Hitting Macros and Still Have Room for High Carb Treats?

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I started using MFP a few months back to track micros due to a medical issue and started reading some of the community posts. I was surprised reading how many people who were trying to lose weight would have calories left over for non-nutritionally dense foods (ice cream, cookies, cake, etc) on a regular basis and still meet calorie and maco goals.

Then I saw a post asking how much protein people were eating. Many of the responses seemed low to me. I Googled and found this article on the macro goals default in MFP

MyFitnessPal’s Current Default Goals
MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.
To help you visualize some modest modifications, here’s a table summarizing a couple of options for safely cutting back on calories from carbohydrates and fat while increasing protein intake to optimize the diet for weight loss:
Recommended Ranges
(Percent of Calories) Lower Carb
Higher Protein
(Percent of Calories) Lower Carb & Fat
Higher Protein
(Percent of Calories)
Carbohydrates 45-65% 45% 45%
Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

For those primarily interested in cutting calories from carbohydrates, a 1,200-calorie diet with 45% of calories from carbohydrates would provide 135 grams of carbohydrates, thus meeting the RDA of 130 grams. Go below that and it becomes incredibly difficult to hit your daily fiber goal (which also helps with satiety) and you may feel more sluggish during workouts. Hypothetically speaking, a 1,300-calorie diet with as few as 40% calories from carbohydrates (below the recommended minimum) would still meet the RDA for carbohydrates.
If you’re currently using MyFitnessPal’s default goals and want to trade some carb calories for protein, the 45:25 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio may be a good place to start.

Don’t forget about quality, too.
While there’s no one magic ratio for everyone, you may find that making some modest adjustments to macronutrient intake can help your long-term weight loss efforts. Feel free to experiment but remember: The quality of the protein, fat and carbs you eat are just as important as the quantity.

Here are a few things to keep in mind as you adjust your macros:
1. When it comes to carbohydrates, the more complex the better. Complex carbohydrates like vegetables and whole grains, contain fiber which has a beneficial impact both on satiety and blood sugar. Put those on your plate instead of highly refined or simple carbohydrates and sugary treats. This Nutrition 101: Carbohydrates post offers some healthy carb options.
2. Lean protein offers muscle-sparing benefits with very few calories from fat. Check out this great Nutrition 101: Protein post for some great plant-based protein sources as well as some lean cuts of meat, poultry and fish to stock up on.
3. Fats have many benefits ranging from satiety to brain health–especially those rich in omega-3s. Skim over our Nutrition 101: Fats post if you’re looking for some heart-healthy options.

Full article:
https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

I wonder how many people trying to lose weight would still have calories available for treats if they adjusted the macos to what is mentioned as more favorable for weight loss and lean tissue maintenance? I also wonder how much of a weight loss and health improvement people would see?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I started using MFP a few months back to track micros due to a medical issue and started reading some of the community posts. I was surprised reading how many people who were trying to lose weight would have calories left over for non-nutritionally dense foods (ice cream, cookies, cake, etc) on a regular basis and still meet calorie and maco goals.

Then I saw a post asking how much protein people were eating. Many of the responses seemed low to me. I Google and found this article on the macro goals default in MFP

MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.
    To help you visualize some modest modifications, here’s a table summarizing a couple of options for safely cutting back on calories from carbohydrates and fat while increasing protein intake to optimize the diet for weight loss:
    Recommended Ranges
    Higher Protein
    Higher Protein
    (Percent of Calories)
    Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

For those primarily interested in cutting calories from carbohydrates, a 1,200-calorie diet with 45% of calories from carbohydrates would provide 135 grams of carbohydrates, thus meeting the RDA of 130 grams. Go below that and it becomes incredibly difficult to hit your daily fiber goal (which also helps with satiety) and you may feel more sluggish during workouts. Hypothetically speaking, a 1,300-calorie diet with as few as 40% calories from carbohydrates (below the recommended minimum) would still meet the RDA for carbohydrates.
    If you’re currently using MyFitnessPal’s default goals and want to trade some carb calories for protein, the 45:25 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio may be a good place to start.

While there’s no one magic ratio for everyone, you may find that making some modest adjustments to macronutrient intake can help your long-term weight loss efforts. Feel free to experiment but remember: The quality of the protein, fat and carbs you eat are just as important as the quantity.

1. When it comes to carbohydrates, the more complex the better. Complex carbohydrates like vegetables and whole grains, contain fiber which has a beneficial impact both on satiety and blood sugar. Put those on your plate instead of highly refined or simple carbohydrates and sugary treats. This Nutrition 101: Carbohydrates post offers some healthy carb options.
    2. Lean protein offers muscle-sparing benefits with very few calories from fat. Check out this great Nutrition 101: Protein post for some great plant-based protein sources as well as some lean cuts of meat, poultry and fish to stock up on.
    3. Fats have many benefits ranging from satiety to brain health–especially those rich in omega-3s. Skim over our Nutrition 101: Fats post if you’re looking for some heart-healthy options.

Full article:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

I wonder how many people trying to lose weight would still have calories available for treats if they adjusted the macos to what is mentioned as more favorable for weight loss and lean tissue maintenance? I also wonder how much of a weight loss and health improvement people would see?

Why do you assume everyone is on only a 1200-1300 calorie diet?

I agree at that level it's probably hard to fit in much ice cream/cookies, etc. But most people have a much higher calorie allowance than that.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Then I saw a post asking how much protein people were eating. Many of the responses seemed low to me. I Google and found this article on the macro goals default in MFP

Recommended Ranges
    Higher Protein
    Higher Protein
    (Percent of Calories)
    Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Full article:

I agree at that level it's probably hard to fit in much ice cream/cookies, etc. But most people have a much higher calorie allowance than that.

I never did, the 1200-1300 calorie diet comment was from the article.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Recommended Ranges
    Higher Protein
    Higher Protein
    (Percent of Calories)
    Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Full article:

I never did, the 1200-1300 calorie diet comment was from the article.

Fair enough - apologies for attributing it to you...but the question still stands.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Then I saw a post asking how much protein people were eating. Many of the responses seemed low to me.

Really? I think people on MFP (at least those active in the forums) are likely to eat far more protein than the average American, and often either the amount recommended for maintaining muscle while on a deficit and working out (about .8-1 g/LBM) or even much more (like the unnecessary 1 g/lb of bodyweight) or to do a macro breakdown that will often approximate this (like 40-30-30, as 30% protein will give me well over what I actually need).

Yup. My sense from reading the boards, though, is that those into posting about flexible dieting tend to eat fewer carbs and more protein than the default on average, though. Like I said, I do 40-30-30 and have no issues fitting in some ice cream or cheese.
    Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Personally, I find this not very compelling, as I've not seen any evidence that being under 45% carbs (or over 65%, for example the 80% common to Kenyan marathoners, although I suspect that's not the most ideal ratio for most trying to lose weight) or being over 35% fat has negative consequences. (Like I said, I do 40% carbs, and do not believe I need to raise my carbs to be healthier or more energetic, and I do lots of cardio.) As for the protein range, it's specifically based on the other ranges, and nothing more, so I again see no reason why one should cap protein at 35% (although mine is lower than that as over 35% would give me a silly number of grams at my current calorie level).
    For those primarily interested in cutting calories from carbohydrates, a 1,200-calorie diet with 45% of calories from carbohydrates would provide 135 grams of carbohydrates, thus meeting the RDA of 130 grams.

Ah, ha! Here's one issue--you assume we are at 1200 calories, but that's hardly the ideal amount to lose on for everyone.
    Go below that and it becomes incredibly difficult to hit your daily fiber goal (which also helps with satiety) and you may feel more sluggish during workouts.

This isn't true, IME--I did under 100 grams for a while (largely vegetables) and probably was low on fiber somewhat but did not experience any negatives from that (and I think eating lots of veg would tend to be helpful, even if they have less fiber than some starches). I also felt perfectly energetic, although I did find that I liked having more carbs when increasing exercise. I was exercising at 100 grams, though, and didn't have a problem.

In any case, adding more carbs obviously makes it easier to fit in lots of treats that are popular, not harder.
    The quality of the protein, fat and carbs you eat are just as important as the quantity.

Agree. I'm just not sure why you would assume that eating some "treats" (however that's defined) would mean that the overall quality of the foods you ate aren't high. As always, the recommendation is to eat a mostly nutrient dense diet and to make sure you meet nutrition goals and then to use excess calories as you most enjoy.
    1. When it comes to carbohydrates, the more complex the better.

False. Fruit is a simple carb, and while I like my starches I see no reason why they are inherently better than fruit. I'd take berries over brown rice any day, although admittedly part of that is personal preference. Chips, also, are technically complex carbs.
    2. Lean protein offers muscle-sparing benefits with very few calories from fat.

This assumes that "very few calories from fat" is what we should be after. Personally, I eat lots of lean protein, but I also like to have a variety of protein sources, and that that might mean chicken with the skin sometimes, or pulled pork or ribeye, well, makes me happy and I simply don't agree that it makes my diet non nutritious overall, sorry.
    3. Fats have many benefits ranging from satiety to brain health–especially those rich in omega-3s.

Yup.
    I wonder how many people trying to lose weight would still have calories available for treats if they adjusted the macos to what is mentioned as more favorable for weight loss and lean tissue maintenance?

Given the people in question, I think just as many.
    I also wonder how much of a weight loss and health improvement people would see?

Probably none. Specifically, the only change for me would be increasing my carbs a little (and I guess decreasing either my protein or fat), and I'm willing to bet that I'd have NO improvement in weight loss at the same calories and would find it even easier to fit in certain kinds of treats.

You seem to make lots of assumptions.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Then I saw a post asking how much protein people were eating. Many of the responses seemed low to me.

Really? I think people on MFP (at least those active in the forums) are likely to eat far more protein than the average American, and often either the amount recommended for maintaining muscle while on a deficit and working out (about .8-1 g/LBM) or even much more (like the unnecessary 1 g/lb of bodyweight) or to do a macro breakdown that will often approximate this (like 40-30-30, as 30% protein will give me well over what I actually need).

Yup. My sense from reading the boards, though, is that those into posting about flexible dieting tend to eat fewer carbs and more protein than the default on average, though. Like I said, I do 40-30-30 and have no issues fitting in some ice cream or cheese.
    Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Personally, I find this not very compelling, as I've not seen any evidence that being under 45% carbs (or over 65%, for example the 80% common to Kenyan marathoners, although I suspect that's not the most ideal ratio for most trying to lose weight) or being over 35% fat has negative consequences. (Like I said, I do 40% carbs, and do not believe I need to raise my carbs to be healthier or more energetic, and I do lots of cardio.) As for the protein range, it's specifically based on the other ranges, and nothing more, so I again see no reason why one should cap protein at 35% (although mine is lower than that as over 35% would give me a silly number of grams at my current calorie level).
    For those primarily interested in cutting calories from carbohydrates, a 1,200-calorie diet with 45% of calories from carbohydrates would provide 135 grams of carbohydrates, thus meeting the RDA of 130 grams.

Ah, ha! Here's one issue--you assume we are at 1200 calories, but that's hardly the ideal amount to lose on for everyone.
    Go below that and it becomes incredibly difficult to hit your daily fiber goal (which also helps with satiety) and you may feel more sluggish during workouts.

This isn't true, IME--I did under 100 grams for a while (largely vegetables) and probably was low on fiber somewhat but did not experience any negatives from that (and I think eating lots of veg would tend to be helpful, even if they have less fiber than some starches). I also felt perfectly energetic, although I did find that I liked having more carbs when increasing exercise. I was exercising at 100 grams, though, and didn't have a problem.

In any case, adding more carbs obviously makes it easier to fit in lots of treats that are popular, not harder.
    The quality of the protein, fat and carbs you eat are just as important as the quantity.

Agree. I'm just not sure why you would assume that eating some "treats" (however that's defined) would mean that the overall quality of the foods you ate aren't high. As always, the recommendation is to eat a mostly nutrient dense diet and to make sure you meet nutrition goals and then to use excess calories as you most enjoy.

False. Fruit is a simple carb, and while I like my starches I see no reason why they are inherently better than fruit. I'd take berries over brown rice any day, although admittedly part of that is personal preference. Chips, also, are technically complex carbs.

This assumes that "very few calories from fat" is what we should be after. Personally, I eat lots of lean protein, but I also like to have a variety of protein sources, and that that might mean chicken with the skin sometimes, or pulled pork or ribeye, well, makes me happy and I simply don't agree that it makes my diet non nutritious overall, sorry.
    3. Fats have many benefits ranging from satiety to brain health–especially those rich in omega-3s.

Yup.
    I wonder how many people trying to lose weight would still have calories available for treats if they adjusted the macos to what is mentioned as more favorable for weight loss and lean tissue maintenance?

I also wonder how much of a weight loss and health improvement people would see?

Probably none. Specifically, the only change for me would be increasing my carbs a little (and I guess decreasing either my protein or fat), and I'm willing to bet that I'd have NO improvement in weight loss at the same calories and would find it even easier to fit in certain kinds of treats.

I asked a few questions. The "assumptions" you mentioned are from the article by MFP's registered dietitian.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Yup.

I asked a few questions. The "assumptions" you mentioned are from the article by MFP's registered dietitian.

The questions and your view that the article would be helpful incorporate the assumptions I mentioned.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Darn I thought this would be about high carb treats. Where's that cake thread?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ...I thought this would be about high carb treats....

lol. me too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You lost me at protein.

Short of bodybuilding forums (I assume they exist but have not seen them), there is no group of people on the planet eating more protein than the MFP crowd. Most people are going for the maximum amount that could possibly do anyone any good. Some are going for more than could possibly do anybody any good. Most eat much, much more than they actually need.

Then you have the No-Carb people who don't even want to be in the same room with a piece of bread. You know they're eating lots of protein and fat (unless they're eating carbs and don't know it.)

I'm not sure how many track micros before they swallow their candy and ice cream, so I don't know if they really have room after meeting nutritional needs or not.

But this is one protein-loving, macro-watching group. If nothing else, MFP excels at eating protein.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Darn I thought this would be about high carb treats. Where's that cake thread?

Me too .....leaving very disappointed :(
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2300 cals a day
    I hit a minimum of 100-120g protein per day
    I have plenty left over thanks

(I did when I was losing weight at 1500 and at 1800 too)
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Yup.

The questions and your view that the article would be helpful incorporate the assumptions I mentioned.

This is the original thread I saw polling people about protein intake. Many in the 1g/.8-1.0 lb but many way less which prompted my question as to how people on lower calorie diets can hit macros and still get low nutrition dense treats in.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10220056/protein-how-many-grams-a-day-to-you-eat/p1
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You lost me at protein.

Short of bodybuilding forums (I assume they exist but have not seen them), there is no group of people on the planet eating more protein than the MFP crowd. Most people are going for the maximum amount that could possibly do anyone any good. Some are going for more than could possibly do anybody any good. Most eat much, much more than they actually need.

Then you have the No-Carb people who don't even want to be in the same room with a piece of bread. You know they're eating lots of protein and fat (unless they're eating carbs and don't know it.)

I'm not sure how many track micros before they swallow their candy and ice cream, so I don't know if they really have room after meeting nutritional needs or not.

But this is one protein-loving, macro-watching group. If nothing else, MFP excels at eating protein.

^^this!

I don't even actively TRY to eat protein but because I desperately try to avoid (at least white) carbs, because they don't fill me up, I almost always at least reach my protein goal for the day-if not go over. Whereas, my normal diet (high in sugar and white carbs) is lower in protein.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Yup.

This is the original thread I saw polling people about protein intake. Many in the 1g/.8-1.0 lb but many way less which prompted my question as to how people on lower calorie diets can hit macros and still get low nutrition dense treats in.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10220056/protein-how-many-grams-a-day-to-you-eat/p1

Even on lower calories it's not that hard. If you choose the leanest sources of protein available and eat lots of vegetables-at the end of the day you'll have plenty of carbs and fats left over for treats. It's all relative.

IMO-eating at a deficit makes it inherently more difficult to hit all of your micro needs-especially because of the higher protein recommendations.

Everyone seems to forget, though, that the deficit is not for life. Of course you should try to eat a nutrient-dense diet, and it is much easier to do so when you are eating more food. When losing weight you do the best you can to maintain muscle and stay healthy.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Protein 10-35% 25% 30%
    Fat 20-35% 30% 25%

Yup.

Even on lower calories it's not that hard. If you choose the leanest sources of protein available and eat lots of vegetables-at the end of the day you'll have plenty of carbs and fats left over for treats. It's all relative.

This is true. I did that when I first started and was doing 1250, and I routinely had plenty of calories left over too. I ended up having to force myself to lighten up and use more cheese and olive oil, and was way low on carbs compared to the MFP guidelines. It would have been easy enough to add in some ice cream, although I mostly didn't start doing that until I had some exercise calories.

Most of the people here who talk about fitting in treats, too, are people who AREN'T on super low calories and probably in many cases ones who get more protein than MFP recommends (MFP's recommendations don't actually tend to be that high). I recall another thread where it seemed like the majority of the flexible diet/IIFYM people were doing 40-30-30 or even 30-35-35 or such things.

So OP, I'd suggest maybe asking more specifically of people who mention fitting in treats if they are low on protein if you are concerned about that. (My diary is open, although my logging has been kind of spotty lately.)