PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

Options

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Since I weigh 130 lbs my goal is 130 g. Definitely try to go over if possible.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ puts me at 65 grams.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    0.8g should be the minimum (multiplied by your weight). This minimum is to ensure that while you losing weight, you are not losing muscle mass.
    0.8g is currently what I do. I will increase to 1g when I'm on my maintenance/goal weight.

0.8g x my weight? I get about half that. Where did that minimum come from? Is it a medical thing?

The recommended is .8g - 1.6g (strength training &/or endurance) per weight in kg (wt/2.2). So you're probably pretty close to the min requirement. If you are weight training you may want to increase it to 1g - 1.2g per kg.

Thanks! Where does that recommendation come from? Is the only issue muscle mass?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf
    usda.gov wrote:
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
    for both men and women is 0.80 g of good quality protein/kg
    body weight/d and is based on careful analyses of available nitrogen
    balance studies.

Really??????? Not questioning the validity of the USDA quote above, but for me that would only be 52g/day needed (weight 144 lbs / 65 kg, * 0.8). It just seems so low! I'd be ravenous LOL

Realize that the USDA is going for average intake. If your goal is muscle gain, then you'll want to increase your protein intake. Some studies have said you need as much as 1g/lb (or 2.2g/kg) for optimal muscle building.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

Wow, that put me at 246-340g of carbs. That's a lot of carbs! And only 59 protein.

And the thing is, if I increased by activity level the only thing that went up was carbs. Protein, fat, fiber all stayed the same. So, with more activity I should add more low fiber carbs?
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a recomp and was told by my coach to eat 1g per lb of body weight. I get in anywhere from 120-150g per day. My average last week was 138g. I can naturally eat about 100g per day, so the extra jump I have to do to get more requires a bit of work especially to stay within the calorie goals.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    About 80-110. I really try, i do. But somedays i'm just not in the mood to smash in the protein calories and prefer to eat whatever the heck i want.

This is exactly my goals, and exactly my feelings towards it. ;)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Wow, that put me at 246-340g of carbs. That's a lot of carbs! And only 59 protein.

And the thing is, if I increased by activity level the only thing that went up was carbs. Protein, fat, fiber all stayed the same. So, with more activity I should add more low fiber carbs?

There are two things going on here. 1st, they have you pinned at 0.8g/kg for protein, which only leaves fat and carbs as the variables. 2nd, a high fat is considered bad, so they give you a range from minimum to maximum. That leaves only carbs as the only real variable when it comes to daily energy needs. As for fiber, well, too much fiber can lead to bad side affects, so yeah, that leaves only low fiber carbs.

Again, USDA is calculating for average people. For most people the recommendation works. If you are trying to gain muscle you would probably want to increase protein and decrease carbs. Some people may need more/less fiber to have good digestion. etc...
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Not enough, but I'm trying. I'm following the "at least 0.4g per pound" rule. Much simpler than the whole LBM formula stuff. I've started buying tuna because that's got a very good protein to calorie ratio. FF plain Greek yogurt is also a staple.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

There are two things going on here. 1st, they have you pinned at 0.8g/kg for protein, which only leaves fat and carbs as the variables. 2nd, a high fat is considered bad, so they give you a range from minimum to maximum. That leaves only carbs as the only real variable when it comes to daily energy needs. As for fiber, well, too much fiber can lead to bad side affects, so yeah, that leaves only low fiber carbs.

Again, USDA is calculating for average people. For most people the recommendation works. If you are trying to gain muscle you would probably want to increase protein and decrease carbs. Some people may need more/less fiber to have good digestion. etc...

I'm not trying to gain muscle, but I still think the protein and fat are too low. But I also shoot for 45g of fiber per day.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I average around 100, I usually eat more during the week, and eat "less clean" on weekends.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 125g on days with running *and* CrossFit. I go for 100g on days with just running, or just CrossFit. Sometimes I totally eff up, but most of the time, hopefully, I don't.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    50% of my calories come from Protein.
    That said, I do not eat any Soy sourced protein. The human body does not assimilate soy very well at all (no matter how much the Soy marketing guys claim that it's good for you.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In the last 90 days, I've eaten between 26g and 86g of protein. My goal is 72.
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ gave me a recommendation of 56 g of protein.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For menu planning, I usually aim for 1g per pound of target weight, so 220g. But, this plan includes some protein shakes that I use as placeholders to make sure I get at least 0.5g per pound (110 grams). Because those shakes may get swapped out for something else, what I get usually ranges between 0.8 - 1.0 grams per pound.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My protein intake averages about 70 g/day. I eat 100+ on the thee days that I work out and then at least 50 on the other days.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    about 250 a day for me
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea how you guys are getting so high on protein. If I REALLY try, I just about reach 100g. Are you all drinking protein shakes or eating meat with every meal? I don't understand. >_<
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    110-160 at 133 lbs
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have 2 shakes a day but get around 200g from food....beef, chicken, seafood, mostly lower fat options
  • annac1956
    annac1956 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have close to 70 gr. or 25% of my daily macros ;)