Skipped 2 menstrual periods

Options
ive lost 60 pounds in the last year, 20 or so within the last 3 months. I've skipped 2 periods now. (definitely not pregnant. I even had a blood test done to triple check) I just briskly walk almost everyday about 5 miles. And I eat about 1200 calories a day. Sometimes more. Sometimes maybe a little less. I feel like I'm definitely not starving myself, nor do I have a super strenuous workout plan. And I'm not underweight. 145 lbs 5'7". Anyone else experience something similar?

Replies

• eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it's more common than we think, mine was extremely delayed this month, I've been on here for two months and without the water retention, I would venture to say that I'm close to a 20lbs loss, walking 3.5mi. for cardio x 6 days a week and lifting 3x a week.

I'm usually pretty regular, I asked my friends list the same question a couple weeks ago.
    I found this: http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Can-weight-loss-cause-you-to-miss-period?/6/1/25339335

ETA: did you see your gyno for the blood test?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat and oils? :grey_question::grey_question:
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Are you under significant stress? I've been late only twice in my life. The first time I was extremely stressed out and emotionally drained. The second time I was very ill with a bad flu that turned into walking pneumonia.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are you only eating 1200 cals with those stats?
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How are old are you?
    Its common to first have infrequent periods before finishing with them all together
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same when I was eating 1200 cal and exercising. I missed 5 in a row (blood tests showed I was not pregnant and had no underlying reason but that I was not ovulating). You need to start eating back your exercise calories (a 5 mile walk would burn up to 500 calories) - your periods will eventually come back by themselves provided underlying medical issues have been ruled out. Your body is just switching off an "non-essential" function as it doesn't have enough fuel, and it will probably take a few months to get back to normal. As a previous posted has said, up your intake of healthy fats as it helps to regulate hormones.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    amenorrhea, i got diagnosed twice. Had to take weight gain pills. The only advice i have is take it easy with diet and exercise, set your goals to be a little less aggressive
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would eat more. Depending on your goal you could be getting close. Usually people severly underweight loss their periods and people severely overweight have irregular ones. I lost 100 pounds and mine became more painful and heavier when it was hardly there at all or continuous (had it for weeks at a time). So double check your goal and possibly readjust your calories accordingly. I hope everything is back to normal soon!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1457. That's what your body would burn just keeping you alive in a coma. Let's put it this way - even if you were bed ridden, it would be too little food. Your body can't waste those precious calories on your period when it's hard enough to keep you alive.

With your stats, there is no reason whatsoever to eat so little.

Go here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, enter your info, pick a 10% deficit max, and eat that.

I did lose my period for a while too, and I was eating 1700 calories. It came back when I started eating closer to maintenance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    See the gynecologist. Get to the bottom of it.
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I saw my dr. They aren't concerned with me only losing 2 periods. I'm not under stress or anything and I still want to lose weight. I'll try eating a little bit more protein and fat though.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    steeheart wrote: »
    I saw my dr. They aren't concerned with me only losing 2 periods. I'm not under stress or anything and I still want to lose weight. I'll try eating a little bit more protein and fat though.
    The fat would do the most good for this issue (in my uneducated opinion) if you have to pick between the two.

• steeheart
    Options
    I stopped counting my calories months ago, because I pretty consistently lose about a pound every week. Or half a pound. So I dunno. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm not starving myself. And not losing crazy fast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting my calories months ago, because I pretty consistently lose about a pound every week. Or half a pound. So I dunno. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm not starving myself. And not losing crazy fast.

So how do you know you're eating 1200 cals?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

How many grams of fat per day are you eating? One recommendation I've read is .35g per pound of bodyweight. So for you, that's about 50g of fat. Make sure you're eating that much fat. Many people recommend olive oil as a "good fat" to add to things.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

But if you lost 20 lbs in the past 3 months, that's more like 1.5 lb a week. Probably need to eat more and slow down your weight loss.

I consistently lose .5 lb a week (I am shorter and close to goal), and I always get my period. But last month it only lasted 2 days. Very strange, especially considering I'm on the Pill, so I'm not even ovulating. I don't know what to make of it, but if it happens again I will have to evaluate further.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

You say you've lost 20 lbs in the last three months, which is more than a pound and a half a week, not a pound or a half pound. That is very aggressive (a.k.a. "crazy fast") when you're already a normal, healthy weight (and were barely "overweight" when you were 20 lbs heavier).

And I echo Tavistock Toad -- how can you know you're eating 1200 calories if you're not counting? You could be eating even less, although grossing 1200 with a daily 5-mile walk is too low anyway with your stats.

And losing your period is a strong sign that you are significantly undernourishing yourself. Whether you call that "starving yourself" (killing or causing suffering from undernourishment) is pretty much a matter of perspective. You're not dead yet, and you apparently haven't noticed or aren't bothered yet by the lean body mass/muscle you're almost certainly losing. If your goal is aesthetic, you're unlikely to achieve it with this approach, unless you like "skinny fat" or "heroin chic."

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

You say you've lost 20 lbs in the last three months, which is more than a pound and a half a week, not a pound or a half pound. That is very aggressive (a.k.a. "crazy fast") when you're already a normal, healthy weight (and were barely "overweight" when you were 20 lbs heavier).

And I echo Tavistock Toad -- how can you know you're eating 1200 calories if you're not counting? You could be eating even less, although grossing 1200 with a daily 5-mile walk is too low anyway with your stats.

And losing your period is a strong sign that you are significantly undernourishing yourself. Whether you call that "starving yourself" (killing or causing suffering from undernourishment) is pretty much a matter of perspective. You're not dead yet, and you apparently haven't noticed or aren't bothered yet by the lean body mass/muscle you're almost certainly losing. If your goal is aesthetic, you're unlikely to achieve it with this approach, unless you like "skinny fat" or "heroin chic."

This.

• steeheart
    Options
    Okay, thank you for pointing these things out. I looked back, and I've lost 15 pounds in 3 months(13 weeks). So that is more than a pound a week.

I assume that I eat about 1200 calories a day, because every once in a while I'll do a rough estimate.

So what I'm gathering, is that this isn't as normal as I thought it was. I was thinking that more people would chime in with "yeah that happened to me too!".

This seems all very strange to me, because I don't feel like I'm dieting anymore. This is just the amount of activity that i like to do. And this is how much food I feel good eating. I feel like this is maintanence, and I figured I'd stop losing weight when my body was happy with where it is. I don't even know what to eat now. Hah. I'll start eating my apple with peanut butter, or having an avocado everyday, or have a protein shake mid day.

Thanks for all the input.
  • steeheart
    Options
    f73st531hl66.jpg
    Here's a before/now picture. 60 pounds lost in a year. I can't believe it. I just hope I can figure this out and be healthy.