Rowing is awesome!

Options
at first it might look hard or maybe you'd think it's not effective but Rowing is a full body work out and you what'e even greater.. It has low impact on the joints. Due to my off and on knees and back injury I can only do rowing sometimes .. and it's really a good exercise ..
so for all people who are bored for walking, running or maybe just tired or sore.. Try Rowing
Don't believe me.. Read this article!
http://www.garage-gyms.com/concept2-rowers-why-crossfit-rows/

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I love it and will choose the rower over running when we're given the option. I like running but I've got niggling knee and ankle problems, so I can go harder and for longer on the rower.
  • Farahworld
    Farahworld Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Agreed. I love it and will choose the rower over running when we're given the option. I like running but I've got niggling knee and ankle problems, so I can go harder and for longer on the rower.

I understand. It's sad that I love jumping a lot and sprinting but because of my knees problem I have to avoid them most of the time..to make it worse after my trip to New York I carried a lot of weight in my back pack so now i have lower back problems!
    so my options are really limited..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run but rowing is one of my go-to x-training activities. I try to get in 2-3 sessions a week.
  • Masugimoto
    Masugimoto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I purchased one last January and I love it! Wish I had discovered it years ago.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The only problem is it is too good of a workout. If I did 30 minutes of rowing, i'd be lucky to crawl out of the gym
  • glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rowing is excellent exercise, and does work all of your major muscle groups, but it's actually a very complicated motion (at first) and it's very easy to injure yourself if you do it incorrectly. I've seen way too many people at the gym just asking for back problems on the ergs (ergometers, indoor rowing machines).

Before you ever do any serious workouts on an erg, you definitely need to get your form down:
    http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

Until you've got the technique, you probably shouldn't try any speedwork, so low ratings (strokes per minute) with a good ratio (length of the drive vs the recovery; drive should be quick, recovery very slow). These types of workouts can actually be far more challenging than a sprint, and you'll work a lot harder.

But practice makes perfect, and it's a great workout.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Rowing is/was a game changer for me. I've logged over 1,250,000 meters since I purchased on last October. Not as much as some, but perhaps more than others.

A great workout that in my opinion goes unnoticed by many.
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yeah! Rowing is awesome! I try to mix it in with the rest of the stuff I do but it's always my go-to for conditioning when I can't do anything outside.
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely hooked on rowing! I started out on an ERG, but now row out on the water as well. Love!!!
  • Farahworld
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    Rowing is/was a game changer for me. I've logged over 1,250,000 meters since I purchased on last October. Not as much as some, but perhaps more than others.

wow congratulations
    This is awesome and great!
    Quite an achievement!
  • Farahworld
    edited August 2015
    Options
    glyphhen wrote: »
    Rowing is excellent exercise, and does work all of your major muscle groups, but it's actually a very complicated motion (at first) and it's very easy to injure yourself if you do it incorrectly. I've seen way too many people at the gym just asking for back problems on the ergs (ergometers, indoor rowing machines).

Before you ever do any serious workouts on an erg, you definitely need to get your form down:
    http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

Until you've got the technique, you probably shouldn't try any speedwork, so low ratings (strokes per minute) with a good ratio (length of the drive vs the recovery; drive should be quick, recovery very slow). These types of workouts can actually be far more challenging than a sprint, and you'll work a lot harder.

But practice makes perfect, and it's a great workout.

You know i think I was doing it a little bit wrong, thank you so much for the video, it helped me a lot..
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I tried out rowing last fall and had completely forgotten about it.
    Cardio isn't my favourite, and I think this is going to be my new winter work.
    The training videos are very good.

Cheers, h.

What is the world coming to, I, Miss Sloth, am planning my Sept-March workouts already!
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for good, affordable rowing equipment that I can use at home? Would love the Concept2 from the video above, but gotta feed those kids of mine before I feed my fitness habit ;)
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i'd say don't consider anything else. Save up for longer. The concept2 has a huge online following so you can log your results and compare to the leader boards. You can get row pro and join in online rowing races. Plus they are indestructible.
    I've tried a whole bunch of other rowers and water rowers. They aren't a patch on the C2.
  • DM01234
    Options
    Farahworld wrote: »
    DM01234 wrote: »

wow congratulations
    This is awesome and great!
    Quite an achievement!

Thank you.
  • DM01234
    Options
    i'd say don't consider anything else. Save up for longer. The concept2 has a huge online following so you can log your results and compare to the leader boards. You can get row pro and join in online rowing races. Plus they are indestructible.
    I've tried a whole bunch of other rowers and water rowers. They aren't a patch on the C2.

+1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 is the gold standard among (on-water) rowers. They sell fairly high even old/used, though, unless you get *very* lucky. Concept 2 usually sells a bunch after major rowing machine races (e.g., CRASH-B in Boston), but only at maybe a $25 or so discount (but they're barely used). I agree that they're worth saving up for - last for decades even under heavy use if well maintained, and the online community (via their website) is motivating, with periodic challenges, and you can join virtual teams. Quite a few gyms have them now, too.

But gotta say: On-water is *way* more fun than the machine (check my profile pic). I row on the water preferentially Spring through Fall, and use the machine when our river gets crunchy in Winter.

You're never too old (I know someone who started on-water rowing at age 81!; I started at 46), or unfit (you can go gently at first). Many rowing clubs offer lessons. And yes, you want lessons or a class. It's a technical sport. And you need to be able to swim - not expertly necessarily, but at a self-rescue level. Typically, you needn't own a rowing shell (boat), as the rowing clubs usually have some for member use. In the US, usehttp://www.usrowing.org/domesticrowing/organizations/findaclub to find a club.

If you have good technique on the machine, it will translate to the water (plus there's more to it on water, of course). You need good technique to get a good workout on the machine, so I endorse that suggestion above about videos or coaching from someone who knows. (Hint: If you think you need to set the resistance at 10, you're not doing it right.)
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Question.... Anybody actually row "wholisticaly"? JK, but like with an actual rowboat and a body of water? I like doing as much as I can outdoors and have been casually looking out for a suitable craft for cheap for a long time now.

• glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    +1 to everything @AnnPT77 said, and a note on resistance: a resistance between 3 and 4 most closely simulates what you'll feel on the water, so it's the resistance most people discussing rowing workouts (pyramids, wolverines, etc) will be using, if you decide to go looking for workouts to do on an erg other than just a time or distance piece.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    @Drewlssix - If you're talking about olympic-style rowing (sliding seat, like the machines) - which is what you need to get the whole-body workout - the boats are expensive. New, the cheapest decent-quality singles are $3000-$4000USD minimum. Row2k.com classified ads (or post-season sell-offs at rowing camps like Craftsbury) are the best place to find used ones, but they hold value well (super cheap usually means an unsound boat).

Joining a club and using their boats is cheaper, and really, truly, trust me, you want lessons. That boat in my profile picture will not stay upright in the water by itself - unless you truly love swimming, get lessons! If you're talking old-school big ol' rowboat (fixed seat, as for fishing), I dunno.

Kayaking or canoeing is more financially accessible at the low end, but you don't get as much lower body into the workout. It is a decent workout though, if you push yourself. (How do I know? Some women collect shoes; I collect boats - I have canoes, a kayak, and rowing shells.)