Working Hard W/ Personal Trainer. No weight loss. HELP

13»

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    What in the unholy f*** is going on in this thread? I see nonsense about cleanses, starvation mode, webwoo...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    You have not been on thyroid meds long enough to get their full benefit yet, and you are probably not yet on the dose that will properly maintain you. Have patience. Once your dose is at its final level you will see results.

I have Hashimoto's, and I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range.

OP, weight loss takes a whole lot of trial and error to find what works for you. But "tighten up your logging" is never the wrong answer.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    PPS: Also, not everyone with a thyroid problem has an adrenal problem. Primary hypothyroidism is due to the thyroid gland failing, but some people have secondary hypothyroidism which is due to their pituitary gland failing. The pituitary is the gland that sends out TSH and also signals to the adrenals for cortisol (a steroid) and adrenaline production. The two situations are very different and so if you have primary disease and your friend has secondary disease, your med lists may be very different. It doesn't mean either one of you is mis-managed, it means you actually have different diseases even though the thyroid aspects of your symptoms are the same.

Having thyroid disease doesn't necessarily mean that you need any "adrenal support". But sometimes it does. Unfortunately there's a lot of "snake oil" salesmen selling the "adrenal support" idea, and worthless "nutri-ceuticals", to hypothyroid people who don't have an associated adrenal problem.

Sorry for beating a dead zebra on this issue. It just pisses me off when people manipulate the health fears of others for personal profit. The site listed above doesn't look too bad on first glance but you really have to be careful to verify what you read with academic sources that don't potentially have a sales-agenda behind them.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    With Hypothyroidism you will lose the weigh slower than someone with a normal functioning thyroid.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    looking over your diary it looks like you are not using correct database entries. Two days ago you had 9 ounces of pork chops and your diary says that was 297 calories…9 ounces of pork chops is about 500 calories.

also, you have "medium banana" logged, but you should really be weighing that in grams.

I would suggest cross checking your MFP database entries against this site:http://nutritiondata.self.com

Glad to see you are out of jail. You never deserve to be there

Freeman.

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I would encourage I to talk to trainer about your concerns. That's part of what you're paying for.

this!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I would encourage I to talk to trainer about your concerns. That's part of what you're paying for.

this!

You pay for nutrition advice from a personal trainer?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I see a diary full of unweighed entries, and "weighed" entries that are clearly incorrect.

No mystery here - your logging is broken and you're eating a lot more than you think.

This. Do not use cups, use a scale. If you need to log something premade by someone else and you cannot get the ingredients, then use at least the "worst" scenario you can find logged. It looks like you could easily be at 1800 instead of 1400 calories based on your entries.

I agree, especially with solid foods. Cereal is usually measured in "cups" along with a mass in parenthesis. Always go by the mass of everything solid, because there is so much variability with how solid foods arrange themselves. Ever try measuring a cup of broccoli? Throw some cloves in a measuring cup and tell me what it looks like. Only use cups and spoons with liquids, such as oils or drinks.

Weight loss is Calories in, Calories out. After two weeks, you should see results. None of that other nonsense applies. Your body does not need "time to adjust" to a workout before you lose weight, if you are drinking enough water. When I drink enough water, I lose weight. When I don't, I tend to gain a few. So, I would conclude that you are underestimating your food content, or not drinking enough water for your activity level and environment.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

this!

You pay for nutrition advice from a personal trainer?

Yeah, brah. Pound that protein! :smiley:
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Hi - Good luck as you embark on this journey. People here have given great points about accurate food measures, which is essential to know your calorie intake. They also suggest why the scale may not have budged.

I would like to share something else. Do not use the scale as your only measure of progress. Get out the measuring tape, take photos and pull out a few pieces of clothing that are snug and follow your progress with those metrics, too.

I have been on MFP since Christmas and have managed to loose nearly 30 lbs (trying to keep them off, now). However, I am terribly sorry that I never took photos or body measurements. As a result, there have been times when I have just let myself get totally freaked out by the scale - even though I intellectually understand that weight loss is not consistently linear from day to day or even week to week.

Another thing - the first month or so was the toughest for me. I had to become accustomed to not feeling "really full" and understand that this is not a reason to eat more. Someone posted that using a "satiety scale" from 1-10, their nutritionist advised them never to be hungrier than a 3 and never more full than a 7. That is a tool that is especially helpful when adjusting our eating habits.

Good luck and learn from those here who have succeeded!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Are you logging fats? For the scrambled eggs, are you cooking them in butter or oil? And the two pieces of bread in the morning - putting butter or jam on them? It all adds up!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    What in the unholy f*** is going on in this thread? I see nonsense about cleanses, starvation mode, webwoo...

Nobody wants the straightforward answer...
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Same thing happens to me. When I'm working out hard, I lose zero weight. When I do no excercise, I lose weight. This is with keeping to 1200 calories the whole time. I've been told it has to do with water retention from sweating and muscle repair. It's super frustrating. I feel your pain!

No way that you're building muscle at 1200 calories. It could very well be water retention... but I reckon you were eating more than you thought you were.

Caloric deficit = weight loss

Exercise = fitness

It helps to actually read comments before disputing them. She said water retention and muscle repair, which DEFINITELY happens when working out even if you're eating at a deficit.