PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    0.8g should be the minimum (multiplied by your weight). This minimum is to ensure that while you losing weight, you are not losing muscle mass.
    0.8g is currently what I do. I will increase to 1g when I'm on my maintenance/goal weight.

0.8g x my weight? I get about half that. Where did that minimum come from? Is it a medical thing?
  • sandbuiltdreams
    sandbuiltdreams Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my goal is 450g... but that is tough to get sometimes

Why so high?

I have a lot of muscle mass, so my baseline needs are higher. The other is protein digestion burns more calories than carbs or fat. I'm trying to stay under 100g of carbs on rest days and a 180g on training days.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I HAVE 70G A DAY. I PROTEIN BREAKFAST SHAKE IS A MUST FIRST THING AND THEN MEAT WITH DINNER AND SUPPER AND IF I HAVE ANY PROTEIN OVER, I MAKE IT UP WITH PROEIN SHAKE.
    I AM ON A LOW CARB DIET TO SEE IF IT WORKS..

I EAT ALL THE PROTEIN!!!!

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!
  • mclark1961
    mclark1961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    trouble with the internet it gives out so any different answers. I read it was 1g per kg... so i weigh 185lb so that means i have to eat 185g of protein? I am all new to this.

• paigearoo96
    paigearoo96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    148 every day
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my goal is 450g... but that is tough to get sometimes

Why so high?

I have a lot of muscle mass, so my baseline needs are higher. The other is protein digestion burns more calories than carbs or fat. I'm trying to stay under 100g of carbs on rest days and a 180g on training days.

Just curious. My understanding is the benefits max out at about .8-1 gram of protein/lb of LBM, and I'm assuming that you don't have LBM of 450 lbs. But whatever works for you. I'd be concerned that much might be pushing into too much for the body to deal with and thus be possibly bad for you. However, I know in bodybuilding circles 2x bodyweight and the like are done.
  • mclark1961
    mclark1961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1 kg is about 2 pounds, so your 185 pound would be around 93 kg. That would mean 93 grams of protein a day.
  • bertobelle77
    bertobelle77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know I need to eat more protein to help with weight loss without losing muscle. I am aiming for about 70g of protein a day I know a lot of people would suggest more but studies show a high protein diet may be linked to dementia so I don't want to go too high. 70g is about 25% for me.
  • krazzyivan
    krazzyivan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    250-300 grams a day at 2800 cals
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    0.8g should be the minimum (multiplied by your weight). This minimum is to ensure that while you losing weight, you are not losing muscle mass.
    0.8g is currently what I do. I will increase to 1g when I'm on my maintenance/goal weight.

0.8g x my weight? I get about half that. Where did that minimum come from? Is it a medical thing?

The recommended is .8g - 1.6g (strength training &/or endurance) per weight in kg (wt/2.2). So you're probably pretty close to the min requirement. If you are weight training you may want to increase it to 1g - 1.2g per kg.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i always hit over the 100g mark now - today im in 120s
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »

The recommended is .8g - 1.6g (strength training &/or endurance) per weight in kg (wt/2.2). So you're probably pretty close to the min requirement. If you are weight training you may want to increase it to 1g - 1.2g per kg.

Thanks! Where does that recommendation come from? Is the only issue muscle mass?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    60-90 grams per day. I weigh about 64 kg.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Thanks! Where does that recommendation come from? Is the only issue muscle mass?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf
    usda.gov wrote:
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
    for both men and women is 0.80 g of good quality protein/kg
    body weight/d and is based on careful analyses of available nitrogen
    balance studies.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To answer the question, I am aiming for 1g/kg, which right now is 202/2.2=91g, So far, my weekly averages have fallen between 80 and 100g per day, I added a single scoop (24g) of protein into my diet post weight lifting to make sure I get enough. More for convenience though, as I do love chicken, I just don't want to cook it at 9pm at night.

EDIT: to add, part of the reason I'm aiming for 91g now, is I plan on getting down to ~175, but maintaining this much protein, which would push me towards 1.15g/kg. I may even up it further once I start trying to put on muscle as I'll have more calories to eat, but right now, my protein intake seems to be working for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

usda.gov wrote:
    balance studies.

Great, thanks!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

usda.gov wrote:
    balance studies.

Really??????? Not questioning the validity of the USDA quote above, but for me that would only be 52g/day needed (weight 144 lbs / 65 kg, * 0.8). It just seems so low! I'd be ravenous LOL
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to get 400g in approx.. just over 1.5g per 1lb of bodyweight
  • dougclarke
    dougclarke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I typically land between 200 & 220 grames daily from food (no protein shakes or supplements).
  • WandaReed1
    WandaReed1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    70g protein, minimum. I drink bodylogix natural whey protein drink before bed nearly every night. I really like it. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and a few ice cubes in the bullet. I love meat and fish, and that is my main food for lunch, so its fairly easy to eat mostly protein. I try to keep carbs under 50. I'm 5'3" 130 pounds, 55 years old and fairly sedentary as I'm an office worker. I go to the Y 3 times a week, usually. I feel so much better since I've lost weight.