Is it just me?

Options
I joined MFP a little under 2 months ago..and within those two months I've been hit up by at least 15 people masquerading as "supportive friends", trying to sell me some bogus shake, drink, supplement or etc.
Does me being fat make me seem like an easy target who will just go for anything that promises weight loss?!
I'm educated in the fact that the only way I'm going to lose weight is CICO, and it's working great for me...it's just rather annoying.
Anyone else get this???

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've never run into this problem.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a little under 2 months ago..and within those two months I've been hit up by at least 15 people masquerading as "supportive friends", trying to sell me some bogus shake, drink, supplement or etc.
    Does me being fat make me seem like an easy target who will just go for anything that promises weight loss?!
    I'm educated in the fact that the only way I'm going to lose weight is CICO, and it's working great for me...it's just rather annoying.
    Anyone else get this???

Yes, welcome to the world of marketing. Ignore them. Stick to your plan, you're on the right track.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh they all think they're the only ones to come up with the idea to "sell" on here. Seriously, ignore/block them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    One or two.

Ignore, delete, block, whatever's necessary, and move on.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, sellers of the MLM crapscams see MFP as an opportunity to shoot fish in a barrel. It's really annoying. I'm not even polite to them anymore.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The worst is when users with bars over their profile pic give you advice. :| Just ignore and move on. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

:laugh:

I haven't had any, probably because I'm in Australia and it'd be too hard.

I would love to get a message from one of them, as I have a very well thought out reply :wink:

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The worst is when users with bars over their profile pic give you advice. :| Just ignore and move on. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

: laugh:

I would love to get a message from one of them, as I have a very well thought out reply :wink:

Yeah, I've never had any messages like that and assumed it was because I was in Australia, but even now that I'm in Toronto I still don't get any.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get this???

Don't accept friends or put some parameters on those you are willing to accept.
  • Machka9
    Options

: laugh:

Yeah, I've never had any messages like that and assumed it was because I was in Australia, but even now that I'm in Toronto I still don't get any.

I'm in Australia too, but I've had one or two in messages. Delete works.

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't accept blind friend invites.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've never had that problem on MFP, is that what you mean? I have had a couple of friends in real life who have noticed my weight loss and asked what I'm doing. When I tell them about MFP, they immediately tell me about 21 day fix and that they are coaches and I should give it a try. Um, I've lost 55 pounds on my own (for free), pretty sure what I am doing is working so why pay for something else?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

Aww man. Blind people need friends too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have not had that problem, but I delete every single blank friend request unless we've had good forum interaction and we think similarly about weight management issues, and I don't always accept requests that contain messages. In other words, I'm pretty darned choosy, but it's nothing personal against anyone.

However, I did get a PM a few weeks back from someone who was PMing practically the entire board trying to sell her product. Reported her off the bat and blocked her.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get this???
    unfortunately, a calorie counting website is a great place for marketers to peddle their wares.

fortunately, you can delete their messages, remove them from your friends list, and block them

it must be worth the effort for them. i mean, there are a lot of threads on the boards from new users asking about the efficiency of detoxes . heck, i was sold on garcinia cambogia my youtube reviews when i first started out
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've never had that problem on MFP, is that what you mean? I have had a couple of friends in real life who have noticed my weight loss and asked what I'm doing. When I tell them about MFP, they immediately tell me about 21 day fix and that they are coaches and I should give it a try. Um, I've lost 55 pounds on my own (for free), pretty sure what I am doing is working so why pay for something else?
    Yeah, I'd say 5 of them at least were for 21 day fix! Lol I don't get it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've written in my profile to please include a message with a friend request. 9 times out of 10 there is no message! I doubt many people even bother reading profiles...

• Machka9
    Options

I've written in my profile to please include a message with a friend request. 9 times out of 10 there is no message! I doubt many people even bother reading profiles...

Yep, I've done the same thing. And probably most of my few friends have actually read my profile and provide a message. :)

I sure check the profiles of any who send me friend requests!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I've had two friend requests that were outright sales attempts and one friend I accepted who just wouldn't shut up about cleanses and x-day challenges and crap. F that noise.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Depends also a bit were you post

I noticed that one post of me in the welcome section when i joined here, and i got FR, Offers, got hit on etc.

From there i moved on and away and it stopped :)

Its rare, and i ignore what i get.