Dessert ideas for guests- that are still healthy.

Options
fidangul
fidangul Posts: 673 Member
edited July 2015 in Recipes
I have some friends coming over on Sunday but I don't know what to make for dessert, a part from a fruit salad. I still want it to be interesting but obviously light so that I can join in with them. It would otherwise feel rude to make them eat something that I'm not going to. Any suggestions??

Replies

• kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    chocolate avocado pudding - the recipe I used was from a website called Eat Yourself Skinny. It's delicious and you can't tell it's made with avocado :) let me know if you can't find the recipe and I'll find the link.

You can top with berries or eat on its own, delicious!
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i also make a chocolate brownie cake (no bake) with peanut butter, hazelnuts, dates, honey, coconut oil and cacao (that's it!) - if you want the recipe let me know, it's always a hit with my family!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people reference these two sites: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/ & http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/dessert-recipes.html I haven't tried any of the recipes.

If it was me though - I would just make a normal dessert and a fruit salad. I would eat a 100-200 calories of a great dessert and then some fruit salad. Watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries are all pretty low in calories.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You could make chocolate fondue. Serve it with fruit (that you can munch on), and other goodies like pretzels, marshmallows, pound cake bites, etc.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    You could make a crust less pie, or a fruit crisp. Let them pile on real whipped cream if they want it!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try frozen yogurt pie. My family has been making them for years. I use all light ingredients. You can use any fruit you like, any yogurt you like. So good! Just take it out before dinner to thaw a little if you forget serve it with forks instead of spoons. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/yogurt-pie.html

Yogurt+Pie+3.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually have a few things on hand...I'll usually make a nectarine/cherry/blueberry fruit salad or have watermelon as well as some kind of ice cream and usually my wife will also make some cookies...then people can pick and choose.

Actually, the fruit salad tends to be what gets eaten up.
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Any recipe by Angela Liddon. She does a blog you can search for called "Oh She Glows." EVERYTHING she makes tastes delicious, and it's all vegan (shh!! I promise you'd never know! I've even baked a soft, moist, divine chocolate cake from her books...) so it's healthy, low-calorie, and probably has a lot of other health benefits. Look her up; if not for your party, then for yourself! ...just stay away from her "Life Affirming Nacho Dip." The woman has magical powers but even she can't make veggies taste like straight, stand-alone cheese dip.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Another idea. Fruit Pizza! Bake a sugar cookie mix in a round pizza pan. When cool spread with softened light cream cheese, then decorate with sliced fruit. You can glaze with thinned out apricot jam or skip the glaze altogether.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Cookies. Everyone likes cookies, and it's not a big deal to just eat one and move on (unlike cake or pie where you'd usually eat a lot more).
  • starlite99
    starlite99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My go to is a regular box of cake mix made with Seltzer water instead...takes out a ton of calories and fat when compared to the normal cooking method. The recipe says to use white mix with flavored seltzer water but i've made it the opposite way too, like spice cake or strawberry mix with plain seltzer water. Or add fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, etc to the white cake mix and use the same flavored seltzer water for extra flavor kick. Here's the recipe website.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/misc/show/2472-splurge-expander
  • TardisMom
    TardisMom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Strawberry shortcake- just angel food cake rounds(they are pre-portioned if you buy the rounds and not the loaf), strawberries (sliced ahead of time so they can sorta make their own sauce as they sit) ,and whipped cream
  • starlite99
    starlite99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should warn you that the cake will not rise as much when doing the seltzer water as it would with oil and egg so I divide the cake mix betweeen 2 small square or round cakes and stack them after baking. Add light cool whip in between the layers (sneak in fresh fruit there as well) and then I cover the top with a thin layer of cool whip as well.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    pavlova's topped with fruit / grilled peaches with ricotta, drizzled honey and crushed pistachios / sorbet with fresh fruit / pears poached in wine with lighter ice cream / lighter ice cream sandwiches.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Yum All of these sound great!
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and make homemade whip cream and serve with fruit of your choice.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    all natural layer "cake". Slice a cantalope and a muskmelon in slices. Stack them like a layer cake. Put skewers through from the bottom. top skewers with strawberries. Yummy and stunning!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What about some meringues? I like the grilled peaches idea, or balsamic strawberries etc. A few different fruit ideas would be nice.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt or sugar free ice cream with mixed berries. I served the sugar-free ice cream at a BBQ and nobody even knew it wasn't the real kind.

Another lo-cal option is to make a fruit crisp. The topping is rolled oats with a little coconut oil and cinnamon. Easy and delicious!