How many calories do YOU eat to maintain around 130 lbs?

Options
I'm not asking what the CALCULAOTRS say you should eat to maintain. I'm talking real life results here. Let me be specific--

If you are a middle aged (45-55) female, weigh in the low 130's with a bodyfat of 25-30% how many calories do you eat to maintain your weight? Please include information about your exercise routine also.

I seem to maintain at least 200 calories BELOW what any calculator predicts I should be eating. I am wondering if this is true for others who are my age also. I've read that hormone shifts around menopause cause significant changes in BMR , etc. and I am wondering if that is what is going on.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 32, 5ft5 and 133ish lbs, and I maintain on net 1900 cals exercising 3-5 times a week, mostly running.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If possible please post gross calories as well as net cals! But either is helpful to me.

Thanks everyone!!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5,4", 128 lbs, around 25% bf and 49yrs old.
    I maintain on around 2000 cals a day.
    I lift weights 3 times a week (stronglifts 5x5) with a short 15 min HIIT/circuit workout afterwards and run 3 times a week (for 35-40 mins).
    The TDEE calculators estimated me a tad lower actually!
    I haven't reached the dreaded "M" yet :# , but yeah that could change things i guess.
    Would be interesting to see what other Ladies have to say.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I'm not asking what the CALCULAOTRS say you should eat to maintain. I'm talking real life results here. Let me be specific--

If you are a middle aged (45-55) female, weigh in the low 130's with a bodyfat of 25-30% how many calories do you eat to maintain your weight? Please include information about your exercise routine also.

I seem to maintain at least 200 calories BELOW what any calculator predicts I should be eating. I am wondering if this is true for others who are my age also. I've read that hormone shifts around menopause cause significant changes in BMR , etc. and I am wondering if that is what is going on.

!

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 137 pounds, 44 years old and 23% body fat. I maintain on 1900-2300 (winter when less active is 1900, summer is more like 2300). I think the "variance" between people who are roughly the same age and height and weight is very very much the body fat %... Because low body fat implies higher muscle mass - and you can maintain on a lot more calories if you have more muscle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Most people who maintain on less typically just underestimate their calorie intake.
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't fit the age, cause I'm 19, but I maintain on 2400, though I ride horses twice a week and lift 3-4 times a week.

I am currently 132 pounds, 5'4'' and around 23% bf, far from lean looking.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    40 years old, 5'7". Calculators say my body fat is at 26%, but looking at pictures of different fat% builds for women, I think I am a little lower than that. I maintain 130 pounds with 1620 calories.

I like to eat a lot more than that so I workout to burn an average of 500 extra calories a day, giving me around 2100 calories to play with.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for asking this question. I'm not at goal yet so I won't post my stats, but I am middle-aged and wonder about this very thing.

So, a lot of these calculators depend on height and I was very upset at my last physical to learn I am half an inch shorter than I thought I was (always think of myself as 5'4", but they said 5'3". How dare they?!! That takes away some precious calories from my TDEE!

So anyway, this is not what you asked, but just thought I'd share the following article for anyone else hitting this age group:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-sarver-dolgen/posture-top-3-ways-to-prevent-shrinking_b_3295232.html1

More reasons to keep exercising! ;D
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Age 56. 5'7. Maintaining at 136-137 for 5 months now.
    Daily calories. approx 1400. Some days a couple hundred more.
    Don't workout. Play golf eight months out of the year.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm 43, 5'5 and a little below 135, not sure of BF but I'd guess around 24%, and I'm still losing slowly at 2100 total calories. (I only log during the week and take weekends off, so even if I'm below 2100 during the week, I'm sure I make up for it on weekends with wine and ice cream.)

I lift 2-3 times a week and run 3x a week, usually about 15 miles per week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, 5'2, maintenance range 121-124, net about 1800 cals/day and eat close to 2000-2100 each day. Exercise is walking, I average 14K steps a day, and circuit training with Dumbbells about 3 times a week

FitBit daily burn is about 2200 so I think it's pretty accurate.

I don't use a food scale so I keep my goal a little lower than the calculators say to account for my own inaccuracies.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am 57, 5'5" tall, weigh 129.6 as of this morning (maintaining between 125 and 130 for the last couple of years) and eat 1400 calories without exercise. My exercise varies from day to day. This may include Pilates for 50 minutes, walking anywhere from 5 to 10 km, or a half hour of circuit. I eat most of those calories back so I end up eating 1500 to 1800 calories per day depending on how many calories I earned with my exercise. I envy those who are able to maintain at 2000 per day.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I maintain a bit less (around 122 right now). My net calories swing a lot because my workouts are all very different in duration and intensity. The last day on the chart below (today, August 1) is incomplete. I'll probably eat at least another 1,000 cals today. The calories are probably close since I measure my food by weight in grams and use a heart rate monitor with exercise. But, I also don't believe nutrition information (even USDA tests) are all that accurate to start with. And, most of the foods I eat are unprocessed (vegetables from my garden make up the most food in my diet).

6f2uy1hpwr78.png
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar stats to you. 46ys/ 5ft 2/ 132lbs.

I eat average gross cals of 2000-2200. I don't work in net cals as I follow TDEE method and Fitbit calculates that pretty accurately.

I'm pretty active, run/walk alot and average 21000 steps /10 miles a day.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    OP, thanks for asking this question. I'm not at goal yet so I won't post my stats, but I am middle-aged and wonder about this very thing.

So, a lot of these calculators depend on height and I was very upset at my last physical to learn I am half an inch shorter than I thought I was (always think of myself as 5'4", but they said 5'3". How dare they?!! That takes away some precious calories from my TDEE!

So anyway, this is not what you asked, but just thought I'd share the following article for anyone else hitting this age group:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-sarver-dolgen/posture-top-3-ways-to-prevent-shrinking_b_3295232.html1

For men the list is easier:

1. Avoid cold water at ALL costs

2. Do not forget #1

Sorry OP I couldn't resist :)

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm older than all of you :) , 5'3" currently 124lb, (goal range 126 - 130) which is under my goal due to some mouth surgery. I am very active, aim for a baseline of about 2,000 calories, usually burn an extra 300 to 650 a day, depending on what I do. Body fat depends on the machine and they don't calculate for female athletes over 59. Most of the calculators put me around 26%
  • tigerblue
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    ncfitbit wrote: »

For men the list is easier:

1. Avoid cold water at ALL costs

2. Do not forget #1

Sorry OP I couldn't resist :)

Lol!

• tigerblue
    Options
    Very interesting everyone! Keep it coming!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    34, 5'8" 127lbs maintaining at 1880 lift now 5 days a week with 3-4 days light cardio. Cardio for me just started on my current 12 week plan so I might need a slight increase. So far so good.