PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

Options
I HAVE 70G A DAY. I PROTEIN BREAKFAST SHAKE IS A MUST FIRST THING AND THEN MEAT WITH DINNER AND SUPPER AND IF I HAVE ANY PROTEIN OVER, I MAKE IT UP WITH PROEIN SHAKE.
I AM ON A LOW CARB DIET TO SEE IF IT WORKS..

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    190g. Anyway I can get it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    100-130g.
    Depends really, but definitely over 100g a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My goal is over 105 grams, but I usually end up with around 130 without really trying. I might add some protein powder to my oatmeal if I have oatmeal or have a Quest bar as a snack, but I generally try to get at least my 105 without supplements. (I think if I were doing low carb the bigger difficulty would be keeping the protein down.)
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I HAVE 70G A DAY. I PROTEIN BREAKFAST SHAKE IS A MUST FIRST THING AND THEN MEAT WITH DINNER AND SUPPER AND IF I HAVE ANY PROTEIN OVER, I MAKE IT UP WITH PROEIN SHAKE.
    I AM ON A LOW CARB DIET TO SEE IF IT WORKS..

9s5aj8c.gif

myself-160gms day

*We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target.

For example, say someone is 150 lbs with a BF% of 20% on a 2,000 calorie target. Note, a 20% body fat means that someone has a 80% lean body mass (LBM) as LBM is everything except fat (muscle, water, organs, tissue, etc). Their macros in grams would be:

Protein: 1 x 150 x 0.8 (LBM) = 120g x 4 calories = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 150 = 53.5g x 9 calories = 473 calories divided by 2,000 = 24% - round up to 25%
    Carbs: balance of 50%
    Remember, protein and fats are minimums and so do not worry about going over on these, carbs would be the variable in this case and you would be under on that macro in order to meet your calorie target.

To change the MFP settings go to My Home -> Goals-> Change Goals-> click Customize and update the macros.

Source-http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

• longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    sorry for shouting, caps lock. Mistake. =)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am usually over 70g and sometimes up to 80g. Macro of about 20%. I am relatively sedentary (walking 4-5hours per week) and am eating at a deficit (between 1300 and 1600kcal) to lose weight.

I also eat LC but my protein intake is about the same as most people, but lower than the more active folks. It is usually fat amounts that change when someone's switches to LC.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually get around 70g-90g a day (usually lower end of that range), but I'm trying to work on increasing it a little.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    About 1g per pound of body weight. So about 150-160g per day for me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    90 grams. I don't always hit it.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I shoot for at least 100 grams...but lately have been falling way short of that. Working on it.
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Male, age 54, weight 200lbs Eat 110g or 30 % of intake, protein a day, main sport Bicycling
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    120g+
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    160+
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    trouble with the internet it gives out so any different answers. I read it was 1g per kg... so i weigh 185lb so that means i have to eat 185g of protein? I am all new to this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    About 130 grams, when I'm not slacking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As long as I get over 100g I'm happy
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    articles i read continually have me beleiving that 1g per body weight goal makes sense, so i do 190g currently and feel good about it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    About 80-110. I really try, i do. But somedays i'm just not in the mood to smash in the protein calories and prefer to eat whatever the heck i want.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    articles i read continually have me beleiving that 1g per body weight goal makes sense, so i do 190g currently and feel good about it.

0.8-1 g per pound of lean body mass.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My goal is around 125, I usually am between 100 and 150g/day.