched shows where obese adults had no idea what a calorie was or that it was important for weight loss or that some foods were higher in calories than others...no joke.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    i think for people who follow ' diets' it could definitely be true. especially if you are cutting out whole food groups of foods that you (or the diet) classify as 'bad' (ie: sugar, carbs, whatever).

but for those of us who have made lifestyle changes... and eat everything we enjoy WITHIN those calorie (whether loss or maintenance) unless you just get lazy and stop monitoring your intake, i find it hard to believe. thats why its so important for me the same foods i always have - just in smaller quantities. could i eat MORE? oh yes - i can gorge myself till i feel like im going to pop ... i just dont do it anymore.

Lifestyle changes are big things, like adding exercise when you didn't do it before or eating a healthy diet when you didn't - the kind of things that change your way of living - your lifestyle. Eating less changes your calorie total, not your way of living.

You can totally be successful that way! It's just not what they're talking about when they say "lifestyle."

Eh, I don't think any of this is really a lifestyle change. So you now run or lift weights (or whatever you do)? So would taking classes to learn the guitar also count as a lifestyle change if it takes the same amount of time and practice? If someone finally listens to their dentist and starts to floss faithfully, is that a lifestyle change? I mean, changing what and how much you eat...is it really turning your whole life upside down? Someone who gives up their six figure job to go sell ice cream on the beach = lifestyle change :)

My point is, who care what it's called: diet, lifestyle. If you piece together healthy habits and stick to them as your new normal, you're probably in good shape.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It can be. Going from never thinking about how much you are eating and eating basically all the time, like some do, vs. watching what you eat and exercising some sense about amounts, for someone who had just never realized you should think about those things can be a big change.

I even think that quite often such changes drive other changes (like gravitating to more nutrient dense foods) since when you can't eat everything you are likely to be more choose and also start thinking about what keeps you full.

I ate a generally "healthy" diet pre weight loss (since many or most of the foods I like tend to be classified as "healthy," at least by some--vegetables, fruits, meat, whole foods in general) and so learning how to make the same foods with fewer calories was significant. Not the only change I made -- being active is the most important difference for me in gaining vs. losing weight, and the second most is not overdoing it at restaurants/takeout (but generally foods that would be categorized as healthy more than "junk," I think) -- but a significant one.

Anyway, I kind of hate the term "lifestyle change" (although not nearly as much as the weird "journey" terminology), so I'm not arguing that I did have a lifestyle change, but I do think any significant change of habits probably should count as such. After all, people who eat "healthy" still become fat and don't necessarily have an easier time losing weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »

Eh, I don't think any of this is really a lifestyle change. So you now run or lift weights (or whatever you do)? So would taking classes to learn the guitar also count as a lifestyle change if it takes the same amount of time and practice? If someone finally listens to their dentist and starts to floss faithfully, is that a lifestyle change? I mean, changing what and how much you eat...is it really turning your whole life upside down? Someone who gives up their six figure job to go sell ice cream on the beach = lifestyle change :)

My point is, who care what it's called: diet, lifestyle. If you piece together healthy habits and stick to them as your new normal, you're probably in good shape.

Yes--I mentioned being active vs. not before, but the change I've made that I'd most consider a lifestyle change (although that I still struggle with) is prioritizing my health and weightloss goals over other things. When I was gaining weight I was telling myself that I did not have time to go to the gym, to start a workout program, to make and bring lunch, to have food on hand to cook regularly. I was working from 7:30 to 10 very commonly and eating everything at work. I could have fixed my lifestyle, but I had convinced myself I couldn't, that other things always had to take priority. My work is quite boom and bust, so I ended up starting when I had more time, but that I learned (gradually) to keep up with my healthy habits even when it got crazy was a huge change in my outlook and what I was willing to put first.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes--I mentioned being active vs. not before, but the change I've made that I'd most consider a lifestyle change (although that I still struggle with) is prioritizing my health and weightloss goals over other things. When I was gaining weight I was telling myself that I did not have time to go to the gym, to start a workout program, to make and bring lunch, to have food on hand to cook regularly. I was working from 7:30 to 10 very commonly and eating everything at work. I could have fixed my lifestyle, but I had convinced myself I couldn't, that other things always had to take priority. My work is quite boom and bust, so I ended up starting when I had more time, but that I learned (gradually) to keep up with my healthy habits even when it got crazy was a huge change in my outlook and what I was willing to put first.

OK, putting your health first (or higher up on the priority list) - I'll agree that's probably a huge lifestyle change...even if we both agree we don't like that term!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

It's all very depressing when I think about it, lol.

So you are already thinking of become a statistic?

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.
    If by "hold it to truth about the future" you mean that I assume I will fail, you're very wrong. I'm really not sure if that's what you meant or not.

I think it's foolish to not take a good, hard look at those stats and consider the possibility of failure.

Refusing to acknowledge the possibility that it could happen when the odds are that it will happen...that's just not very smart, IMO. Most people say they won't be gaining it back and then they do. I don't want to be one of those people.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

But there is no way to know who will and who won't. If we knew that, this thread wouldn't have to exist, lol.

That is where your mindset and my mindset are different. I don't care how many people fail at maintenance. There is no need to think about the negative because I won't let that happen.
    That's what the 8/10 who gain it back said, too.
    You don't have a long term plan. I do for sure.
    You're wrong about me and my plans.
    Statistics says this so it must be true. How do you know this anyways? You psychic?
    if you assume all the stats are lies, then there is no reason to give them any thought, lol. I don't think they're lying.

Even in my own life, the only people I have known that lost a lot of weight gained it back. I have no reason to assume the people making up the stats are lying.

I wish you luck with your plans and hope it all works out the way you're sure it will.

Hear is the thing. You keep bring up stats. The stats can be 99 out of 100 fail. The stats don't matter to me at all because I am not them.

Also if we go by statistics I would have the most health relate issues in my family for having the most excess fat. I don't even understand how some of my cousins have high blood pressure. I never had high blood pressure. I have been at 120/80 for years and even at my high end of 257 I was still 120/80. Stats show black men are more prone to high blood pressure right? It is happening in my family but not to me. Weird right?

The BP thing isn't weird. You're still young. Having BP issues when you're young is the weird thing, black or not. Some people have problems when they did everything right, but cardiovascular issues are almost always after decades of eating a bunch of junk, most of it laden with sodium. Cardiovascular issues in people your age aren't really common at all.

It's in the mid to late 50s and 60s that all that stuff catches up with people - the smoking, drinking, poor diets, that kind of stuff. Hospital beds aren't full of people in their twenties, thirties and forties.

I really hope your plan works out for you. I hope the best for everyone. I hope everyone in this thread keeps their weight off.

Let me clarify the cousins I am talking about with high blood pressure at 30, 28, 21. That is only the ones that have spoke up. I'm sure there are some other health issues going on in the family. All pretty young. All men.

I get that. But that's the odd thing. Most people that age don't have those issues, black, white, whatever. It's odd to have those kind of problems at that age.

I think you would be surprised at the number of young people with issues like that...

My husband for one..HBP...at 23...he didn't have an uncle that survived past 30...except the alcoholic...dropped dead of heart attacks...all of them...he controls it without meds atm...but he is only 33...healthy, exercises...eats what I do..etc.

My family issues with high cholesterol which is totally genetic....only way to control it is living a healthy lifestyle or drugs.
    I'm not surprised to hear that some people have problems when they're young. I never said it can't happen. But young people with cardiovascular issues - or any serious health issues - are the minority.

Even if every poster on this board pops in to say they've had high BP since they were six years old, it'll still be a rare thing.

So with someone who has medical history like that in their family then why would they not have health be a priority. I agree with once I hit my goal I will never be fat again. I will be overweight by BMI trash standards.

Are you asking why people don't make their health a priority? There are as many reasons as there are people. They don't believe the doctors. They are in denial. They don't want to bother eating right because the food sucks. They don't really care. They think it bad stuff won't happen to them, only to other people. Etc, etc. The list goes on forever.

My understanding is that the MOST common motivator for weightloss is getting an actual medical problem or warning from a doctor related to negative effects weightloss is having. So I don't think it makes sense to conflate "they don't believe the doctors" and thinking "bad stuff won't happen to them." It's quite different to be told you DO have high cholesterol or blood pressure or pre-diabetes or whatever vs. the theoretical understanding that being fat is a risk factor.

I mean SHOULD we all avoid risk factors? Sure, but that people put it off when it doesn't seem urgent is hardly surprising. Time flies, and there's always something else to focus on too.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what a flaky study says.

People do great things all the time

Have some faith In yourself.

This.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It prob is true. That's why the diet fad biz is so big. How many on MFP have lost weight only ONCE and kept it off forever? Even if it is true, it doesn't mean you can't be successful today.
    I've lost weight once and kept it off since then.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I'm totally on board with not getting all into what you call it. People who say they're "on a diet" aren't different than people who say they are "eating at a deficit." They just use a more common phrase. I say, "I'm dieting" a lot. I bumped into a neighbor at the grocery store and he encouraged me to try the free sample I'd missed. I said, "No, no thanks, really. I'm dieting," and he asked the lady if he could have mine. I can't even imagine saying, "No, no thanks, really. I'm eating at a deficit," lol. People get way too hung up on diction. But, if it helps them lose weight, ours is not to judge, I guess.

I cannot tell you how much this has changed my life. My whole life. I now bring a cooler to the grocery store because I have all that frozen stuff. New Tupperware to store things sits in the same place I used to keep my ice cream containers. New shelf in the kitchen because all the cookbooks with healthy food recipes needed a place to go. I have a freezer I didn't have before because I make my own food and freeze it. If I go out for the day, I bring my own food because I'm not eating fast food or restaurant food...and the bag i carry it in sits where potato chips once sat. I had to buy new glasses because I drink ice water and the old ones got sweaty.

I met a neighbor on the next street while I was out walking all the time who is now a friend, but I dropped an old friend who liked to make fun of my weighing and kept insisting I should eat out with her, one donut would to kill me, etc. Buh-bye.

New hooky thing in the bathroom, so I can hang two suits to dry. New shoe rack because I have more shoes - walking/running shoes and cute ones that I can wear now that I've lost weight. Hell, I even park my car on the other side of the garage because I want my roller and stuff by the door when I get back and want extra room.

My hair is shorter because with all the swimming, the ends get fried faster, so I keep it cut short.

I could go on and on. I have stopped and thought about how my whole life is different so many, many times!

Absolutely, positively lifestyle changes. Almost everything is new.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I think it happens when people do unsustainable things to lose weight and/or don't have a good understanding of how to behave on a permanent basis for maintenance.
    They say that people who lose on crash diets have the same success rate for maintaining as those who don't. How you lose the weight is no indication of success when it comes to keeping it off.

Everyone is part of the statistics, even hoes who keep it off. Those 2/10 who keep it off are in those stats.

If the stats are right, 8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back will, in fact, gain it back. It only makes sense to consider it.

n=1 will succeed. I don't really care who gives up because I know I won't. Statistics are facts about the past and you keep holding it to truth about the future.

8/10 people in this thread who say they won't gain it back are going to gain it back. I wish I knew how to be one of the two who won't.

This simply isn't true. The vast majority of MFP members that frequent the forums are much more knowledgeable about weight loss than the average joe taking phentramine on their doc's recommendation. That 8/10 number does not apply here.

Well, I'm only n=1, but I gained it all back. I started MFP in Aug. 2012 and started in the forums right away. Within a week or so, I found IPOARM and never looked back. I averaged 1700 cals a day, and didn't eliminate foods I loved. I exercised 5 to 6
    days a week, and had even started running.

I lost 54 pounds, and gave away all my larger clothes because I was never going back. I'm now back where I started. I understand the science. I know what to do.

MFP is large enough that it would interesting to design some type of study based on its members. I do agree that knowledge increases your chances of succeeding. But there are other things at play. I can't be the only one.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My aunt lost weight after 50 and kept it off until her death at 89. My mom lost weight over 25 years ago and is still trim at 83. They lost weight for health reasons, the dreaded diabetes diagnosis. When a warning shot was fired over my bow by the 3D's, I began my weight loss journey. In my family we see what happens to those who don't heed the warning, 2 of the cousins were dead in 10 years. I come from a family of strong women who can beat the odds, I plan on carrying on the legacy of choosing life.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

This simply isn't true. The vast majority of MFP members that frequent the forums are much more knowledgeable about weight loss than the average joe taking phentramine on their doc's recommendation. That 8/10 number does not apply here.

Well, I'm only n=1, but I gained it all back. I started MFP in Aug. 2012 and started in the forums right away. Within a week or so, I found IPOARM and never looked back. I averaged 1700 cals a day, and didn't eliminate foods I loved. I exercised 5 to 6

I lost 54 pounds, and gave away all my larger clothes because I was never going back. I'm now back where I started. I understand the science. I know what to do.

MFP is large enough that it would interesting to design some type of study based on its members. I do agree that knowledge increases your chances of succeeding. But there are other things at play. I can't be the only one.

Question is why are you back where you started?

Falling back into previous habits? How did that happen?

I ask these questions as I do know that people are here again and again and I always ask the question....why?

You have all the tools here to maintain the weight loss? why didn't you?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Question is why are you back where you started?

Falling back into previous habits? How did that happen?

I ask these questions as I do know that people are here again and again and I always ask the question....why?

You have all the tools here to maintain the weight loss? why didn't you?

It's a good question. Obviously I fell back into bad habits. It was a combination of life events.

My point is not that this is is inevitable. I was responding to someone who said they didn't believe it would really happen to those active in these forums. I would agree that success is likelier for many in here, but it can happen. So I agree that a plan and due diligence is critical.

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > 2 in a 1000...

If this is true, the answer is simple. Just be one of the 2.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm a little dubious on the statistics that are being thrown around, i.e. whether the number who maintain is 0.1%, 2%, or 20%. But in any case it's clear that the recidivism rate is high.

Isn't it better to know this in any case? Isn't it good to know that the odds are bad, and that your best bet is to gird your loins and do whatever you must to be successful? Equip yourself with your weapons, know thine enemy, train well, and be prepared for battle.

Myself? I know that "Fat Jruzer" is always there, biding his time, waiting for an opportunity. I have met the enemy, and he is me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm a little dubious on the statistics that are being thrown around, i.e. whether the number who maintain is 0.1%, 2%, or 20%. But in any case it's clear that the recidivism rate is high.

Isn't it better to know this in any case?
    That other people fail literally makes no difference to me and my success.