No Alcohol August

Options

Replies

• tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Went out to dinner and drank water!! Don't worry about a slip. I had one last week and felt awful, but now I feel great.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Day 20 and still alcohol free!!! I think about it often, debating whether or not I could just have a glass but I know that's not realistic. Then I think about why I wanted to stop in the first place, don't like the way I feel when I wake, don't like the weight gain, don't the the possible adverse affect on my health and I don't like not feeling in control of my own mind and body, etc. . . So, I'm determined! They say (whoever "they" are) the cravings will be gone after 21 days, that's tomorrow but I don't believe it! I guess that means I'm still NOT ready to re-introduce alcohol into my life.
    So, as asked, more than likely there will be a "No Alcohol September"
  • ThysbeEverbloom
    ThysbeEverbloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    day 12 - no major struggles and my overall mood and well beeing is way better without alcohol

ok - but i honestly dont count that - i had a sorbet with prosecco for desert once - but since it was eating alcohol and not drinking alcohol, that doesnt count in my rulebook :-)

I am quite ashamed - but i dont miss the single glasses or moderate drinking - what i really miss is getting wasted - and i am happy that not drinking a single glass prevents me from that

Its doable - deinitely

AAAAnnnnnd - tata - due to not drinking i also managed to stay within my calorie budget every single day :-)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi all, everyone is doing such a great job! I feel 100x better today. Being down yesterday made me really want to drink again last night. Instead, I went on a run, had some Thai food and called it an early night. It was fantastic and I feel great today.

I've decided that if it's a week night, I'm just not going to drink, even if I attempt to moderate. There's no real point to it and I'd rather save the nights I do drink to a weekend where I have plenty of time to sleep in, workout, etc.

This weekend we have friends coming into town so I know I'll be drinking a little. I'm going to stay totally dry on Friday and Sunday, but we're going wine tasting on Saturday and I'll be happy to partake a bit in that.

@ThysbeEverbloom - Don't feel ashamed about that at all. Before attempting to cut back I was getting wasted 2-3 nights every week. When I first went dry in July, that's what I missed the most. Now it's shifted to missing a glass or two after a long day of work. You're doing great!
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi All. still AF. Thanks for the tip about the bookmark. I'm still losing also, which I attribute to cutting the alcohol calories and making the right food decisions, because I not drinking. Good to see everyone motoring on. I am up for an AF September as well.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Had major cravings last night but resisted and feel really accomplished today. So happy to wake up refreshed again. I am up for continuing into "Sober September"!!!
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Had major cravings last night but resisted and feel really accomplished today. So happy to wake up refreshed again. I am up for continuing into "Sober September"!!!
    Good for you! Cravings can be a beast.

• MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    tmbg
    tmbg1 wrote: »

I like it, "Sober September", and there we have it. Just have 10 days left of this month and I know we can do it. Had a little craving around dinner time last night. Could have easily talked myself into it but instead reminded myself of how far I've come and that I committed to 30 days. I WILL keep that commitment!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Day 22 here :) A little scary seeing no posts here today :o I hope everyone was able to follow through with their commitment this weekend. If not though, tomorrows another day and a new beginning.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Sitting here drinking water... Also had calories left for ice cream since I had no alcohol!!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Good going tmbg :) Do you have a favorite water? I'm finding that drinking Poland Springs Black Cherry sparkling water really takes the edge off, especially in the evening while watching the TV. I'm on day 23 today and I can honestly say I have no cravings. How's that for overcoming a 35 year habit?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking Cascade sparking water from Costco.

After 3 weeks of disappointing weekend failure I've decided I cannot "do" moderation so well. So I'm joining this thread as of today. I work hard eating well, weighing food, and not losing weight. I'm pretty sure that this is the problem.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Tonight I am drinking deer Park sparkling lemon water.. Zero calories..
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    @fiddletime Smart of you to recognize that. I'm the same way. Maybe one day I will be able to handle alcohol moderately but for now I'm off the stuff.
    24 Days alcohol free for me and to be honest, I'm perfectly happy without it. Sure, there are times when it pops into my head and I think I'd like to enjoy a glass of wine (like a glass of wine ever happened) but then I look at the progress I've made and say "no thanks" to unhealthy habits. The real test for me will be the first snowfall of the winter season, which is also the first time I'll light a fire in the fireplace. The two go hand in hand you know. Who knows, maybe by then I will be able to handle a glass but the first sign of craving it within a few nights or having far more than is called for I'll be off the stuff again.
    @tmbg1 Yay for sparkling water, I love the black cherry.
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a really rough start!! But last week was GREAT! You know the weirdest thing that I didn't expect? I thought I would have the hardest time sleeping and I haven't had ANY problem sleeping! I just... fall asleep?? Sober! It's so weird!! I didn't know I had that ability, lol! I also read about withdrawals online and pretty much convinced I was going to be sweating, shaking, puking and seizing. Of course NONE of that happened... stupid scary internet ha ha. You are all doing so great!!! I am starting a new medication soon that I cannot drink on, and so that means I will be starting Sober September!! I will start it early so people can start logging in and maybe it will be a little ear worm that gets them thinking and then they decide to do it :):)
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    Also, I just made Sober September, a little early I know but maybe it will motivate some a little early :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10240462/sober-september?new=1
  • tmbg1
    Options
    @Brooke1076 I was also afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep but I actually sleep better than I did before!
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    @tmbg1 Isnt that so weird?! The thought of having a hard time sleeping was giving me anxiety!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    @MyWhole30Journey. I stopped for 3 years about 5 years ago. I decided one glass would be fine, and here I am again. This time is it. I'll remind myself of how hard I've been working to lose the added weight, and just say "no". It's easier than planning it out and counting the drinks per week. Day 2 and it's already a weight off my mind.
    @Brook. Thanks so much for starting this and keeping it going. It was just what I needed. I hope others are hanging in there.
  • ThysbeEverbloom
    ThysbeEverbloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    still on track and its going well - great job guys