How many calories do YOU eat to maintain around 130 lbs?

Options

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    spicy618 wrote: »
    Great Post. I'm also 47 at 5'4 and found this very interesting.

What I noticed is that everyone who is able to eat more, is doing Weights in some way. Young or Older. Hmmm.. another sign I must really get into 5x5 again.

Thanks OP, for asking this.

Have a great day!

I don't know if that's true. I lift weights and still can't eat 2000 to maintain. It's a combination between height and overall activity level. We don't know each other. Some people on here not only lift weights, but do their cardio, and have an extremely active life style. Of course they are going to be able to eat more than someone who only lifts weights but is sedentary, or who only does cardio but no weights. There are a lot of variables.

I think the biggest game changer is non exercise activity. (And probably body fat/lean muscle mass-but that is hard to pinpoint without testing).

Agree about non-exercise activity. And what wasn't mentioned is frame size. With a medium frame I'll never be at the low end of a healthy weight range for my height (5'2.5") or eat the same amount of maintenance calories as someone with a large frame.
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 47 5'5" and have been maintaining at 133 to 135lbs for 5 months after losing 42 lbs in 6 months. I work out for an hour 6 days a week (treadmill, weights) and eat 1500 to 1600 a day. I can't have more calories than that, or I gain. Feel fit and happy! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    44 years old, 5'2", body fat probably around 30-35%. I maintain at 134 on about 2000 calories a day working out 3-4x per week doing a mix of cardio and strength training.

I think you would be a good person to ask, if you don't mind. Because you're shorter than some of us and maintain on a bit more, but don't sound like you do an extreme amount of cardio...What is your day to day activity level?
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I'm a 27/m 165lbs if I'm not doing any cardio I need to be eating at least 3000-3200 to maintain my weight. Right now I'm running anywhere from 3-9 miles a day and I have not been able to eat enough to maintain. Feels like the bodyfat is melting off off me but my actual weight has not dropped more than 5lbs since I started my cardio regime over a month ago. I'm eatings 3000 - 3500 cals a day right now. Its tough eating healthy with such a caloric requirement. Find often need to 1000 calorie shakes at bedtime to fill the void.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was angry for a long time over the fact that my TDEE is lower than average, around 200 less than calculators show. Until I just accepted it for what it is - an average, an estimate. Some people will have a higher TDEE, some less, some right on the estimate.

For what it's worth, I'm 53, 5'1, weight around 120ish, not sure of body fat (at 110 I was estimated by Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf at 18%), and my calories are around 1500. I lift weights 3x a week, and do a few 2 mile walks and some yoga. My job is lightly active, though I usually get in 10k steps a day.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    sun_fish wrote: »
    I was angry for a long time over the fact that my TDEE is lower than average, around 200 less than calculators show. Until I just accepted it for what it is - an average, an estimate. Some people will have a higher TDEE, some less, some right on the estimate.

For what it's worth, I'm 53, 5'1, weight around 120ish, not sure of body fat (at 110 I was estimated by Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf at 18%), and my calories are around 1500. I lift weights 3x a week, and do a few 2 mile walks and some yoga. My job is lightly active, though I usually get in 10k steps a day.

I had that same anger too! But once I realized that I felt satisfied at my eating level, that helped.

I, too, seem to be about 200 below most estimates. At this point, I figure that is close enough to simply be logging error. I posted this question because I have seen a little gain lately, even while eating the -200 level. And so I thought I'd see just what the range is, just to make sure I wasn't "starving" myself unnecessarily! Or being unrealistic in my estimate.

• arditarose
    Options

I had that same anger too! But once I realized that I felt satisfied at my eating level, that helped.

I, too, seem to be about 200 below most estimates. At this point, I figure that is close enough to simply be logging error. I posted this question because I have seen a little gain lately, even while eating the -200 level. And so I thought I'd see just what the range is, just to make sure I wasn't "starving" myself unnecessarily! Or being unrealistic in my estimate.

How long has the gain lasted? Anything else going on? Extra stress/more salt, hormonal things?
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a little higher than what most calculators estimate; 48, 5'8', around 125 (don't know bf exactly but I'd estimate around 22%) and maintaining the last couple of years on about 2200-2400. I lift 3 or 4 times a week and do exactly 0 cardio. I am on my feet a good bit during the day, and do walk my dogs a mile or so each evening.
  • BusyMummy1984
    BusyMummy1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 and 126lbs. I'm a mum of 2 who works full times and doesn't exercise. I'm at goal and am 30 years old. To maintain I cannot eat over 1700 ca45aw2x0klfb5.jpg
    lories on average per day or I will gain weight. Too loose weight I have to eat 1200 a day, which I still struggle to do
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am interested and would like to follow this post-- thanks
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    OP, thanks for asking this question. I'm not at goal yet so I won't post my stats, but I am middle-aged and wonder about this very thing.

So, a lot of these calculators depend on height and I was very upset at my last physical to learn I am half an inch shorter than I thought I was (always think of myself as 5'4", but they said 5'3". How dare they?!! That takes away some precious calories from my TDEE!

So anyway, this is not what you asked, but just thought I'd share the following article for anyone else hitting this age group:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-sarver-dolgen/posture-top-3-ways-to-prevent-shrinking_b_3295232.html1

More reasons to keep exercising! ;D

For men the list is easier:

1. Avoid cold water at ALL costs

2. Do not forget #1

Sorry OP I couldn't resist :)

:D
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that calorie requirement depends on whether or not a person lost a significant amount of weight. There has been some discussion here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183188/calorie-requirements-for-a-thin-person-vs-someone-who-lost-weight-to-become-thin/p4

Unfortunately, calorie disadvantage theory seems to be true for me. I can eat the calories MFP gives me at my high weight and maintain, but not at or near goal weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 50. Female. 5'6" 133-135. menopausal. I don't count calories per se but when I've checked I've eaten 1500-1700. I am pretty active.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Very interesting everyone! Keep it coming!
    Friend on here is 5 ft 2 and she maintains at 2300 cals. I think she weighs 130-132; she lifts. . . . often. She runs. . . .once in a while. . . .and she is ripped. That is all. Carry on.

• arditarose
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Very interesting everyone! Keep it coming!
    Friend on here is 5 ft 2 and she maintains at 2300 cals. I think she weighs 130-132; she lifts. . . . often. She runs. . . .once in a while. . . .and she is ripped. That is all. Carry on.

I have a friend like that as well. I think she is a bit taller and weighs a little less with an outstanding body fat%. She can eat like 2400 to maintain. How does that happen? Does the muscle you gain after running a bulk cycle really up your TDEE that much?
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" age 46 and maintaining around 127lb.
    Not sure about my body fat but I exercise 4x week and maintain at around 1500 cals but always eat back my exercise cals. Nice to hear from all the ladies over 40!!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    keeping this for reference
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

But do you weigh your food? I mean, I've seen people with stats comparable to mine who eat 300 less calories to maintain but when you see their diary... generic entries, cups etc.

Anyway, I'm 37, 5'5", 133-134 pounds, and I maintain around 2200 exercising pretty much every day (mostly incline walking and a bit of lifting right now). That includes exercise, obviously.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But do you weigh your food? I mean, I've seen people with stats comparable to mine who eat 300 less calories to maintain but when you see their diary... generic entries, cups etc.

Anyway, I'm 37, 5'5", 133-134 pounds, and I maintain around 2200 exercising pretty much every day (mostly incline walking and a bit of lifting right now). That includes exercise, obviously.

While I no longer weigh or log my food, I went through a long period of time where I did. In fact, I was so obsessive about weighing every morsel that went into my mouth, that is caused problems for me. That is why I eventually stopped doing it. So I think I was about as accurate as one could be in regards to my calorie count.

I believe that calorie estimations are just that - estimations. There will be a range for different individuals, and I just happen to be on the lower end of that range. It is possible since I lost a large amount of weight, this is a result of adaptive thermogenesis. If anyone would like to know more about this, here is an excellent write up explaining what that is:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

While I no longer weigh or log my food, I went through a long period of time where I did. In fact, I was so obsessive about weighing every morsel that went into my mouth, that is caused problems for me. That is why I eventually stopped doing it. So I think I was about as accurate as one could be in regards to my calorie count.

I believe that calorie estimations are just that - estimations. There will be a range for different individuals, and I just happen to be on the lower end of that range. It is possible since I lost a large amount of weight, this is a result of adaptive thermogenesis. If anyone would like to know more about this, here is an excellent write up explaining what that is:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

I lost 80 pounds. I'm sure some people here have lost more. You're probably just eating more than you think, which is often the case when people don't weigh their food...

It's not a huge deal. It just doesn't necessarily mean that your TDEE is lower than others.