Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I find this all very funny..people accuse me of being all semantic and *kitten*..but come one folks.

we all know to lose weight you need a calorie deficit...how you get that deficit can be a variety of ways.

eat less food, exercise more or a combination of both.

But when it comes down to it....EXERCISE IS NOT A REQUIREMENT TO LOSE WEIGHT.

There are people everyday who lose weight who can't exercise...yah can't exercise. Just normal movement can and does cause issues for some folks so they lose weight by eating less.

So exercise can create a deficit but in the long term it really is not the way weight is lost...as pointed out many times you can exercise all you want but if you aren't burning more than waht you are consuming...

All true. But the question wasn't whether exercise is a requirement.

no it was a bit of a helter skelter question that has an answer that requires more than yes or no...more along the lines of what are you thoughts of using exercise to lose weight...

and I always go back to "what about the people who can't exercise"...

if they can lose weight then that is your answer...doesn't matter if you use it to lose there are those that can't and so the OP was in a sense wrong...

exercise can create a deficit but it doesn't always...the only thing that can guarantee the weight loss is eating less than you burn...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I find this all very funny..people accuse me of being all semantic and *kitten*..but come one folks.

we all know to lose weight you need a calorie deficit...how you get that deficit can be a variety of ways.

There are people everyday who lose weight who can't exercise...yah can't exercise. Just normal movement can and does cause issues for some folks so they lose weight by eating less.

So exercise can create a deficit but in the long term it really is not the way weight is lost...as pointed out many times you can exercise all you want but if you aren't burning more than waht you are consuming...

no it was a bit of a helter skelter question that has an answer that requires more than yes or no...more along the lines of what are you thoughts of using exercise to lose weight...

if they can lose weight then that is your answer...doesn't matter if you use it to lose there are those that can't and so the OP was in a sense wrong...

exercise can create a deficit but it doesn't always...the only thing that can guarantee the weight loss is eating less than you burn...

or burning more than you eat. ;)

Edit: But seriously, saying calorie deficit is the only thing doesn't in any way negate exercise being helpful. It is.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Edit: But seriously, saying calorie deficit is the only thing doesn't in any way negate exercise being helpful. It is.

Exercise is for health and fitness. Can it help create a deficit sure it can...if you can exercise.

But in a world where people couldn't exercise...people could still lose weight.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Exercise is for health and fitness. Can it help create a deficit sure it can...if you can exercise.

Of course. Has anyone in this thread suggested that exercise was mandatory?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Not that I remember (I didn't re read this entire thread) however when people argue that you can create your deficit with exercise so it isn't 100% exercise it's not totally accurate.

1. You can exercise and not create a deficit.
    2. If you can't exercise you need to rely totally on less food to create the deficit
    3. what happens if/when you can't exercise.

So I have always felt that these types of discussions do a disservice to the community as a whole.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not that I remember (I didn't re read this entire thread) however when people argue that you can create your deficit with exercise so it isn't 100% exercise it's not totally accurate.

2. If you can't exercise you need to rely totally on less food to create the deficit

So I have always felt that these types of discussions do a disservice to the community as a whole.

Well you are certainly entitled to your feelings, but IMO saying exercise isn't helpful for weight loss is the disservice.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

You are correct, the deficit is what causes weight loss. How you obtain that is up to you. However, many people think that joining the gym, lifting a bunch of weights three times a week, or stepping on an elliptical 2-3 times a week gives them the license to eat what they want and expect to lose weight. Doesn't work like that. It can, however, accidentally work like that for some people if they are creating a deficit without knowing it. Those are the people you will never be able to convince otherwise.

I've heard people here say you can't out train your diet. I agree with that mostly, but if I adopt a regular exercise schedule then I burn more calories than normal, my diet is going to have increase calories without any adverse effects. Am I out-training my diet? Depends on how you look at it. If I were to stop working out on my regular schedule but didn't change my diet, I would certainly start gaining weight.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Why would this be a disservice? I stated above that I find exercise very important in creating a deficit. I never stated I couldn't lose weight without exercise, but in personal experience, it works better for me if I have both in line. There have been others who stated the same thing. So I think it is important that others know you can use exercise to help create a deficit. It absolutely can help with weight loss. There have been so many posters, including yourself, who have discussed the bolded that I don't think anyone could leave this thread thinking exercise is the "end all be all" for weight loss. If they do get that out of this thread, then they probably came in with that mind set and simply are not going to change their mind.
  • SezxyStef
    edited October 2017
    Options

Well you are certainly entitled to your feelings, but IMO saying exercise isn't helpful for weight loss is the disservice.

eh maybe...so what do you say to people who say this

I am going to the gym 6x a week working out 1 hour a day lifting weights and doing cardio but not losing any weight...what should I do????

Or this

I am eating right, exercising but not losing? why not?

or this

I am logging 1600 calories and should be losing 1lb a week and not...what do I do?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I am going to the gym 6x a week working out 1 hour a day lifting weights and doing cardio but not losing any weight...what should I do????

Eat less.

What do you say to someone that does no exercise and complains of having to eat so few calories to lose weight?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Subjective---Exercise (what kind?) can also cause a weight gain or slower loss on a scale (assuming that is your unit of measure). Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. Replace fat with the muscle, at some point, will net a loss, equalization or gain, though a likely more attractive gain.

The proportion of each matters, based on the goal of the achiever and their starting point. Not a one size fits all answer.

I know what you are trying to say here but this will confuse lots.

Muscle takes up less space than fat but 1lb is 1lb...

you can't replace fat with muscle they are different components

weight gain vs fat gain are two different things.
    weight gain from exercise is typically water weight
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Subjective---Exercise (what kind?) can also cause a weight gain or slower loss on a scale (assuming that is your unit of measure). Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. Replace fat with the muscle, at some point, will net a loss, equalization or gain, though a likely more attractive gain.

The proportion of each matters, based on the goal of the achiever and their starting point. Not a one size fits all answer.

If the person has a calorie deficit there will always be fat loss. Yes, temporarily they may gain water weight with new exercise and maybe even a little muscle. But they will still be losing fat and unless they have very little fat to lose they'll also lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Eat less.

What do you say to someone that does no exercise and complains of having to eat so few calories to lose weight?

eat more protein and fats cause they keep you feeling fuller longer
    do volume eating with low calorie foods such as veggies
    drink more water with flavor perhaps.

because I don't know if they can exercise so giving them the options with food is the best path.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Eat less.

because I don't know if they can exercise so giving them the options with food is the best path.

I'd tell them to exercise. If they f/u with "I am unable" then I'd go to food only. Because exercise is going to make is easier.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Eat less.

So suggesting exercise if it is an option is not valid? I don't think most in here would agree.
  • SezxyStef
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Eat less.

So suggesting exercise if it is an option is not valid? I don't think most in here would agree.

I will never suggest exercise as a method to lose weight no.

IMO Exercise is for health and fitness not weight loss. YOu can exercise all you want and not lose weight but if you eat less than maintenance you will lose weight period.

Eat less.

I'd tell them to exercise. If they f/u with "I am unable" then I'd go to food only. Because exercise is going to make is easier.

Exercise is easier for you...but lots don't want to exercise, don't enjoy it and because they don't enjoy it if it's a requirement to lose weight they are gone...thems the facts.

ETA: I am a person who was that way...I hated exercise...but those who know me from here know I now run, bike, swim, lift weights, walk, yoga, ski, snow shoe....and I quit smoking to make those things easier...but I get it's for health and fitness and I get to eat more food because of it...but I enjoy it...there are plenty who hate exercise.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think diet is more important. This past spring I was working out 4-5 days a week, 45 or 50 minute workouts, should have put me at a solid caloric deficit and I didn't lose a single pound. I gave up on the gym and have been intermittent fasting with minimal exercise since late summer because my schedule got busier, and I've lost 5 or 7 lbs doing that. It might be my genetics, I don't know, but I was surprised at how ineffectual exercise proved to be for me in terms of weight loss. I figured the weight would melt off with all that working out.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

I cant believe there's nearly 20 pages of this. Your question was clear and a deficit, no matter how you get it will lead to weight loss.