August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 @kimlight2 @twomaddogz and whoever I missed Congrats on reaching goal with days to spare :star:
    @dichotomy1976 50+ this month so far, you got nothing to defend, great job!
    @JoRocka great name for a 5K that area is beautiful it's sure to be a nice run by the way I'm in awe of how your mileage is piling up this month
    @7lenny7 thanks for the advice on my Garmin, I still can't get the stupid thing to give me miles times or beep UGH
    @9voice9 woohoo football!
    @honunui I have a knock off too
    @alexpaige I love this group too, everyone is so supportive, never a cross word and so much great advice
    @mwyvr whew I'm glad to the hear the bag is unused too.
    @ddmom8011 had to laugh out loud at your shorts falling down - nothing worse when you are trying to run
    @annaskiski you are thisclose great work!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom & @juliet3455 And you're welcome @juliet3455 My pleasure. You guys inspire me as well. Just stick with it and slowly build up mileage. That is how I started. My first challenge in November 2013 was 86.64 miles. Most of it on a treadmill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @twomaddogz :D Great Work on your Goal
    @JoRocka Thanks for all ways posting your times/mini-comments. My 5km times are like your 3m Good, Avg, "got her done"
    @ddmom0811 Running & Biking - Add swims and you be a Triathlete competitor-great work
    @Stoshew71 What you do in one run takes me a full week. Great inspiration and thanks for Hosting this Crazy >:) Group of Good People o:)
    Thanks- I think it's fun to keep track of all the details and notes!
    @stoshew71 @kimlight2 @twomaddogz and whoever I missed Congrats on reaching goal with days to spare :star:
    @dichotomy1976 50+ this month so far, you got nothing to defend, great job!
    @JoRocka great name for a 5K that area is beautiful it's sure to be a nice run by the way I'm in awe of how your mileage is piling up this month
    @7lenny7 thanks for the advice on my Garmin, I still can't get the stupid thing to give me miles times or beep UGH
    @9voice9 woohoo football!
    @honunui I have a knock off too
    @alexpaige I love this group too, everyone is so supportive, never a cross word and so much great advice
    @mwyvr whew I'm glad to the hear the bag is unused too.
    @ddmom8011 had to laugh out loud at your shorts falling down - nothing worse when you are trying to run
    @annaskiski you are thisclose great work!

Thanks really helps to have a training plan and a goal to stick with it- I'm honestly surprised I haven't really missed much of anything- I'm making it happen- and I'm super pleased!! And you to! Great job this month!!! 103- killing it!

I'm excited about the run- I find I run better on dirt paths than the concrete- surprising how much harder this morning felt compared to the easy first three of my 8 miles on Sunday- although- quiet honestly the times were totally the same- it just felt easier on sunday. Ah well- I'm excited- and interested to see how I do pace wise. I think last time I ran a 5K I slowed down with a friend who has issues pacing herself and I finished around 32- so I'll be happy if i"m in the high 20's range I Think.

I do really like Medford- I used to live not far from there- I'm pumped. Also- not spending extra money- also awesome.

@ddmom0811 I Have certain tights I have to cross off the list b/c they either feel like they are falling down- or the bottom edge of the wide waist band has a thick seam- and it TOTALLY feels like it's falling down. As soon as I get that sensation- they are crossed off "running tights" list.

Also- I am now seriously starting to question my underwear choices for research and race prep! I need to settle on a pair for the race- and I'm struggling- the ones with seams stay in place on my butt- the seamless microfiber onces- no inner thigh chafing- but they don't stay on my butt- so I wind up with an epic underwear wedgie!!!

The most success I've had are the cotton thongs (TMI folks I know) - no chafing- and no extra wedgie (whatever is -is)... I'm open to suggestions at this point. And no shorts- I can't run in shorts unless I double up with spandex under neath- in which case- I would just wear my fitted capris. (the 'runners' shorts with the bike shorts under neath- HA- the spandex shorts are too short- and the thigh hole isn't cut generously enough so all of it winds up in my crotch anyway # lifterproblems #quadsfordays #shesquatsbro #tomanyhashtags) sigh.

Friends! Country Man! Fellow runners- lend me your underwear.
    no don't do that- just give me more options. please?!?!?!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I found the next trail I want to run. My wife mentioned that she'd like to visit Banff some day. I've always wanted to go there. I decided to see how long of a drive it would be (20 hours) and ended up getting distracted and took a virtual tour using Google's StreetView. Turns out they have some trail cataloged.

https://goo.gl/maps/xYj0c

oomt8592lu76.jpeg
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I found the next trail I want to run. My wife mentioned that she'd like to visit Banff some day. I've always wanted to go there. I decided to see how long of a drive it would be (20 hours) and ended up getting distracted and took a virtual tour using Google's StreetView. Turns out they have some trail cataloged.

oomt8592lu76.jpeg

I'm so going with you - beautiful!

@jorocka girl talk about TMI I do commando in shorts, capris and long running pants. Makes Skip nuts, but I hate my undies riding up or falling down. She says she never has that problem so I'm thinking kids hanes has it all figured out and they should teach other manufacturers. :wink:
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DATE ... MILES
    8/1 ... 16.5
    8/2 ... 10
    8/4 ... 5
    8/5 ... 8
    8/6 ... 5.25
    8/8 ... 17
    8/9 ... 6
    8/10 ... 4
    8/11 ... 5.5
    8/13 ... 5.5
    8/15 ... 13.1
    8/16 ... 10
    8/17 ... 6
    8/18 ... 5.5
    8/20 ... 9
    8/22 ... 22.5
    8/23 ... 5
    8/25 ... 5.5

159.85 done/200 goal

@7lenny7 - that trail looks beautiful! I woudl definately make the trip.

@JoRocka - I am in the "no underwear" category. I switched to commando 15 years ago and haven't looked back!
  • JoRocka
    Options

oomt8592lu76.jpeg

@jorocka girl talk about TMI I do commando in shorts, capris and long running pants. Makes Skip nuts, but I hate my undies riding up or falling down. She says she never has that problem so I'm thinking kids hanes has it all figured out and they should teach other manufacturers. :wink:
    I was a firm believer in commando as well- till the gusset seams start rubbing me in weird ways that after more than 5 minutes became more than a minor annoyance.

Otherwise- commando it is for me- with all the running I've been washing my dun-dun-dunnnns at a incredibly high rate LOL- my "hang dry" section of laundry is substantially bigger than the "tumble dry low" section LOL
  • Jennifer8348683
    Jennifer8348683 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Just starting today so my goal is 20 kms by August 31
  • JoRocka
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Totally forgot to post my Princeton canal picture! 20150823_194611_zps3ypbyl7o.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    That picture is so not what I imagine when I think of New Jersey. Beautiful! Yes, I'm aware it's the "Garden State" and that apparently it is not all paved in concrete. I just never see those parts in pictures, really.

Wait a minute...that's not on top of a building is it???
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Nope- not a building! It's next to the canal in Princeton- Princeton really is stunning- there is some really amazing places in NJ- up in the North West along the very north east side of PA- and then a few little spots here and there. Princeton campus is extremely well manicured and they have some really lovely running trails- there is a battle field not to far from here either.

This state is super weird. LOL
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Managed to blitz my first km in 6:49 min and an average pace of 7.26 mins/km in tonight's 4.6km run.

exercise.png
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options

oomt8592lu76.jpeg

Wow wow wow I wish I live just 20 hours away from that trail, alas for me it would be a long plane ride.
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As a true New Jersey girl I can tell you it's a very beautiful state, it's not all Newark Airport. :smiley: Plus there are a million things to do there. @jorocka can't see your picture, must be instagram, the company blocks that.

Oh yeah I wear under amour shorts and don't have the seam issue.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/3 4.02 miles
    8/5 2.56
    8/13 4.11 (got sick for a few days)
    8/15 3.77
    8/16 2.17
    8/18 3.05
    8/19. 3.2
    8/21 3.76
    8/23. 3.65 -- traveling in Chicago and in a long time this was a first treadmill run. Did not like it really.
    8/25 4.73

35.04/50

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @twomaddogz Already made your goal with so many days left in the month? Well done, that's great!

@7lenny7 and @JoRocka Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone who answered regarding the running hat!
    I think I'll invest some money and buy myself the UA shadow cap. And maybe also the funny "bandana with neoprene visor" thing that I discovered, if I can find both for a reasonable price.

Regarding carrying phone, keys, and such:
    on short runs, I just keep my phone in my hand. Weirdly enough, that never bothers me. The keys (minus lanyard and other dangly stuff) go to the pants pocket. I'd never ever by pants that don't have pockets!
    For longer runs, I use (temperature-depending) either a belt with a water bottle (this one) or one without (that one). Neither of them bounces around.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

oomt8592lu76.jpeg

@JoRocka I'm with you on seams. Bra seams are horrible for me. And anything that rubs a scar I have above the pubic bone. I have a pair of compression shorts from Nike that work well too.
    I found shorts with a panty like liner, not the long shorts and that works great too. Mpg brand fits me.

wow, I thought everyone was comando. Running shorts with liners are made to skip the undergarments. Cotton against yoyouru sensitive areas?
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    16km this morning for a total of 157 miles/252km this month. 98km to go for August.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    • 8/02 - 7.2mi
    • 8/06 - 5.2mi
    • 8/14 - 8.1mi
    • 8/18 - 6.4mi
    • 8/20 - 6.3mi
    • 8/25 - 6.6mi
    exercise.png

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    3.31 km this morning for 48/50 km. Hopefully will hit 60 km. My hope is for 100 km next month.