Squatting in Heels

Options
I don't know if this is a ridiculous question, so please tell me if it is. BUT I was going out with my boyfriend recently and was wearing high heels. While I was waiting for him I did a few squats to kill the time. I don't know if it was just coincidence but I found them MUCH easier to do. My form was much better and I found I could do more than usual.

Is there a reason for this? Does the elevated height mean you have more room, resulting in better form or something? Would it result in damage to the knees or ankles to do them like this all the time? (At home ofc not in public)

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think it's down to the raising of the heel; it's what olympic lifting shoes emulate so have better hip and ankle flexibility.

Anyways... I wouldn't think about squatting in high heels because 1) I don't wear high heels, 2) It's a bad idea with weights ;

Not a squat but you get the drift;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsVnE2854I
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's easier to get lower with a raised heel. Obviously squatting in pumps is a stupid idea, but you can buy squat shoes or put something hard and flat under the heels of your gym shoes (piece of wood, hard rubber, 5 or 10 pound plates)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    It's easier to get lower with a raised heel. Obviously squatting in pumps is a stupid idea, but you can buy squat shoes or put something hard and flat under the heels of your gym shoes (piece of wood, hard rubber, 5 or 10 pound plates)

This. Squatting in heels is a terrible, terrible idea.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Squat shoes tend to have raised heels and they aren't very bouncy -- they tend to have hard, stable soles, that don't deform much when you put weight on them. That sounds a lot like a pair of pumps.

...But, you know, don't work out in pumps. :) No one wants you to twist your ankle or ruin your shoes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

squatting with weight in heels is a pretty bad idea- but I crank out some body weight squats at work all the time to keep me up and moving and not physically sitting ALL da*n day. 5" heels and all.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's easier but what would be the point? It's better to do them harder as you have better results and better heart rate pump.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Maybe it's easier but what would be the point? It's better to do them harder as you have better results and better heart rate pump.

That's.....not exactly how it works
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ahh makes sense! Might purchase some squat shoes then, thanks for the replies.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

No... it's still relatively harder...

I'm squatting 70Kg, if I slip on my AdiPower shoes, I go up to about 75Kg.

It's still a struggle though... doesn't make it instantly easier.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

squatting with weight in heels is a pretty bad idea- but I crank out some body weight squats at work all the time to keep me up and moving and not physically sitting ALL da*n day. 5" heels and all.

Same. I wouldn't add it to my routine intentionally, but I do them in heels.

Don't really recommend lunges though
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »

Before you drop $100+ on a new pair of shoes, try putting 5 pound plates under your heels.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LOL!

However, back in the "golden age" of bodybuilding, Arnold would stand his heels on a 2x4 when he squatted. It supposedly helped with his form as well as kept him from falling backwards. Nowadays you can get special shoes to mimic this.

And lifting in high heels is a BAD idea!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Before you drop $100+ on a new pair of shoes, try putting 5 pound plates under your heels.

+1

Most people can get away with putting plates under their feet instead of splashing the cash on a pair of olympic lifting shoes. Using shoes with a 0mm drop (i.e. converse chuck taylors) are pretty good.

Try using plates under your feet if needed... and then *kitten* whether you need to get a pair of oly lifting shoes... they have a hefty price tag.
  • DavPul
    Options

Yes
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I think it's down to the raising of the heel; it's what olympic lifting shoes emulate so have better hip and ankle flexibility.

Anyways... I wouldn't think about squatting in high heels because 1) I don't wear high heels, 2) It's a bad idea with weights ;

Could have broken her ankle...
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Could have broken her ankle...

I think her ego is more broken.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is any advantage or disadvantage, in terms of developing muscle, to squatting with raised heels vs. squatting with heels on the floor? When I do pistols, I'm trying to get my heel down. It's easy with a raised heel.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think I figured out squat form by wearing heels! I was struggling with form, and, like you, I was just killing time one day and did some squats in heels at work (without weights, people, calm down) and that's when it clicked. It's probably a great way to teach someone form before they even think about including weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any advantage or disadvantage, in terms of developing muscle, to squatting with raised heels vs. squatting with heels on the floor? When I do pistols, I'm trying to get my heel down. It's easy with a raised heel.

it's a matter of mechanics- with a raised heel you have more mobility- you're removing most limiting factors of crappy dorsiflexion- or pretty much tight Achilles heels.

If you don't have crappy dorsiflexion you won't see much advantage- if you have crappy dorsiflexion- you're going to see some significant changes.

In 5" wedges- I have a perfect form and great *kitten* to grass squats- with no spinal rotation/flexion. It's almost comical.

using little plates under my heels- I get a solid squat- I feel great.
    No plates- I struggle a little.

Part of the issue with mobility/mechanics and what not people think it's one thing or the other. It's not an all or nothing. Once you start working on X- something will fall off or not take precedence- and its' a constant game of tag fixing/working on different things. It's not like once you fix it it's fixed for good. It's just constant tweaking and adjusting.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you do bodyweight squats, not barbell squats. Buying lifting shoes for bodyweight squats would be a big waste.