having a hard time with 1200 calorie goal

Options
13»

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to lose 25 as well and had to up my calories from 1200 to 1500. I'll be maintaining for the rest of my life so wanted a diet\life style that I would stick to. It's working out great. You can try doing 1200 for 2 days out of the week and see how that goes. I was losing 2 lbs every 7 days on the 1200, it does work IF you can do it. I'm sure you will find a plan that works for you, just tweak it to suit yourself.
    Best Wishes!!
    Cheryl

It;s amazing what a difference those 300 calories make. I can sustain that easily. I usually average three meals of 500 calories and they keep me full. A 500 calorie breakfast full of protein keeps me full until at least 1pm. But when I exercise strenuously I usually have to eat more so I average about 2,000 calories since I burn over 3,000 throughout the day.

Eat, guys! I don't see why anyone would want to eat 1,200 calories to lose weight unless its for a medical reason.
  • msl12092010
    msl12092010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    I'm on 1280 currently (for a 1.5lb loss) and have been on 1200 for the last 2 months or so. My diary is open if you'd like to have a look for any ideas. I do go over every now and again but make sure it's only once a week and I stick to maintenance cals. I found it difficult to start with, so I exercised a lot and ate back 1/2 the calories, but as I'm a lot busier recently I havent had as much time to workout.

It's probably best for you to up your calories a tiny bit so you have a few more to play with, your rate of loss will be slower but not by much, you're much less likely to binge and you'll be happier :)

how do u view ur diary?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dinia07 wrote: »
    Just started 3 days ago and it's really difficult. It feels like i'm starving myself. Anyone who can share me their experiences under 1200 calories?

I can't lose weight if I am not under 1,200. I usually try to include a lot of healthy protein like chicken breasts and fish, supplemented by a generous amount of green vegetables, with a minimum of carbs. Drinking lots of water and unsweetened tea help. So can low-sodium chicken broth.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you're breastfeeding twins you should see a doctor and a nutritionist about the proper amount of calories and the nutritional composition of your meals. You have special nutritional needs.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    dinia07 wrote: »
    Just started 3 days ago and it's really difficult. It feels like i'm starving myself. Anyone who can share me their experiences under 1200 calories?

I can't lose weight if I am not under 1,200. I usually try to include a lot of healthy protein like chicken breasts and fish, supplemented by a generous amount of green vegetables, with a minimum of carbs. Drinking lots of water and unsweetened tea help. So can low-sodium chicken broth.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you're breastfeeding twins you should see a doctor and a nutritionist about the proper amount of calories and the nutritional composition of your meals.

And if you feel FINE, then that's GOOD FOR YOU. OP doesn't feel fine, so she should be eating more.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 net. Sometimes I balance with exercise. So in order to not starve myself to death, I eat highly nutritious whole food. Right now getting weight off is more important than a cookie. Quite honestly, I'm happy and excited to be on track and find it a fun challenge to get all my nutrients in with the food I eat. The best part is that I have energy and have lost my old cravings for sweets and salty snacks.
  • reese00s
    reese00s Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a twin mom too but boys are now close to 4. Are you nursing or pumping?? If so you need more calories than 1200 or your supply will crash. Also, you will burn a lot nursing. If you aren't, trust me you will be pretty active w 2 even at newborn stage. So try to be patient (I know it's tough) but it took months for baby weight to go on
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I can only do 1200 calories gross once or twice a week and not burn out or become ill. I do aim for 1200 net or eating back exercise calories. I have to eat very nutrient dense calories with little wiggle room on 1200 days. Whole grains, low fat dairy, fresh veggies, lean proteins such as chicken, fish or beans and 1 or less servings of fruit.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    OP if and when I am only 35 lbs overweight, I plan to take it slower and eat more.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old son and a three month old baby boy. I wouldn't be able to consistently live off 1200 cals a day in my situation, never mind with three babies under a year old!! I also can't believe you're working so soon after too!!

My advice is give yourself a break! Eat at a maintenance level, then when you feel up to it gradually start reducing the amount you eat. Give yourself time to get settled into a routine and used to having the babies. I started dieting four weeks after having my second baby and it was too soon. It's only really been in the last month since he's been sleeping through that I've found it easy. And I'm on no where near 1200 cals!
  • dinia07
    dinia07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Feeling much better with 1500 cal. Thanks for all those who give their wonderful advice. I think I could stick longer with this, but still i have to control my cravings for my favorite foods. Well,they say no pain, no gain. I know it will not be easy but I'm looking forward to the day that all my clothes will fit to me just like before. I feel so unattractive because of this excess weight.

• ElizabethLeveque
    ElizabethLeveque Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stay strong. My twins are 4 and those first couple of months were pure hell. I can't imagine trying to lose weight at the same time as you're adjusting to having two itty bitty ones. If you're BF (I think I saw you couldn't manage it), definitely you need to eat more than 1200/day. Are you still 'trying' to BF? If so, PM me. I might be able to help - I managed to BF (via pumping, which is a whole nuther story) my premie twins for 4 months totally. :)