Best Forms of Exercise in a Heat Wave...

Options
It's been really hot (40C/105F) in my area this week, and VERY humid. I have not been motivated to bike or jog at all...

Any suggestions (besides walking and swimming) for active things to do outside that aren't so tough in the heat?

Replies

• airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wait until after 7 to go out, so at least the sun isn't high in the sky.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Indoor "walking"

Jessica Smith TV has walking workouts. Since you're a runner....look for one of her "power" or Hiit workouts. It will have some jogging (in place).

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+cardio

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lots of lifting, with fruit if possible.

margarita.jpg
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Get out before the heat hits, or do HIIT or some other body weight workout that allows you to quit (and be close to home) if you begin to really overheat. The added bonus is that as you workout in the heat more, you'll get used to it.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    the_texreb wrote: »
    as you workout in the heat more, you'll get used to it.

We have 2-4 days a year like this...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - going to try to get up earlier to get out there, I think.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My favorite extreme heat workout is sleep. I'm sorry, but heat and humidity just do me in.

There is always the gym with AC when things get dicey ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - going to try to get up earlier to get out there, I think.

Yeah, either get up earlier or stay up later and avoid mid-day workouts.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's why I have a gym membership. Between Winter and Summer here, there just are too many days when working outside is difficult.

Also, exercise bike and exercise videos (assuming you have AC, otherwise, well, good luck).
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I just get out and do what i do, but pay attention to what my body is telling me. And i work at hydrating a lot more throughout the day. And i will let up on the duration and/or intensity of the workout. The rougher conditions now help to improve performance when it cools off this fall.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    It's been that hot here too. It's tough because it's 37 with the humidex by 9:00 am and it doesn't quit till 10 pm, peaking at 42 at 7:00 pm. This summer is so weird.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love running in the heat, but I'm weird. Try wrapping a cold towel around your neck. They really help. All exercises are going to be worse in the heat. Maybe joining some sort of sports league would get your mind off of the heat.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Outside and fun? Hoola hoop (in shade - anywhere). Jump rope (in the shade provided ground is fairly level). Racket ball is sometimes good, depending on the time of day and if there are trees/shade above the court, as is straight up wall ball against an abandoned building (shade from building is good and usually nobody give a flip if you are hitting an old tennis ball with an old racket against a wall somewhere unless you break out the windows).

Agree if you do run, go early and hydrate the day before. I get up at 5:30am and even on bad days I'm out the door by 6:30am. Running in the evenings here in FL is after 8 or it's still pretty hot.

Good luck
    ~leslisa
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It's been that here as well, I get up early and run before it gets light. Here between 5pm and 7pm it's the hottest, so mornings are the best for avoiding the heat.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The humidity has been horrible lately here too. There's usually a month or so of high heat/humidity in our summers though, so it's not unexpected. I'm honestly just less active in the summer, with the exception of my job when I do field work. When I do workout, it's inside. There's lots of indoor cardio you can do, as people have mentioned above: jump rope, hula hoop, step, etc.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, I got up early to run. Take a nap later when you would normally run if you can't get to bed earlier the day before. I've also tied ice in a bandana tied around my neck before, and I run through every sprinkler I can find lol.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

God I would kill for only 2-4 days like that. LOL! Here that's called summer... B)

But to answer your question, like others have said, go early or late. I guess when your summers are always like that every day your body gets more acclimated to it. That doesn't mean it isn't hot just I know what to expect when I go run. Good Luck!

• ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those temps suck. It regularly gets that hot here. In my experience, you've just got to set the alarms and get up early! Out the door by 7:30 AM, back inside by 9. At 9:01 exactly, it's too hot to do anything but melt.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    get up and out before the sun. try cycling. swimming sounds like it would be awesome in those conditions - why so against it?
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    swimming ofcourse
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I wish for only 2-4 days a year...try 2-4 months! I keep thinking...hopefully only 6 more weeks of this at most.

I live in Texas...do I need to say more...

If I leave the house around 6:30 AM...it is tolerable. Sometimes even at 9 at night it is still over 90 degrees.