Squatting in Heels

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    Ahh makes sense! Might purchase some squat shoes then, thanks for the replies.

are you doing weighted squats? are you working with a program that progressively overloads your squats...if not, I wouldn't bother...buying a pair of dedicated lifting shoes when you're not really lifting is pointless.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any advantage or disadvantage, in terms of developing muscle, to squatting with raised heels vs. squatting with heels on the floor? When I do pistols, I'm trying to get my heel down. It's easy with a raised heel.

it's a matter of mechanics- with a raised heel you have more mobility- you're removing most limiting factors of crappy dorsiflexion- or pretty much tight Achilles heels.

If you don't have crappy dorsiflexion you won't see much advantage- if you have crappy dorsiflexion- you're going to see some significant changes.

In 5" wedges- I have a perfect form and great *kitten* to grass squats- with no spinal rotation/flexion. It's almost comical.

using little plates under my heels- I get a solid squat- I feel great.
    No plates- I struggle a little.

^^^ right here! The raised heel masks the limited ankle dorsiflexion and hip flexion. I squat in Adidas Powerlift 2.0's while I work on mobilizing my ankles and hips.
  • Dadof3bbg40
    Dadof3bbg40 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Before you drop $100+ on a new pair of shoes, try putting 5 pound plates under your heels.

Haha!!!
    I thought this was common knowledge
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    It sounds like you do bodyweight squats, not barbell squats. Buying lifting shoes for bodyweight squats would be a big waste.

Ah right yeah I only do bodyweight squats at the min so guessing squat shoes are pointless?
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

are you doing weighted squats? are you working with a program that progressively overloads your squats...if not, I wouldn't bother...buying a pair of dedicated lifting shoes when you're not really lifting is pointless.

Sorry missed this, thanks for the advice. I do lift but not with squats. I should really but find squats tough as it is, bit of a strength training noob.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    It sounds like you do bodyweight squats, not barbell squats. Buying lifting shoes for bodyweight squats would be a big waste.

Ah right yeah I only do bodyweight squats at the min so guessing squat shoes are pointless?

it's a lot of money to spend on something that you're not really using for it's intention...most people in the weight room don't even wear "squat shoes"...i.e. Power Lifting shoes.

like this...

M21865_01_standard.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

these are $180...do you really need to spend that kind of money for body weight squats? There are cheaper ones, but again...not a whole lot of point to them unless you're loading up a barbell. It's like buying a really nice pair of running shoes to go walk in...nothing wrong with walking, but you don't need a kick *kitten* pair of running shoes to walk.

also, unless you get a crossfit type of shoe (which is what I wear), you can't really wear these shoes for anything other than squatting and dead lifting...you can't exactly walk around in these things.
  • Dadof3bbg40
    Dadof3bbg40 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight face squats in heels are effective too
    For best results, hold it at the bottom
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    There's so much to learn :( ... I am a little confused.. I thought that I was supposed to concentrate on my heels when doing squats and not my toes. It is much easier to use my toes when doing squats. I feel more of my muscles being used when I focus on squatting and pushing back up with the heel of my feet. Squats was my favorite exercise until I dislocated a rib doing them. Too much weight, too fast. I haven't been back at the squat rack in about 3 weeks and I miss doing them.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    There's so much to learn :( ... I am a little confused.. I thought that I was supposed to concentrate on my heels when doing squats and not my toes. It is much easier to use my toes when doing squats. I feel more of my muscles being used when I focus on squatting and pushing back up with the heel of my feet. Squats was my favorite exercise until I dislocated a rib doing them. Too much weight, too fast. I haven't been back at the squat rack in about 3 weeks and I miss doing them.

you don't push off your toes...you push through your heels...all that is being mentioned here is that having a heel that is slightly elevated as would be in the picture of the shoe I posted or putting a plate or piece of wood under your heal puts you in a better position...you're still driving through your heels.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    @ cwolfman13 - I understand now, thank you for the clarification! :)
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's so much to learn :( ... I am a little confused.. I thought that I was supposed to concentrate on my heels when doing squats and not my toes.
    Starting Strength teaches to try and go from the very center of the foot, between the heel and the ball, and to lift by trying to raise your hips toward the ceiling rather than by trying to push your feet down into the ground.

I find that following this advice helps a lot with my form. When I blow a rep, it is usually because I tried to drive down with my heels rather than lift my hips toward the ceiling.

• eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Kahuo5A.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've tried a board or plates under my chuck taylors but couldn't tell a difference.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I put 1.25kg plates under my heels. Omfg it makes such a difference to me form
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Make that My form.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord, I just tested that out (barefoot, in my office, with books under my heels, but still) and it made a huge difference. Thanks for starting this thread, OP!