Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cooking Spray or what?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, you don't have to use oil, if you don't want to. A little broth and moving the food will cook it, too. Won't fry it, but will cook it. :)

Extra Virgin is better for dressings and dips and stuff like that. Once you put it in a hot pan, all that expensive flavor disappears, so you're much better off with regular Olive oil...well, your wallet is, anyway. In the store, many are labeled for "cooking" and not.

If you do use oil, it's hard to figure out exactly how many calories. I always log whatever I put in the pan. I know it might be higher than I actually swallowed, but the extraordinary effort involved with calculating exactly how much oil is on each piece of food - it's more than I can do. And way more than I want to do. :)
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Of the Better than Bouillon veggie products, which have the most flavor? Mushroom?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I use an olive oil spritzer thing. Coconut oil is easy to measure by tsp, which isn't that much.

What's unclean about olive oil or coconut oil (or butter, for that matter)?
  • eric2light
    Options
    Oh, I'm avoiding the sorts of propellants that might be in some versions of PAM and the like.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-than-Bouillon-Mushroom-Base/dp/B00016LA98 83% five stars.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    I have a misto - it works great, but gets clogged easily.

@Queenmunchy easy to unclog? How do you do it?

Honestly, there are tutorials online, but I just have it sitting here lol. My mom had one at least 20 years ago too! I love the green pans - no oil needed, but a tiny amount (even 1 gram of butter or a little oil on a paper towel wiped on) works really well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, I'm avoiding the sorts of propellants that might be in some versions of PAM and the like.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-than-Bouillon-Mushroom-Base/dp/B00016LA98 83% five stars.

But you can use olive oil or coconut oil in small amounts without using spray. That was my point.
  • eric2light
    Options
    I assume that I can use less and get the same amount of non-stick using a sprayer, no? Better distribution of the oil than w/o a sprayer?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the spray virgin olive oil. You can get a thinner coating of the pan, and coconut oil is usually solid.

Also, coconut oil only really tastes good with curries, unless you're some freak who can ignore its taste because you think it's crunchy, hippy and herbal, dude. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I assume that I can use less and get the same amount of non-stick using a sprayer, no? Better distribution of the oil than w/o a sprayer?

You can put a small amount of oil in a pan and wipe it round with your fingers or a small square of kitchen roll. I don't think there's any need to be that paranoid about fat intake though.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Like I said an olive oil spritzer works for me.

Olive oil isn't unhealthy, though. So I get wanting to cut the calories, but not the "clean" thing, which is why I asked.
  • eric2light
    Options
    I figure that the fat I eat for health (including nuts) will rarely be heated at all and generally minimally processed. The fat that I use to make a fried egg taste good can be small in quantity. I want the bulk of my fat intake to be from other sources, I think...

Anyone here try to get their fats from nuts? It appears that even inexpensive peanuts have actual longevity benefits. Most diet research, I believe, is about reducing incidence of disease or other things less impressive than improving longevity. When science shows longevity gains, boy, makes sense to pay attention, right? Make sense?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/peanuts-linked-heart-longevity-benefits-pricey-nuts-201503057777