Would you have said anything?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I'd be pissed as hell if some random person butted into a conversation I was having with an acquaintance, so my answer is no.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything. I know you probably just wanted to be helpful, but no need to insert yourself into a conversation. Many people don't take that very well.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No but mostly because I could really care less about others peoples weight. If they want to do two seconds of research themselves they'll easily find its a scam and if they don't that is their problem.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Paul699 wrote: »
    I would have wanted to say "errrm, excuse me, but im waiting to be served here, if you want to talk about personal matters please do so out of work time" but thats just me :)

I was a cashier for 4 years and if you said that to me (or most of my coworkers) you would be served so slowly, just to waste your time even more. And we'd probably squash your bread or bananas or something.

After spending hours serving hundreds of customers that don't even acknowledge you, sometimes you just need a quick chat. Plus it's not like the OP wasn't served. She was.

I know it sounds petty. But we really hate those customers. So glad I don't deal with it anymore.

So are all cashiers passive aggressive?

Im sure some of them aren't, but all of the ones I know or have ever met definitely are. If you got home and your bread was squashed, you'd think "Damn, that cashier didn't pack this very well," you'd never assume we did it on purpose, you wouldn't complain, no punishment for us, but tiny bread for you for the next few days.

When you have 20 people yell at you a day for something you can't control (not enough staff working, not enough cash in your till to give them $500 cash back, it's raining, etc), you find ways to annoy them. Especially repeat offenders.

ETA: Oh, and we need to be passive so we don't get in trouble from the store owners. The only times I've been actively aggressive was if there was a physical threat.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nope, not my business.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was just at the grocery store and wanted to share a conversation I heard between the customer in front of me in line and the cashier. I was right behind this woman who was checking out. The cashier seemed to know her, and asked her if she'd lost weight. The woman said yes, she'd lost about 12 lbs. The cashier, who looked to be at least 60 or 70 lbs overweight, asked her how she'd lost the weight. The woman replied, "Herbalife", and explained that she just started selling it. The cashier stated that she tried Herbalife years ago, but it didn't work. The woman said, basically, that Herbalife didn't work for her the first 3 times (!!!) she tried it, but it's working now. Something's changed in the formula, perhaps. The cashier seemed very interested and asked her for more information. While I checked out, the woman stood off to the side and started writing down information and going through her phone. I wanted to say something to the cashier -- and really to the two of them -- at the very least that it's also about managing your calorie intake. Or, I thought about saying to at least create a food log and try something like this website. I wanted to say that I've lost 70 lbs using that method. But, the woman was still there after I was all checked out and paid for, and I didn't want to seem rude, so I ended up just walking away, not uttering a word. But I just kept thinking "save your money" towards the cashier and kinda sad that they were both sort of being misguided. Maybe I was reading too much into it, I don't know.

Would anyone have said anything if you were in my position? Just curious.

Nope, I wouldn't say a word. Not my business. They need to to figure it out for themselves.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would never say anything to a stranger but my sister has a friend who sells ItWorks and I gladly gave her my opinion on that ;)
    Which she in turn told her friend, who of course defended the product. But I did definitely sway my sister's view on the topic. She knows calorie tracking/CICO works because she has watched me drop 100lbs so far by doing just that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't have said anything to strangers. First of all, any diet can work if you stick to it. I know nothing about Herbalife, but I assume it's not dangerous. The fact that it's not for you doesn't mean it won't be right for the cashier. And if it's not, then it's not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would have said, "I lost X pounds with MFP and it's free!"
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh, yeah maybe, if you framed it like that, like "we're all just women here, talking about weight, as usual, and here's the thing I did", and delivered it in a sunny, friendly way. Although they still might think you were kind of a jerk.

But actually, the other thing is, OP, you don't know for 100% sure that the cashier *was* actually interested and not just being polite to get the snake oil lady off her back.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing. It was two friends having a private chat. If they had looked at you and invited your thoughts, u could have joined in. Just b satisfied that u know a better way for u xx
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I would have wanted to say "errrm, excuse me, but im waiting to be served here, if you want to talk about personal matters please do so out of work time" but thats just me :) apart from that, no i would not have said anything, people believe what they want to believe, and you offering an opinion would not have went down well.

Good luck with that. As someone who worked in customer service, that's deplorable. The idea that someone can't have a conversation with another human being while checking them out is absolutely ridiculous. My opinion...wait in line and practice some patience.

Agreed, it would definitely get you a slow down. I had someone complain about my service speed when I was bartending (and helping another customer) once.....she didn't get another drink (just didn't see her in the crowd....plenty of polite people to serve!) until her husband apologized and asked politely! :wink:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I would have wanted to say "errrm, excuse me, but im waiting to be served here, if you want to talk about personal matters please do so out of work time" but thats just me :) apart from that, no i would not have said anything, people believe what they want to believe, and you offering an opinion would not have went down well.

Good luck with that. As someone who worked in customer service, that's deplorable. The idea that someone can't have a conversation with another human being while checking them out is absolutely ridiculous. My opinion...wait in line and practice some patience.

Agreed, it would definitely get you a slow down. I had someone complain about my service speed when I was bartending (and helping another customer) once.....she didn't get another drink (just didn't see her in the crowd....plenty of polite people to serve!) until her husband apologized and asked politely! :wink:
    Ssems like a nose/face situation for someone who works largely for tips.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I bet you're a joy and receive great service everywhere you go. Why do you feel the need to manage others this way? Do you feel weak and powerless in other areas of your life?

To the OP, I wouldn't have said anything. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh, yeah maybe, if you framed it like that, like "we're all just women here, talking about weight, as usual, and here's the thing I did", and delivered it in a sunny, friendly way. Although they still might think you were kind of a jerk.

But actually, the other thing is, OP, you don't know for 100% sure that the cashier *was* actually interested and not just being polite to get the snake oil lady off her back.

Right, I wouldn't have framed it as "Herbalife is a waste of money" and would have been my usual sunny, friendly self.

I've joined in on convos, as well as initiated convos, in supermarket lines plenty of times. Last time was at WalMart asking the people in front of me how many people their humongous giant subs fed. Answer - 16-20.

I've made a friend from someone I met in a line at a department store.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Not your circus, not your monkeys.

this.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    None of your business so butt out.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As a recovering introvert I tend to strike up conversations more with people on the street - made many friends doing this. Not sure if I would on this occasion, as there isn't enough to go on, but likely no as many people regard dieting myths as gospel - otherwise their weight gain is due to personal responsibility.