PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    " I read it was 1g per kg... so i weigh 185lb so that means i have to eat 185g of protein? "

Are you mixing up kg and pounds there?

I try to get about 100g per day, but I don't stress too much if I don't get there. Eggs for breakfast, fishy salad for lunch, nuts and cheese for snacks, and chicken for dinner. Cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt for an extra boost.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. =) I understand it now.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I gather it's 1g per pound if you're losing weight or bodybuilding, and 1g per kilo if you're maintaining.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My goal is 110gr but I usually get around 120.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I get over 110g most times, I think. *goes to double check*
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If I hit 40, it's a very good day. I go round and round with protein. In try to increase it, but quickly get so sick of having to eat protein foods that I give up.

I'm at 20 so far today and the idea of more...it's such a chore.

I got sodium under control and that was ridiculously challenging. Failure and more failure! But I did it.

Protein...I just can't seem to eat all that stuff. I'm like the Queen of carbs.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    200 , up to +60 or minus 20
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Protein is the ONE macro I can't seem to get right. I tend to get between 40-60g a day, and I'm really trying to work in extra protein (I tried a protein powder but I couldn't stomach even 1tbs in a smoothie, and at that low amount it wasn't even worth it). My carbs are usually fine and my sugar is usually a little over. Fibre is usually over as well. But protein is really hard for some reason! Today I'm well over my calorie goal & I just got to 60g of protein. MFP recommends around 60-90g/day depending on my activity level. :neutral:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I easily get 90g, I'm aiming to increase to 100. Since I follow a plant based eating habit, I tend to eat a lot of setan/chickpea baked goods
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    170g every day.
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    0.8g should be the minimum (multiplied by your weight). This minimum is to ensure that while you losing weight, you are not losing muscle mass.
    0.8g is currently what I do. I will increase to 1g when I'm on my maintenance/goal weight.
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly hitting 200+
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    200g/ day. Lbm 195 + heavy lifting needs good protein
  • sandbuiltdreams
    sandbuiltdreams Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my goal is 450g... but that is tough to get sometimes
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I shoot for a bare minimum of 100g, and actually usually exceed it. I end in the 120-140g range most days.
  • ivarunsoncoffee
    ivarunsoncoffee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually get around 80 grams.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    my goal is 450g... but that is tough to get sometimes

Why so high?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't log so I don't know exactly...using prior logging I would estimate anywhere from 115 - 145 grams per day depending on the day. I tend to get more on lifting days because I use supplements. I stopped using supplements on non-lifting days...I haven't withered away yet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't have a protein goal, but when I track it's all over the place. 51g one day, 100+ the next. I think the average would be about 65-70. But this is the way I've always eaten and I have plenty of muscle and strength.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My macros are adjusted by a bit each week, but at the moment I am at 125g of protein each day.