40 year old working mom with 40lbs to lose... anyone else?

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I am a busy mom of two with a full-time job, shift-working husband and am looking for buddies who have a similar story.

I've read so many success stories on this site and want to be one of them but need a little support and external motivation to help get me there. I'm worth it, I know I'm worth it, my problem is not wanting to, my problem is knowing where to begin and finding a groove. I don't have a plan yet and am still open to finding what works.

I'm not looking for the, "you just have to make up your mind and do it" kind of advice. That just depresses me even more. My mind is made up and I do want to do this, I'm looking for buddies in the same boat willing to give and receive support to get started and help each other keep a momentum going.

Christie

Replies

• Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you want me, I'm in.... I gained about 24 lbs and hate it.... Single mom of one.... Not sure how I lost it so nicely the first time... Have no time or energy now.... Good luck to you and to me :)
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am trying to regain a healthy lifestyle food-wise. I have one son and my husband often works long hours. It can be tough, but I'm focused on mini weekly goals.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So you want more supportive friends rather than ones who will explain how it works? Part of it really is mental and it will make it much easier for you if you equip ypurself with the relevant knowledge. Its straightforward and you can do it if you fin a way to deliver consistent deficits. Good luck.

Begin at the beginning.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BarbaraMcInerney
    BarbaraMcInerney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I decided today that I got myself into this mess and its up to me to get myself out of it. I have a friend that I'm in constant contact with for accountability. 41 yo f/t working mom of 1. Want to lose 47 lbs. please add me
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can relate! 35 years old, looking to lose at least 50 pounds. Maybe more, but 50 is my starting point. My husband and I both work full-time and I'm mom to my 6 year old son. Feel free to friend me!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you want me, I'm in.... I gained about 24 lbs and hate it.... Single mom of one.... Not sure how I lost it so nicely the first time... Have no time or energy now.... Good luck to you and to me :)

Thanks! I totally hear you on not knowing how you did it the first time. I managed to lose all of my baby weight and keep it off for years after my kids were born... And then between stress at work and the demands of the kids and their schedules, life seemed to grab me by the scruff of my neck and has been dragging me along behind it ever since. I've gained nearly 40 lbs in the last few years, I lost control of my eating habits, my emotions and my willpower and I want it back!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @ Barbara, Tricia and Scarlet, thank you for taking time to respond ladies. I look forward to getting to know you, supporting each other and losing weight together!
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I lost 70 lbs and gained 25. I got too relaxed
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    44 yr and 53 lbs (maybe more) to go
  • gailmurray900
    gailmurray900 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and need to lose 35lbs at least so feel free to add me
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Wow! I love the responses. Is anyone interested in staying on this thread (or creating a new one) to check I with each other and see where we are and how we're doing from time to time?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    So... For those of you with busy working lives also juggling families, how do you do it? When are you exercising? Are you pre-planning and preparing foods in advance to keep on track? I'd love to share some secrets as to what you are finding works for you.
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I fit in a run a few mornings per week. That will change to evenings as I go back to work in August. I also work in some light strength training, too.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Do you workout at home or are you able to get to a gym?
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm 47yrs and a full time working mum. I have lost 40lb and hit my target a few weeks back. It's totally doable if I can do it! I haven't used a gym and just try to hit 10K steps in a day for exercise but after the summer vacation intend doing weights at home. I have a dog and take long walks when my daughter is in bed as well as trying to walk as much as possible in the day. My weightloss has come from counting calories and making sure I have a pack up at work and not going to the cafe during the day. Recently I realised that if I concentrate on high protein foods, I have less hunger which made eating at a deficit much easier...shame it was when I was almost at my target weight!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well if you work shift work it should be easy to hit the gym during quiet periods ...find something you enjoy doing and start doing it

There's no motivation that can come from outside, but once you start weighing and logging your foods (accurately) and force yourself to do it, and do it again it does become a habit them it becomes a way of life

It's about the food intake first

Then it's about the getting more active ...my fitbit zip helps me there ..and yes I eat back all the calories

Then it's about body sculpting and you can't beat a good progressive resistance (heavy weight) based programme

48, mum of two, work, lost 56lbs, been in maintenance since February ...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal bubaluboo! When did you reach it and how long did it take you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I am a busy mom of two with a full-time job, shift-working husband and am looking for buddies who have a similar story.

I've read so many success stories on this site and want to be one of them but need a little support and external motivation to help get me there. I'm worth it, I know I'm worth it, my problem is not wanting to, my problem is knowing where to begin and finding a groove. I don't have a plan yet and am still open to finding what works.

I'm not looking for the, "you just have to make up your mind and do it" kind of advice. That just depresses me even more. My mind is made up and I do want to do this, I'm looking for buddies in the same boat willing to give and receive support to get started and help each other keep a momentum going.

Christie

I assume you started...so what have you done differently today?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Well if you work shift work it should be easy to hit the gym during quiet periods ...find something you enjoy doing and start doing it

There's no motivation that can come from outside, but once you start weighing and logging your foods (accurately) and force yourself to do it, and do it again it does become a habit them it becomes a way of life

It's about the food intake first

Then it's about the getting more active ...my fitbit zip helps me there ..and yes I eat back all the calories

Then it's about body sculpting and you can't beat a good progressive resistance (heavy weight) based programme

48, mum of two, work, lost 56lbs, been in maintenance since February ...

Congrats on your weight loss. I don't do shift work, my husband does... I am the one at home with the kids when they are home evenings and weekends, and at work when they are at school so there really isn't any such thing as quiet time for me at home. I go to bed when they go to bed and now they are getting to an age where sometimes they outlast me! I have a stressful job and need my sleep :)
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I started losing weight in Jan 2014 and lost 39lb in about 6 months and maintained until I took 3 weeks holiday and gained back 6lb. From then I never got back to counting and slowly gained back 14b in total. I took control again May this year and have lost 15lb since then. It's now vacation time again and I'm determined to not slip back into old habits. I feel more empowered this time as I know my weakness and really want to start lifting and gaining muscle after the holiday.