Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cooking Spray or what?

Options
I want to eat really clean so I'd like to get my fats from things like nuts. When I stir-fry veggies I'd like to use very little oil, PAM style but I want to use something with good quality ingredients. So, I'm looking for a healthy cooking oil spray. What do folks recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you use very little oil there really isn't much difference what fat you use. Just go with the one that tastes the best. That's like people putting a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar in their tea because it has 0.00001% or something of some kinds of vitamins. It's just isn't worth it unless honey is the exact taste you are going for.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with olive oil or coconut oil or any other cold-pressed oil and there's nothing magic about any of them either ...you can get both in sprays or just measure them out

Clean eating will only work to help you lose weight if you weigh and accurately log everything...much the same as any form of eating

You need 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight minimum...get it from wherever your preference lies
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Personally I start my stir fries with a tiny bit of any good old cooking oil (sunflower in most cases) then add some extra virgin deep flavored olive oil 30 seconds before taking it off the heat. It adds a rustic taste out of this world.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like to make a batch of flavored oil (like garlic oil) and use it in stir fry.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have been using grapeseed oil just because the spray unit doesn't use any other ingredients in it. It also stands up to high heat fairly well. Olive oil has a comparatively low burn temperature so I don't use that. I sometimes use peanut oil, too - I buy the kind of peanut butter that has only peanuts and salt, and the oil rises to the top unless you stir it in - so a tsp of that gives a nice flavor.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried out the "Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer" which Amazon and other sell? Sounds like it has many of the upsides of PAM w/o propellants etc. that could be bad for me.

Thoughts?
  • eric2light
    Options
    Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer - advertisement says:

Reusable oil spray and mister bottle gives you the convenience and health benefits of an aerosol sprayer in a more economical and environmental form.

Fill MISTO with your favorite oils, vinegars, lemon and lime juice, sherry, or marsala wine. Great for salads, breads, or cooking.

Easy-to-use pump style cap features a 2-step operation: simply pump the container, then and press the valve on the pressurized sprayer for an even mist.
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I stopped cooking with oil a couple years ago and will never go back.

I found it's actually easier to cook without oil.

Just use a little water or veggie broth and keep the food moving in the pan. I don't even use non-stick cookware and have no problems.

Mostly I use a teaspoon of Better than Bouillon with a little water.

Doing the dishes are effortless when there's no oil to cut through. No more scouring the pots and pans. I hardly use soap on the dishes anymore.

And I feel good knowing that's how clean the food was that went inside me.
  • eric2light
    Options
    @GreenTeaPotato, what sort of cookware do you use? I was trying to fry eggs in a cast iron pan.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I have a misto - it works great, but gets clogged easily.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would suggest coconut oil or hempseed oil. Both are very light, and easy to digest. I don't really use oil that much anymore myself, but when I do I'll usually choose coconut oil. Hempseed oil is great on salads, however, I usually reserve it for washing my face.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil won't spray unless you have a warm kitchen - it's a solid up to around 24C / 76F
  • eric2light
    Options
    I have a misto - it works great, but gets clogged easily.

@Queenmunchy easy to unclog? How do you do it?
  • eric2light
    Options
    @yarwell what WILL spray well and fry well via a Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer?
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I buy an organic olive oil cooking spray from Whole Foods just because it makes it easier to get even distribution when I'm cooking in pots or pans. For salads and things like that, I use bottled olive oil
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    @GreenTeaPotato, what sort of cookware do you use? I was trying to fry eggs in a cast iron pan.
    @eric2light

Stainless steel 18/10.

Cast iron needs to be "seasoned" with oil or Crisco or lots of high fat/oily cooking before it becomes non-stick.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    @yarwell what WILL spray well and fry well via a Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer?

Not familiar with the device personally but any of the liquid oils shoiuld spray OK. Check out the smoke point of different oils (higher is better) and consider if you want to avoid too much omega-6 PUFA. Rapeseed / canola oil or olive oil, perhaps peanut or walnut oil.:

There's a good web page of oils and properties https://www.noom.com/blog/eat/2015/06/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cooking-oils/ may not be it but happy searching !
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil for stir fry. It has a nice flavor and you can really crank the heat without burning the oil which is nice. I like to really hot pan for stir fry and regular oil tends to burn.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I want to eat really clean so I'd like to get my fats from things like nuts. When I stir-fry veggies I'd like to use very little oil, PAM style but I want to use something with good quality ingredients. So, I'm looking for a healthy cooking oil spray. What do folks recommend?

Thanks!

I'm stir frying and scrambling eggs in T-fal Professional Non-Stick Fry Pans with just a tiny bit of oil. It's America's Test Kitchen's top rated non-stick skillet. I have the 12.5" and 10" - I always add veggies to scrambled eggs so needed a bigger pan than 8".

I noticed that some of the reviews on Amazon said the bigger pan warped, so I bought it at Kohl's to make a return necessary if one was needed, but I didn't have this issue. I love them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with olive or coconut oil. I use both.