Living with parents makes calorie counting very difficult :/

Options
So I've just finished university and now I live with my parents again. This means I can't really count calories, at least for dinner anyway because I don't know exactly what goes into it. I tried guessing but I'm sure I'm miles off most of the time. Does anyone else have a similar issue, or a way to resolve it? It makes counting calories feel almost pointless not knowing :/

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Tell your parents what you're trying to do; counting calories and trying to lose weight etc.

Hopefully they'll understand an create a separate portion or even give you the recipe so you can work your way from there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cook for them
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    try cooking with your parents. they might appreciate the time spent doing something together, you might pick up a few skills, and you'll be able to figure out what you're eating.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You could help out in the kitchen & that way you'd know what was going into your food. You could also separate your portion out fir fewer calories (i.e. if chicken was being cooked to add to a white sauce, you could take out your portion of chicken and eat it plain, or just add a little sauce on the side.
  • RunningRoundParis
    RunningRoundParis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do cook sometimes, it's not all my step-mum :p although she is very funny with food, and the look on her face when she found out I even weigh myself makes me think she won't be very supportive if she knew I was trying to lose weight :/ I guess I just need a better idea of what goes into her recipes...I just hope she isn't too defensive about it :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do cook sometimes, it's not all my step-mum :p although she is very funny with food, and the look on her face when she found out I even weigh myself makes me think she won't be very supportive if she knew I was trying to lose weight :/ I guess I just need a better idea of what goes into her recipes...I just hope she isn't too defensive about it :)

Stop assuming... weigh your food.
  • RunningRoundParis
    Options
    I'm not really assuming, my step-mother is very controlling. Thanks guys :) I will tet to figure out what's in her recipes
  • SaffronSunrise
    Options
    Hmm..if she's the controlling type, maybe she would be more open if you asked for her "help" losing weight. You've been working hard to lose a few pounds, but you know you'll put them back on with all of her good cooking, so you need a little help staying focused. I dunno if it would work, but maybe?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I was in exactly your position a year ago. The one recommendation I can give is don't just try to eat less during the rest of the day, do more exercise, and judge how you're doing based on how you look and how clothing fits - I did that and gained 20lbs in a few months. I've now moved out and am trying to lose it again.

If you can't cook with them to make dinner or get reasonably accurate calorie counts, you could try just making your own dinners. If I had stayed living at home much longer I probably would have started just buying microwave meals and having them instead.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Cook for them

This. Cook for them a couple of times a week. Share your recipes, let them know how many calories are in it, why it's good for them. Your step-mother may start volunteering the information about her recipes without you even having to ask.
  • RunningRoundParis
    Options
    Yes I suppose asking for her opinion could help, and I do hope to move out soon :P
  • RunningRoundParis
    Options
    I do like to help, but I agree that I need to get even more involved if I want an accurate calorie count...wish me luck :)
  • SaffronSunrise
    Options
    I do like to help, but I agree that I need to get even more involved if I want an accurate calorie count...wish me luck :)

Good luck, girl!! I know how territorial some people are about their kitchen (I may or may not be one of them. :wink: )
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you already thin and trying to lose weight? Do you have a history of EDs? Or is your step-mom just freaking out over nothing?

If you're genuinely too fat and need to lose weight but cannot prepare your own food, just try to eat normal amounts. There are lots of guides online for estimating by the size of the food, but you may be able to just eat a healthy amount of food and exercise to lose weight.

This is a calorie-counting website, so calorie-counting will, obviously, be popular here! But plenty of people in the world lose weight without counting calories. There is no reason that you cannot be one of them. :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    there are days that I choose to eat my mom food (basically I try to guess the best that I can) but almost daily I just do my stuff, or better yet cook for the week and reheat.

and about the whole weight your food, believe me everyone will just get used to it like everything in life!
    my mom used to put the face :neutral: but now psss she is so sweet that she asked me how to use my food scale and weight my food and be helpful.

and now when my family don't see me weighing my food they are like Holly *kitten* WTF is going on :D #Hilarious
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Use the ingredients that she uses to make her dinners, and make the same thing that she makes, but cook it differently and more healthfully or measure your food.

She may be controlling but can she really control what you eat and how much and whether you weigh yourself? Is she going to tell you not to do it and are you going to listen to her? You're an adult, you're entitled to eat the way that you want to eat. Even if that means buying your own food and preparing it as well.

You really need to change your thought process or perception about this issue.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Cook for them

That'll do it!

:drinker:
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I second the question about whether you have a history of eating disorders... Or distorted eating...
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many "adults" let other people control what they can and can't eat just because they live there. You're an adult cook for yourself or move out if your step mom really won't let you prepare your own food (because if that's remotely true it can't possibly be healthy place for you emotionally to live anyways with that level of control). Surely they can't possibly care if their adult daughter cooks her own meals or cooks for them.